Heating Problem

Bewildered

Featured Posts

The pump is vertical with the inlet and outlet at the bottom (one underneath and one on the side) there is no bleed point on the pump.

My pump is connected with hose to the pipework and I have to squeeze the pipes to work the air out even though the pump is mounted as recommended.

My pump is connected with hose to the pipework and I have to squeeze the pipes to work the air out even though the pump is mounted as recommended.

Perhaps I am just not squeezing hard enough.

I may try to fit longer flexible hoses so that I can give them a good squeeze. Got to be cheaper than fitting another pump.

If the outlet (side connection) bends down to meet the line of the inlet pipework there will almost certainly be an airlock in the pump. In that case I would alter the pipes slightly so before the outlet bends downwards you fit a short pipe with a bleed point in it. Or try loosening the outlet and maipulate the pipe/hose to allow any air in the pump to escale

Just a daft idea....Is the pump fitted in correct flow orientation ? ie have you got it fitted such that the outlet is trying to pump against a non return valve (NRV)

It's a bit of a fiddle but I would -

1) 1/3 fill a bucket with coolant and have the bucket about a foot above the pump

2) Disconnect the inlet to the pump and put the return hose over the bucket - it needs holding/fixing or it will spray everywhere when you test the pump.

3) Put the end below the fluid level in the bucket and syphon some fluid down the pipe so the pipe is full - Best not to suck the pipe as coolant is toxic, slowly coil the pipe in the coolant in the bucket until it is full then finger over the end to seal then quickly put the pipe onto the pump. Do not let the other end come out of the coolant or air will get in.

4) Connect the suction hose to the pump

5) Run the pump for a few seconds. - What happens?

6) If it works, try running the pump for a while as -if you are lucky - any air in the pipe work should end up in the bucket.

Note - If you do not have isolating valves for the pump and the pump is connected to the pipe work using car heater hose in good condition, then you can put a thin bit of wood or better steel plate (like a flat bracket) either side and across the pipe and squash it flat with a mole wrench. This will seal the pipe well enough to avoid draining down. If the pipe is old and cracked it may split, but good car heater hose should be fine.