Oil faults part2

Oxford Landing

Featured Posts

Well the JP3 apart,post-20076-0-44963800-1446398854_thumb.jpgpost-20076-0-64927900-1446398902_thumb.jpgpost-20076-0-64652700-1446398917_thumb.jpg glazed bores, so need to order some rings and gaskets etc and de-glaze the bores, just looking for information on torque setting but can't find any? Big end and heads torques required for when we put it back together, anyone have them? Can't find them in the manuals.

I'd also recommend coating both sides of the new head gaskets with some Wellseal....put a thin coat on both the block and the head as well as both sides of the gaskets....try to get some old stock British made copper asbestos gaskets...the modern ones from India and Thailand are Rubbish.

If you have time it's worth leaving the heads for a week or so once you have refitted them and torqued them down then recheck the torque again before building the rest of the heads up.

Also check the state of the head studs....and the tubes.....they do have a habit of snapping around the shoulder where the thread ends which is more than annoying.....won't be cheap getting some new ones made but lots less hassle than having to drill one out!

Cheers

Gareth

Well the JP3 apart,attachicon.gifIMG_20151030_161129.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20151030_161233.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20151031_143045.jpg glazed bores, so need to order some rings and gaskets etc and de-glaze the bores, just looking for information on torque setting but can't find any? Big end and heads torques required for when we put it back together, anyone have them? Can't find them in the manuals.

Does your engine have chrome liners? If it does, I'm not sure that "deglazing" is a good thing, You may damage the chrome and then have to fork out for new liners. Best check with someone who is knowledgable about these things.

Edited by monkeyhanger

Well the JP3 apart,attachicon.gifIMG_20151030_161129.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20151030_161233.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20151031_143045.jpg glazed bores, so need to order some rings and gaskets etc and de-glaze the bores, just looking for information on torque setting but can't find any? Big end and heads torques required for when we put it back together, anyone have them? Can't find them in the manuals.

As mentioned by monkey hanger be very careful to check if your JP has original chrome bored liners. If it does then you cant hone/deglaze them. It would need new liners.

As mentioned by monkey hanger be very careful to check if your JP has original chrome bored liners. If it does then you cant hone/deglaze them. It would need new liners.

Out of interest and for the benefit of the OP what is your opinion/recommendation on head nut work for the tubular studs - 180 ft-lbs does seem high.

Out of interest and for the benefit of the OP what is your opinion/recommendation on head nut work for the tubular studs - 180 ft-lbs does seem high.

Hi Richard

The torque for the head fasteners as recommended by Lister, if you have one of the very late copies of the manual which actually states torques is 150 ft-lbs for the tubes and 100 ft-lbs for the normal studs.

The manual that states these is in our information area on our site as a free flipbook. Lister JP, JS & JK 3&4 Cylinder Marine Auxiliary Manual

Martyn

Edited to get the torques around the right way. (I shouldn't type messages before finishing my morning coffee...........)

Edited by martyn 1

Hi Richard

The torque for the head fasteners as recommended by Lister, if you have one of the very late copies of the manual which actually states torques is 100 ft-lbs for the tubes and 150 ft-lbs for the normal studs.

Martyn

Do you have a publication number or date for that copy of the manual, Martyn?

Richard

Hi Richard

246/767

Thank you - I'll see if we have a copy of that version

That's the good thing about Lister manual numbering standards - If you don't like one, there are several others to choose from...

The manual I have in front of me has Hawker Siddeley marine covers, no date or number, and covers the JP2M and JP3M including the piston type water pump which isn't in some of the other manuals. No torque settings though. Lister manuals are a whole field of study in their own right

Richard

Thank you - I'll see if we have a copy of that version

That's the good thing about Lister manual numbering standards - If you don't like one, there are several others to choose from...

The manual I have in front of me has Hawker Siddeley marine covers, no date or number, and covers the JP2M and JP3M including the piston type water pump which isn't in some of the other manuals. No torque settings though. Lister manuals are a whole field of study in their own right

Richard

They are rather fun as they were done for individual builds, for example we have a pile that are for JP's and lists just the piston pump but then we also have them that cover the JS and JK as well and they dont show this pump but do show the later gear pump. and then we also have some that show the JK type centrifugal pump. and then to add to this ones specific for industrial or marine propulsion or marine auxiliary.

Lots of fun.

Hi all

Many many thanks for your info, the liners are not chrome, invited a local diesel engineer who is familiar with lister engines over to have a look and he comfimed faults including diesal wash out that Martyn had pointed out some time ago, but I've not been able to carry out the work until now, I must admit I did expect chrome liners, so the last rebuild they may have been changed then,

Kevin