Hya i hav heard you can get a 60ftn/b in a 57ft wide lock

how is this done

and how easy is it

i am buying a boat and i want 60ft but can go down to 57ft

would you comprimise???

Thanks for the help!!!

Edited by Adam

Adam

I think you are thinking of a 60' in a widebeam 57' lock.

it can allegedly be done if the boat is placed across the lock at a diagonal.

have not done it personally but someone else may be able to give you the 'modus operandi'

I guess (having not tried it myself) that this would only work in a wide lock (ie: 14ft wide) and as the only boat in the lock. The diagonal distance from corner to corner will be 62 feet in theory.

Chris

Edited by chris w

I guess (having not tried it myself) that this would only work in a wide lock (ie: 14ft wide) and as the only boat in the lock. The diagonal distance from corner to corner will be 62 feet in theory.

Chris

As far as I'm aware, all narrow locks are 70+ feet long so the problem only concerns wide locks, some of which in Yorkshire were built shorter than elsewhere in the country.......

As far as I'm aware, all narrow locks are 70+ feet long so the problem only concerns wide locks, some of which in Yorkshire were built shorter than elsewhere in the country.......

Two or three things sprung to mind and they happened whilst watching a 60 footer on the Huddersfield Broad Canal.

1) You use a WHOLE Broad lock to yourself, wasting valuable water. and it is a very slow process see (3)

2) I would hate to be following you as we would have to wait and not share a lock as would normally happen.

3) Most important you would need a minimum crew of THREE as you would have to diligently watch front and back whilst you are diagonal in a lock especially filling because I am sure you could easily straighten without realising and get trapped front or back on the gates whilst you are going up, or on the cill whilst dropping down.

Sorry to be negative but they were purposely built for shorter boats.

I purposly bought a shorter boat to be able to fit all locks throughout the country.

HI re 60 ft in 57 ft lock, go for the 60 ft boat.the main lock in question is on the calder and hebble the centre lock in a flight of 3, yes you have to go diaganol from a corner to centre of gate, corner to corner you will not get the gate open,i have done this in a 60ft 3 inch colecraft, the only problem you could have is if you buy a low slung tug where the bow wont go over the sill when climbing the flight,going down the flight it is possible you may have to go down backwards. but do not despair you will get through,all the best shorty

Two or three things sprung to mind and they happened whilst watching a 60 footer on the Huddersfield Broad Canal.

1) You use a WHOLE Broad lock to yourself, wasting valuable water. and it is a very slow process see (3)

2) I would hate to be following you as we would have to wait and not share a lock as would normally happen.

3) Most important you would need a minimum crew of THREE as you would have to diligently watch front and back whilst you are diagonal in a lock especially filling because I am sure you could easily straighten without realising and get trapped front or back on the gates whilst you are going up, or on the cill whilst dropping down.

Sorry to be negative but they were purposely built for shorter boats.

I purposly bought a shorter boat to be able to fit all locks throughout the country.

how long is your boat? shorty

HI re 60 ft in 57 ft lock, go for the 60 ft boat.the main lock in question is on the calder and hebble the centre lock in a flight of 3, yes you have to go diaganol from a corner to centre of gate, corner to corner you will not get the gate open,i have done this in a 60ft 3 inch colecraft, the only problem you could have is if you buy a low slung tug where the bow wont go over the sill when climbing the flight,going down the flight it is possible you may have to go down backwards. but do not despair you will get through,all the best shorty

how long is your boat? shorty

Shorty, my boat is 54 plus fenders

Graham

dear graham to do the whole system a 40ft boat is about the max, shorty

Edited to add 'dear shorty'

It's my understanding that the shortest lock (on the navigable system) is teddington skiff lock which is 49' long. It's also sat next to a lock 600' long so it shouldn't be a barrier.

So which bits of the (navigable) system restrict the length of your boat to 40'? As opposed to draught.

Edited by carlt

Ha Ha !! :cheers:

Teddington Skiff Lock is indeed 49 feet long ...... but its only 5 foot 8 wide !! So you wouldn't fit a narrowboat in it regardless of length!

The Barge Lock is 650 feet long and you can see it full of narrowboats here :- http://www.teddington-lock.co.uk/custom/28...%20lock%20A.jpg

And full of amphibious vehicles here :- http://www.teddington-lock.co.uk/custom/Dukw_Visit_1a.JPG

See you soon ....

Edited by Howard

It's my understanding that the shortest lock (on the navigable system) is teddington skiff lock which is 49' long..

Grand Sluice Lock at Boston on the Witham is only 45 feet in length..........however, it can be passed by longer boats by opening the gates at both ends when the river makes a level on the aproach to high tide and again on the ebb......

Edited by Hairy-Neil

Grand Sluice Lock at Boston on the Witham is only 45 feet in length..........however, it can be passed by longer boats by opening the gates at both ends when the river makes a level on the aproach to high tide and again on the ebb......

Which of course is the answer to any longer boat in a shorter lock. Wait for a flood until the water is level and all the gates can be opened :cheers:

Missed my chance at Bardney the other year didn't I. Could have opened all the gates and gone straight through to claim the 'world record' for the quickest time :D:cheers::unsure:

I am amazed the topic keeps coming up and equally why the current fashion, or near obsession for 57ft boats. I would be fascinated to know just how many of these boats, most of which are live-aboards anyway, actually ever cruise the part of the country which would be closed to them with a longer boat.

I have an idea that it is the boat-builders themselves that discourage the purchase of full length boats.

Sorry, I know you must have gone over this a thosand time before, but if I was say, moored in Manchester, on a 60-70 ft boat, just how much of the system would I not be able to access??? Just out of curiousity???

Thanks

60ft can go anywareif u put it at a angle dunno about owt bigger look on penninewaterway or sumthing tells u the dimensions

Sorry, I know you must have gone over this a thosand time before, but if I was say, moored in Manchester, on a 60-70 ft boat, just how much of the system would I not be able to access??? Just out of curiousity???

Thanks

Hi Nursey.

As has been said with a 60ft boat (but preferably 58) you can go anywhere.

With a 70ft boat you could head South by either of two routes, basically Trent & Mersey or the Shropshire Union, all the network to the South is available for you.

You can head Northish up the Rochdale but you would have to turn around at Sowerby Bridge and head back.

You could go north on the Aston Canal onto the Huddersfield Narrow and up to Huddersfield but no further, turn and come back.

Ashton canal again, turn right in Ashton-u-lyne onto the Lower Peak Forest, then the upper Peak at Marple, or turn right in Marple and onto the Macclesfield, at Kidsgrove you have many options including the Llangollen, Trent & Mersey, Shropshire Union or double back and join with the Bridgewater.

Bridgewater from Manchester, head west towards the Cheshire canals and the Ship Canal, East towards the Leeds Liverpool (which is closed to you) or towards the Wigan & Leigh Branch, Rufford Branch and the Ribble Link.

Sounds a bit complicated but much simpler if have a small collection of maps and guides. I can help you there, or at least the Rochdale Canal Society can (registered charity) let me know if you want a list.

There will be lot's of error's in the above, haven't bothered checking it.

Head south then east on the Trent and Mersey, then River Trent Navigation, then Tidal trent to Keadby. You can get up the Stainforth & Keadby as far as Thorne Lock. Return to Keadby then, if you dare, down to Trent Falls, lay on a mud bank and await the flood tide which carries you up the Ouze to Goole Docks from where you can access the Aire & Calder Navigation. Five miles or so takes you to the New Junction Canal, which will take you through to Stainforth and the other end of the S&K Canal which you can navigate as far as Thorne lock..... :D

Returning again to the junction, a left takes you up the River Don Navigation through Doncaster and on to Rotherham through some of the most recent built locks in the country. At Rotherham you can continue up through four more traditional canal locks to the bottom of Tinsley Flight of the Sheffield & Tinsley Canal where its no go again as the locks are all 60ft from here on..... :cheers: