Missing boat - Holly - NOW FOUND!

Pie Eater

Featured Posts

It was the whole idea of a speeding 7mph canal boat with go faster stripes and 90 foot long having been sawn up after been nicked from club 18/30 cruisers who then went back to the pub hahahaha/ seriously hysterical post
Oh right - that was someone else who posted that...

yes that is holly by the looks of it, he did a good job of painting it , in all honestly i would have said it is dark blue, anyway glad it is found

I thought that was a photo of "a boat" that was used to illustrate the description of what a Gunnel was.

Rich fairhurst,

Just back tracking a little but if you cycled down to enslow and id cycled out of oxford to the edge of kidlington he must have been inbetween.Somewhere by the cement works maybe? I did see plenty of boats about yesterday but im sure i didnt pass holly unless she had come down to oxford and gone and hidden up the bit which goes to Eynsham? What do you think?

It certainly looks like Holly (trad stern, square windows), and is certainly half finshed. Richard, can you clarify?

Re gunnells, I happily stand to be corrected...

Jon

What is the red stuff on her deck? it looks like blood to me

The deck looks like it was originally painted red and has worn back to primer over time....

Jon

When we hired Holly on the w/e of the 9th Feb her deck was green I think.....Although it may have been red or black lol eeeks canals and wine don't mix when trying to remember deck colours

Gunnell - Where the boat meets the water line normally.

Here we go again with the origins of Boating terminology. Gunnel (or Gunwale) is a Nautical term referring to the top of a fighting ship's side where the guns are rested. Derived from Gun meaning gun, and Wale meaning a ridge of planking along the rail of a ship.

Edited by David Schweizer

When we hired Holly on the w/e of the 9th Feb her deck was green I think.....Although it may have been red or black lol eeeks canals and wine don't mix when trying to remember deck colours

I stand corrected...on recent pictures of Holly her deck is all grey...maybe he was painting it red

Ok, sorry for the lack of information - when I posted the pic I was late for choir practice (I'm the organist) and was very rushed, but wanted to get it up here before I left. Yes, it's Holly.

A bit more:

Smelly Welder, you may be right, but then the boat was pointing downstream (i.e. to Oxford). I'm thinking I simply missed her on the way out because I was looking for a bright blue boat without a cratch.

On the way back I was walking (because of my puncture!) from Tackley to the Rock of Gibraltar and got a good look. I noted the uplift of the bows, which looked distinctive; the painted-over front windows, which were very unusual; and the name on the licence disc. I didn't look too closely because there was clearly someone in the boat; the engine was running and the front doors open.

When I got back home to Charlbury - a slightly protracted process because I had to go and collect my bike from Tackley station, where I'd left it - I was planning to look up the boat name against Jim Shead's register, and my memories against the two pics of Holly. But I logged on here, and saw the boat had been found, so didn't bother.

Then there was the posting saying that it was below Pigeon Lock. "Bu--er!", I thought, "it must be the one I saw." I checked against the original green pic (with cratch), and sure enough it was. I also looked the name on the disc up on Jim Shead's register, and to me it looks like the hirer "borrowed" the licence disc from another boat, because neither of the boats with that name matched the description.

So I drove back to Pigeon Lock at breakneck speed - er, not breaking the speed limit at any point of course, Jon :lol: - and took the pic. The boat was firmly padlocked by the time I got there. Plenty of painting equipment in the well deck, freshly bought from Wickes (reduced and all!); and with a new packet of wood on the roof, so clearly some cosmetic alterations were made.

Trish, I'd be interested to know (within the confines of what you can say, of course) who the boaters were who reported it. I suspect it may have been one of the ones I alerted while cycling up the towpath. (I strongly suspect it might be the working boater who I'd spent 15 minutes talking to just above Pigeon Lock!)

Edited by Richard Fairhurst

What a releif!

He did an excellent paint job no doubt! I wonder how many people walked past holly (whilst looking for her!), thinking; nah, that can't be the same boat!....

Imagine what must have gone through his mind when the police walked up to him.

Well done for finding her finally.

Have a good weekend everybody

In the above picture of Holly that was taken today,

that seems to be a middlewich narrowboat moored alongside her? is it, or am i just imagining it?

Vividly !

No boat alongside that I can see.

Pete

www.thecanalshop.com

Oh yeh , forgot to add that i had seen an advertisement somewhere [ cant remember where exactly] saying blah blah boat coming to oxford for sale soon. People are always posting adverts wanted for boats on oxford websites, and you could make a tidy sum selling a boat at a inflated price in oxford. Maybe that was the plan seen as he had financial difficulties?

Vividly !

No boat alongside that I can see.

Pete

www.thecanalshop.com

It is pictured behind Holly on the photograph Richard posted earlier this evening, looking at it from this angle, i am almost sure it is a Middlewich Narrowboat...

Maybe somebody from MWNB travelled up on the boat to try and help track her down...

just a thought

Oh yeh , forgot to add that i had seen an advertisement somewhere [ cant remember where exactly] saying blah blah boat coming to oxford for sale soon. People are always posting adverts wanted for boats on oxford websites, and you could make a tidy sum selling a boat at a inflated price in oxford. Maybe that was the plan seen as he had financial difficulties?

Perhaps Inspector Morse should have dealt with this then!