Generator Draining

system 4-50

Featured Posts

I have given up keeping my Honda EU20i on the boat as it generates unwelcome interest in the unscrupulous fraternity and I now keep it at home and only take it back to do the occasional specific job like drilling big holes in the steelwork.

To store it at home I need to take all the petrol out. because its going in a cellar.

So I bought a little plastic squish pump as you do, and pumped a good quantity out until it refused to do anymore. But looking down the filler tube with the filter out showed a fair amount of petrol swilling about. So I bought another pump in case the first one had gone faulty. A bit more came out and then it too stopped. But there was still some visible in the tank. So (I bought a cheap bagful of so's fromLidl} I tried running the generator to use up the remainder. It ran until it coughed and stopped. But there is still fuel in the tank! I'd guess, because its hard to see, about a quarter of a cupful, enough to be a hazard if vapourised.

What am I doing wrong?

How can I get it definitely empty?

Does it have a "deep corner"?

Is it possible that the hole at the bottom of the fuel tank is actually above the 'bottom' level, so the fuel filter avoids most of the sludge/water that can accumulate?

(Therefore always leaving a non-usable amount in the bottom of the tank?)

I have never has an EU20' but on these sort of things, other honda engines and mowers etc normally the breather vents into the air tract between the carb/throttle and the air filter, and inverting it will soak the air filter, which can effect the air-fuel mixture quite significantly.

I cant say why you are having issues with the pumps, assuming they can self prime and there is enough fuel to cover the whole of the inlet it appears most odd. Not sure what else to add really!

Expect I would just put in the cellar....

Daniel

Appreciate it may be a home insurance breach but surely an empty petrol tank that has recently has fuel in is more dangerous given fumes than one with a full tank. Then what about petrol engined cars or motorbikes in attached garages etc. - where do you draw the line?