Empty Boats Littering The Cut

CDS

Featured Posts

Im sitting here tonight north of Campbell Park in a line of five boats,of those five only one of

us is occupied.I have seen these boats throughout the year being shuttled from place to place,

I don't know any of the occupants and I am wondering why nowadays you seem to see more of

this kind of thing,some of them 35k plus which is a lot of money to just leave unattended.

Do you think its because of the extortionate marina fees that people are upping sticks so to

speak and just parking it on the cut? don't forget money is very tight,in fact I read last week that

the average 35 year old couple has only £300 spare each month.Perhaps a lot of single boaters

have met partners and keep the boat just in case things don't work out,what do you think .Perhaps

I am not very popular and they have all cleared off

Edited by CDS

Im sitting here tonight north of Campbell Park in a line of five boats,of those five only one of

us is occupied.I have seen these boats throughout the year being shuttled from place to place,

I don't know any of the occupants and I am wondering why nowadays you seem to see more of

this kind of thing,some of them 35k plus which is a lot of money to just leave unattended.

Do you think its because of the extortionate marina fees that people are upping sticks so to

speak and just parking it on the cut? don't forget money is very tight,in fact I read last week that

the average 35 year old couple has only £300 spare each month.Perhaps a lot of single boaters

have met partners and keep the boat just in case things don't work out,what do you think .Perhaps

I suspect marina prices may be one possible reason. There are marinas close to where I live with long term vacancies, yet boats are being moved about in the manner you describe.

i know a few people that move their boats at weekends then leave them sunday night to friday night. as long as they arnt breaking cc rules does it matter. if they are on 24, 48 hour moorings they will fall foul of crt soon enough anyway. but as an aside the waterways are for everybody and weekenders can do some miles in a year clapping.gif

I believe a lot of them are known as Dumpers. (Boats that are moved every couple of weeks by people that don't want to pay Marina fees) But the last time I mentioned this on here I had a load of negative comments ..Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with Dumpers as long as they abide by the rules ...

I believe a lot of them are known as Dumpers. (Boats that are moved every couple of weeks by people that don't want to pay Marina fees) But the last time I mentioned this on here I had a load of negative comments ..Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with Dumpers as long as they abide by the rules ...

I think dumpers is a good term, as long as they ain't p**stakers laugh.png

Edited by jenlyn

I spent a year in Braunston marina, I'd say that out of maybe 200 boats, somewhere not far off half of them never had anyone visit them more than once a year, or at all in some cases in my very unscientific observations.

Same when I was at Brinklow. In the year I was there, probably 90%+ of the boats never ventured out of the marina, and well over half never had anybody visit them.

Wow !! £300 spare a month. Just thinking about how many meals we could have In Wetherspoons with all of that money ..

The trouble is you will get a few Pi$$ takers. But I think the majority play by the rules .

Theres an enforcement process there for piss takers,I guess a few of these dumpers

may already be subject to it.Passed one today with a puddle of diesel all around it,a

note in the window read engine trouble Glynn Bumford emailed.Lets hope he checks

them.

Wow !! £300 spare a month. Just thinking about how many meals we could have In Wetherspoons with all of that money ..

When you think thats between a couple with both working,you got to ask where its heading

Well I don't think it's a good idea advertising the where abouts of empty boats on a public forum either.

just pick a good stretch of canal and you find plenty of empty boats

Yes me too and I will still refer to them as dumpers. As long as they abide by the rules thats fine me.

Theres an enforcement process there for piss takers,I guess a few of these dumpers

may already be subject to it.Passed one today with a puddle of diesel all around it,a

note in the window read engine trouble Glynn Bumford emailed.Lets hope he checks

them. May be there are more people taking the U know what than I thought !

When you think thats between a couple with both working,you got to ask where its heading

£300 is a lot of money to some people to have left at he end of the month.
  • Greenie 1

just pick a good stretch of canal and you find plenty of empty boats.

Why do I have to do that? Its none of my business what others do. As long as they are within the legislation, I see no problems, but even so, it's still none of my business.

Why do I have to do that? Its none of my business what others do. As long as they are within the legislation, I see no problems, but even so, it's still none of my business.

I didn't say it was I was merely responding to your comment about not advertising where there are empty boats.

Was there a specific location mentioned?...there are lots of empty boats in Birmingham. Thats a specific place mentioned......Birmingham is a big place......

Yeh. He was very specific. Did you not read his post?

"""Im sitting here tonight north of Campbell Park in a line of five boats,of those five only one of

us is occupied"""

Edited by jenlyn