Great Ouse Cruising.

Shreck

Featured Posts

Hi everybody.

After many years away from this lovely river I have decided to have a bash up there with my trailered boat. Sorry, it is a Tupperware boat. smile.png

Can anybody provide some up to date information please. I need to know the following:

Are the old offset lock handles with the one and a quarter inch tapering to one inch box ends still

currently used? They used to fit into a cowling on the paddle (slacker) gear.

Which boatyards act as agents for EA for on spec short term licence purchases?

Which boatyards supply reasonably priced services ie. slipway and car parking?

I have already obtained the security key and I have some of the old (or they may still be current) lock handles.

Any other useful information would be gratefully received too. I have already browsed all the relevant websites but none of the above information was available. I have even sent e mails to boatyards but had no reply. However, having dealt with boatyards for more years than I care to remember It does not surprise me,

Regards.

Shreck.

Edited by Shreck

Dunno about boatyards, but there's a slipway at Denver sluice, and the lock-keeper there can sell you a license.

In our experience, most of the spindles are fine with with the large hole in a canal-type windlass, but there are a few higer up the river that need an "Ouse Key".

Cheers,

MP.

Hi everybody.

After many years away from this lovely river I have decided to have a bash up there with my trailered boat. Sorry, it is a Tupperware boat. smile.png

Can anybody provide some up to date information please. I need to know the following:

Are the old offset lock handles with the one and a quarter inch tapering to one inch box ends still

currently used? They used to fit into a cowling on the paddle (slacker) gear.

Which boatyards act as agents for EA for on spec short term licence purchases?

Which boatyards supply reasonably priced services ie. slipway and car parking?

I have already obtained the security key and I have some of the old (or they may still be current) lock handles.

Any other useful information would be gratefully received too. I have already browsed all the relevant websites but none of the above information was available. I have even sent e mails to boatyards but had no reply. However, having dealt with boatyards for more years than I care to remember It does not surprise me,

Regards.

Shreck.

Maybe, it does look like s slip bit never taken much notice when I've been passing.

Phil

Do they have one at Pope's corner marina.

Dunno about boatyards, but there's a slipway at Denver sluice, and the lock-keeper there can sell you a license.

In our experience, most of the spindles are fine with with the large hole in a canal-type windlass, but there are a few higer up the river that need an "Ouse Key".

Cheers,

MP.

I used a BW one and the Middle level one

Stupid boy that I am, just checked my Imray guide which is always by my elbow.

Yes Ely has a slipway. Others not mentioned before are Hilgay road bridge

Barford (Anchor Pub)

Godmanchester

St Neots (by rowing club)

Huntingdon (Purvis Marine by rowing club)

Phil

Pretty sure the only way to use the Barford slip is by going through a private yard (used mainly for glider repairs now I think)

But to add to the list-

Priory Marina, Bedford 01234 351931

Buckden Marina 01480 812660

LH Jones , St Ives 01480 494040

If Denver is a bit out of the way , Northampton Marina (Becketts Park) will sell you a EA licence.

There is a slipway at the weir at Isleham Marina, one at the 5 Mile From Anywhere No Hurry Inn on the Cam just 1/2 hour from the confluence with the Old West River, both slips are EA. Almost certain there is a slip in Ely too.

Phil

The 5 Miles one has good access from the pub car park with plenty of space for turning and parking. I've launched the dog into the river from there but not much else! :)

I wonder what boat the OP is looking at launching? The 5 miles is suitable for small craft, if its a decent size boat id use the Fish and Duck as they have secure parking for your car and trailer too.

Slip at Denver is ok - concrete and a nice gentle slope but your vehicle and trailer wlil be left unattended in the picnic site car park.

here is a another consideration for you:-

Bung it in at Priory Marina at Bedford - you are a stones throw from the head of the navigation, plenty of space to park your vehicle and trailer.

Slow chug down river and then hook it out at Denver when you are ready for home - plenty of marinas to leave her at should you so wish.

here is a another consideration for you:-

Bung it in at Priory Marina at Bedford - you are a stones throw from the head of the navigation, plenty of space to park your vehicle and trailer.

Slow chug down river and then hook it out at Denver when you are ready for home - plenty of marinas to leave her at should you so wish.

And you can even get between them by public transport, albeit it'll take some time; walk to Downham Market from Denver, train to Cambridge, bus into town, X5 coach out towards Bedford. Get off by the large green field and tower block accommodation of Bedford University, then you're a short walk from Priory.

What a wonderful response to my enquiry. Thanks everybody.

I have a feeling I will be using the Fish and Duck facilities as I really need security for my car which is not a cheap old banger. Pub car parks and public car parks are a definite no no, we all know what goes on there and an opalescent paint job costs a fortune, not to mention patching up the dents.

I have contacted the Fish and Duck yard, and got a reply! Their parking is a bit expensive but I think the security wins hands down.

A bit of research has revealed that the keeper at Hermitage lock can supply me with a licence on spec so that problem is solved.

It looks like I am all set up then. clapping.gifcheers.gifcloud9.gif

Once again, thanks everybody.

Shreck.

I have a feeling I will be using the Fish and Duck facilities as I really need security for my car which is not a cheap old banger. Pub car parks and public car parks are a definite no no, we all know what goes on there and an opalescent paint job costs a fortune, not to mention patching up the dents.

I have contacted the Fish and Duck yard, and got a reply! Their parking is a bit expensive but I think the security wins hands down.

A bit of research has revealed that the keeper at Hermitage lock can supply me with a licence on spec so that problem is solved.

Shreck.

We are over there end of June for the summer. its a lovely spot, well run and handy for the cam, the old west and the Ely Ouse.

And you can even get between them by public transport, albeit it'll take some time; walk to Downham Market from Denver, train to Cambridge, bus into town, X5 coach out towards Bedford. Get off by the large green field and tower block accommodation of Bedford University, then you're a short walk from Priory.

That's true :cheers:

We're planning to do the Ouse later in the year. Does anyone know whether the Dunton Double windlass will fit? Also, where's the best place to get the Ouse key from?

bassplayer.

The Dunton Double windlass will fit uncoweled spindles but in my experience from a few years ago it is virtually useless in coweled spindles.

I have googled the Ouse Windlass but to no avail, the search just comes back with the standard handles.

A phone call to the lock keepers at Denver and Hermitage locks will point you in the right direction.

My own handles are home made. You just need a couple of pieces of angle iron, cut the sides down for the correct taper, weld them together to form the box and then weld the handle on. If you do not have a welding set one of those friendly small car service operatives may weld it up for you for a couple of bob.

Regards.

Shreck.

bassplayer.

You will also need the security key to operate the electric guillotines. You can get one from the lock keeper with a twenty odd pounds deposit or buy one on line from Jones' Boatyard, They are around £12 including post and packaging. Jones do not appear to sell the "Ouse Windlass"

Regards.

Shreck.

Shreck.

If you are going the other way first the keeper at Denver sells licences as well.

By the way, the Fish and Duck proprietors have informed me that the old pub on the site will hopefully be reopened sometime next year.

I remember some years ago sitting outside the pub on a sunny day with a beer. What a lovely wild, wide

open spot it is situated in.

Shreck.

By the way, the Fish and Duck proprietors have informed me that the old pub on the site will hopefully be reopened sometime next year.

I remember some years ago sitting outside the pub on a sunny day with a beer. What a lovely wild, wide

open spot it is situated in.

Shreck.

The OLD pub is no longer there but they still sell, or did a couple of years ago from the hut on site.

The OLD pub is no longer there but they still sell, or did a couple of years ago from the hut on site.

Perhaps they are going to build a new one then. Its a long time since I was there and I assumed the old building was still standing. Its a shame really I would have preferred an old pub with a bit of character.

Shreck

Perhaps they are going to build a new one then. Its a long time since I was there and I assumed the old building was still standing. Its a shame really I would have preferred an old pub with a bit of character.

Shreck

You wont recognise the Fish and Duck at all, its had a major revamp.

a minor mishap a few years ago not of their making!

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/SLIDESHOW-Recovery-operation-underway-remove-crane-water-Fish-Duck-Marina/story-22363599-detail/story.html

You wont recognise the Fish and Duck at all, its had a major revamp.

a minor mishap a few years ago not of their making!

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/SLIDESHOW-Recovery-operation-underway-remove-crane-water-Fish-Duck-Marina/story-22363599-detail/story.html

Oops! ohmy.png

Cranes don't float very well do they? blink.png

Shreck.