BD3 Valve clearances - Bill?

Loafer

Featured Posts

Thanks chaps. Actually, the guy I had round to whip out the injectors for servicing, adjusted them at the same time. He didn't know what the 'GO/NO GO' thing was about either, so he set 17 and 20 thou respectively.

I did note that every valve required about 1/4 turn of tightening, a couple of them half a turn, so I'm guessing that we're now better off, but not as good as it could be.

Get a feeler gauge of the "go" size. It should slide in easily

Get a feeler gauge of the "no go" size. You should not be able to slide it in.

If it is as per the above, your valves are set correctly. If not, adjust until the above is satisfied.

That sounds convincing Nick, thank you.

It sound to me like 17 and 20 thou is ok, then!

Further to this, I noted how easy it was to turn the flywheel with the injectors removed. How do people do that when they are in place? Do you just grab the engine pulley and an alternator fan, and pull like a good 'un?

Thanks chaps. Actually, the guy I had round to whip out the injectors for servicing, adjusted them at the same time. He didn't know what the 'GO/NO GO' thing was about either, so he set 17 and 20 thou respectively.

I did note that every valve required about 1/4 turn of tightening, a couple of them half a turn, so I'm guessing that we're now better off, but not as good as it could be.

Further to this, I noted how easy it was to turn the flywheel with the injectors removed. How do people do that when they are in place? Do you just grab the engine pulley and an alternator fan, and pull like a good 'un?

I have to say that I'd be a bit nervous of any mechanic who didn't understand the concept of go/no go! Anyway, to rotate the engine with the injectors in I just put a spanner on the crank (or if I'm naughty, the alternator, but then it is driven by a very large flat belt!) and wind very slowly. This gives a chance for all the compression to leak away.

No you put a spanner or socket on the crank pulley bolt, or crank engine bit by bit with engine stop engaged.

Neil

Goddit. Ta Neil.

I have to say that I'd be a bit nervous of any mechanic who didn't understand the concept of go/no go! Anyway, to rotate the engine with the injectors in I just put a spanner on the crank (or if I'm naughty, the alternator, but then it is driven by a very large flat belt!) and wind very slowly. This gives a chance for all the compression to leak away.

I didn't know that he didn't know! As it happens, he made a good decision with 17/20, I think. The chap is very highly revered for his vintage engineering and is the 'go to' bloke, up hereabouts, for anything engine related.

16 and 19 thou should be fine.

Others may disagree

17/20 doesn't sound too far away then. Ta!

But it should be 14 and 17 thou which is what I set my BD3 at 3 years ago. Mine is easy to turn over as it has the hand start

But it should be 14 and 17 thou which is what I set my BD3 at 3 years ago. Mine is easy to turn over as it has the hand start

Those are the settings I'll use next time. Am I right in thinking that 17/20 is 'ok'? The biggest risk to the engine is 'too small', innit?

Nah... (did you actually mean 'Swimming Paul'? biggrin.png )

One more try then I'll tell you. You'll kick yourself the right answer is rather obvious!!!

No, I did mean 'swimming pool' (there was no man left!)

I give in!

Hey BD3Bill, this one is aimed at you primarily.

Here is a photo of the valve clearance page from my BD3 manual.

attachicon.gifIMG_2742.JPG

Can anyone tell me what the 'GO' and 'NOT GO' columns refer to?

What clearance should I use for a cold engine?

Thanks!

ETA photo!

Sorry was away for the weekend, still it looks like you are sorted now

Cheers