Boat collection and delivery

Tammy and mo

Featured Posts

Your feeling is not universally shared.

Thank you Athy. so it seems, but i wonder if you were the one who's business lost out to someone who didn't charge, what would you be saying as the bailiffs were approaching your boat?

...and I wonder what you would be saying if you did an activity which you enjoyed as a hobby (perhaps in retirement - not sure if T and M are) and someone came stamping up laying the law down and telling you that you weren't allowed to enjoy yourself. I don't think that I am especially quick to take offence, and I rarely enjoy doing so, but I must admit that I found your post curmudgeonly.

Have you an axe to grind? Are you a professional boat mover?

Perhaps those that try to make a living delivering boats, and there are some on this forum, would club together and send you some Sunday lunch tomorrow, oh! and what about your dog, would you like them to feed that too!

Your taking away the bread and butter of those that have far more experience than you. They also pay national insurance, work insurances and taxes where appropriate too.

And what if you break down, or have another problem, are you gonna sort that out like the professional will, using a well tried network of fellow professional boaters or are you going to call out CRR?

By all means do it, but don't advertise it in front of there faces on here!

It's not like me to have a rant on here but I felt it was needed!

Nipper

Bit OTT i think . It is like saying nobody can do a cheaper job and offer cheaper service than a commercial company. I have done cash in hand jobs many a time over the years on cars, loads of welding as garages charge so much i will do it cheaper and a good job to go with it.

It happens all over the place, some folk cant afford to pay full wack prices and some dont want to so look elsewhere.

Just think a rant over it was not needed, unless you are taking it personally, then understandable but still ....

Oh! I see, so the none advertising rule sentence that i said now becomes my wish word does it?

And that comes from a moderator!

Ee! Gods!

You made a valid point, albeit in passing, regarding site advertising. I assumed you'd like to discuss it - bear in mind that others' views may differ from yours.

You made a valid point, albeit in passing, regarding site advertising. I assumed you'd like to discuss it - bear in mind that others' views may differ from yours.

Maybe there should be a section where people can advertise their services just the the "For Sale " section.

Thank you Athy. so it seems, but i wonder if you were the one who's business lost out to someone who didn't charge, what would you be saying as the bailiffs were approaching your boat?

Many small businesses start up and close down all the time. If the business model was flawed, then it may well suffer. If the business model recognised that competitors may undercut you, even to the point of offering the same for free, and took it into account (perhaps by adding value, or doing other types of work too) then it would have a stronger basis for success.

...and I wonder what you would be saying if you did an activity which you enjoyed as a hobby (perhaps in retirement - not sure if T and M are) and someone came stamping up laying the law down and telling you that you weren't allowed to enjoy yourself. I don't think that I am especially quick to take offence, and I rarely enjoy doing so, but I must admit that I found your post curmudgeonly.

Have you an axe to grind? Are you a professional boat mover?

No, i am not, but to come on here and advertise the fact that they can do it for nothing, where we have people on this forum who are not allowed to advertise the fact that they are boat movers, making a living! or trying too, who cannot advertise!

As has been said, a contract makes a stab at binding the mover to the owner, but that involves far more than chucking a set of keys to a stranger!

Also, what sort of person would give there pride and joy to an amateur not knowing them from adam. Perhaps they are the ones that would try and get someting out of the people that are moving that boat. The movers are open to all sorts of accusations especially without a contract!

As well as the boat movers, what about the hire companies? Suppose everyone that fancied a cheap holiday on the canals thought "I know, I'll offer my services as a boat mover"?

I know people who move boats "professionally" and I know some of the problems that have arisen - Boat is damaged, who pays? Boat breaks down, who deals with it? Are you prepared to take the risk?

Many small businesses start up and close down all the time. If the business model was flawed, then it may well suffer. If the business model recognised that competitors may undercut you, even to the point of offering the same for free, and took it into account (perhaps by adding value, or doing other types of work too) then it would have a stronger basis for success.

" If the business model was flawed"

What? how dare someone want paying for doing something!

I'll avertise that i will do it everything for nohing and all will be right with the world!

As well as the boat movers, what about the hire companies? Suppose everyone that fancied a cheap holiday on the canals thought "I know, I'll offer my services as a boat mover"?

I know people who move boats "professionally" and I know some of the problems that have arisen - Boat is damaged, who pays? Boat breaks down, who deals with it? Are you prepared to take the risk?

Ah! A voice of reason! Thank you dor! And Texas

Edited by nipper

No, i am not, but to come on here and advertise the fact that they can do it for nothing, where we have people on this forum who are not allowed to advertise the fact that they are boat movers, making a living! or trying too, who cannot advertise!

As has been said, a contract makes a stab at binding the mover to the owner, but that involves far more than chucking a set of keys to a stranger!

Also, what sort of person would give there pride and joy to an amateur not knowing them from adam. Perhaps they are the ones that would try and get someting out of the people that are moving that boat. The movers are open to all sorts of accusations especially without a contract!

Do you have any names?

Do you have any names?

I have names and they are probably the names that you have. But naming them, of coarse, would surely break the forum rules, as you very well know!

I'm currently busy refitting our bathroom because I can, hands-on work is a pleasant contrast to spreadsheets and documents, relaxes me and I'm buggered if I'm paying anyone to do stuff I can do myself. Next week I'll be helping my daughter with some fettling at her new house. I've just been to B&Q where I bumped into a number of folk who clearly feel the same but I don't see it being picketed by builders and plumbers. Your response was unwarranted, Nipper.

Edited by twbm
  • Greenie 2

I'm currently busy refitting our bathroom because I can, hands-on work is a pleasant contrast to spreadsheets and documents, relaxes me and I'm buggered if I'm paying anyone to do stuff I can do myself. Next week I'll be helping my daughter with some fettling at her new house. I've just been to B&Q where I bumped into a number of folk who clearly feel the same but I don't see it being picketed by builders and plumbers. Your response was unwarranted.

Yes thats fine, most people would do that, but you are not advertising the fact, nor probably want to do somebody else's, let alone for free!

to come on here and advertise the fact that they can do it for nothing, where we have people on this forum who are not allowed to advertise the fact that they are boat movers, making a living! or trying too, who cannot advertise!

You do not appear to have finished your sentence, Let me suggest an ending:

...is perfectly acceptable because they are not doing it for commercial gain and thereby do not fall under this forum rule.

Send me a PM then, I'll ask Dan to look into it - without the details I can't help you though.

I really don't know what your on about now!

Dan to look into what?

i know no boat mover who has advertised on here accept the OP

.And saying i do is surely a bit of a slur!

As you very well know, word gets around by "word of mouth", or in simple terms, somebody recommends!

Is that understandable to you?.

You do not appear to have finished your sentence, Let me suggest an ending:

...is perfectly acceptable because they are not doing it for commercial gain and thereby do not fall under this forum rule.

Then maybe you have missed the diction, the same as you seem to have missed the point as well!

I really don't know what your on about now!

Dan to look into what?

i know no boat mover who has advertised on here accept the OP

.And saying i do is surely a bit of a slur!

As you very well know, word gets around by "word of mouth", or in simple terms, somebody recommends!

Is that understandable to you?.

You're making quite a strong accusation (highlighted in red in post #37) regarding others who are unable to advertise on the forum. I'm offering to help. The offer stands; if you're uncomfortable naming the people publically then I am suggesting you PM me some details.

Added Value.

If I wanted my boat moved and it was a choice of a freebee from someone I didnt know and didnt know anything about and a paid boat mover who I also didn't know, but had references, a reputation, insurance came recommended as trustworthy and could take care of minor problems then I think I would go the paid route as what he offered would be the added value.

I have moved boats for friends because they were friends and they trusted me to do it.

I also know people who move boats for hire companies for free who are not professional boat movers.

• Greenie 1

Added Value.

If I wanted my boat moved and it was a choice of a freebee from someone I didnt know and didnt know anything about and a paid boat mover who I also didn't know, but had references, a reputation, insurance came recommended as trustworthy and could take care of minor problems then I think I would go the paid route as what he offered would be the added value.

I have moved boats for friends because they were friends and they trusted me to do it.

I also know people who move boats for hire companies for free who are not professional boat movers.

Yes, but you didn't advertise did you! Thats all i am trying to say.

No, you had not finished your sentence.

No, I have not missed the point.

Diction??

Then i bow to you superior knowledge and bit you farewell!

You're making quite a strong accusation (highlighted in red in post #37) regarding others who are unable to advertise on the forum. I'm offering to help. The offer stands; if you're uncomfortable naming the people publically then I am suggesting you PM me some details.

people on this forum who are not allowed to advertise the fact that they are boat movers, making a living! or trying too, who cannot advertise!

what accusation did i make in that statement? they are not allowed to advertise they're business on the forum!

people on this forum who are not allowed to advertise the fact that they are boat movers, making a living! or trying too, who cannot advertise!

what accusation did i make in that statement? they are not allowed to advertise they're business on the forum!

Yes they are, subject to approval by the site owner, Dan.

OUCH!

You bit me.

oh! sorry about that, have a D instead of the T!hug.gif

Yes they are, subject to approval by the site owner, Dan.

Oh! sorry if you think that was an accusation cus that don't look like that to me!!

Still, different strokes for different folks!