Travel Power on Beta 43.

Alway Swilby

Featured Posts

in machine mart you can buy replacement alternators for generators some do attach straight to the engine and some are designed with pulleys in mind getting the correct speed wouldnt be hard but given varying loads you would be chasing the rpm all the time.

The sheer amount of mechanical ingenuity is all.

As I said, I've never dismantled a suitcase genny but I'm pretty sure that the alternator isn't a separate item driven by the engine, but rather an integral part of the engine.

Tony

It is of course theoretically possible but I think these suitcase type gennys (if that's what you mean) have the alternator integral with the engine casings. It is not really a seperate thing driven, eg, by a belt or chain. So I'm sure it is possible but as Tony says, with a lack of attachment points and probably a gaping hole at one end where the engine should be, I think it would be very difficult. Whatever bearings it might have (if not reliant on the crankshaft bearings) would be designed only to control the rotation, and not to take the side loads that would occur with belt or chain drive.

The integral engine/alternator would certainly complicate matters. I guess I was thinking along the lines of larger conventional generators where the engine and direct driven alternator are separate.

Still would you grant its a relatively sane suggestion (saving £2000+) compared with some of the more bizarre on this forum? rolleyes.gif

in machine mart you can buy replacement alternators for generators some do attach straight to the engine and some are designed with pulleys in mind getting the correct speed wouldnt be hard but given varying loads you would be chasing the rpm all the time.

Just like a TP then wink.png

The integral engine/alternator would certainly complicate matters. I guess I was thinking along the lines of larger conventional generators where the engine and direct driven alternator are separate.

Still would you grant its a relatively sane suggestion (saving £2000+) compared with some of the more bizarre on this forum? rolleyes.gif

Just like a TP then wink.png

here is the link just shows how much they are rolleyes.gif

Alternators - Machine Mart

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/c/alternators-2/

here is the link just shows how much they are rolleyes.gif

Alternators - Machine Mart

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/c/alternators-2/

Wow, that's a lot of alternator for £300, makes the 175 amp jobby from Beta/Iskra look a bit expensive.

However these will be optimised for 3000rpm and might not be too happy with the big rev range of a boat engine when cruising, and also single phase? so would not make a good basis for a home made TravelPower system.

I do like the idea of taking a modern inverter based generator and turning it into a low cost home made TravelPower though. A machinist could probably do a nice end plate with a good bearing, but again the big rev range might upset things.

Just out of interest, I believe its the rear rather than front bearing that fails on alternators with a big belt side load (but Mr Nibble will know more).

Wow, that's a lot of alternator for £300, makes the 175 amp jobby from Beta/Iskra look a bit expensive.

However these will be optimised for 3000rpm and might not be too happy with the big rev range of a boat engine when cruising, and also single phase? so would not make a good basis for a home made TravelPower system.

I do like the idea of taking a modern inverter based generator and turning it into a low cost home made TravelPower though. A machinist could probably do a nice end plate with a good bearing, but again the big rev range might upset things.

Just out of interest, I believe its the rear rather than front bearing that fails on alternators with a big belt side load (but Mr Nibble will know more).

Which was the point of my OP. The TP is 10 times that amount.

However thanks for all the input. I think I will fork out for the TP on the new boat, I know I'll regret it if I don't.

Which was the point of my OP. The TP is 10 times that amount.

However thanks for all the input. I think I will fork out for the TP on the new boat, I know I'll regret it if I don't.

What are you getting? Will it be yellow?

Anyway, it is expensive but in the context of a new boat, not really. We certainly don't regret coughing up for one.

these generators are made to be side loaded but as i said they would only be any good at a fixed rpm