Why I go boating

Guest User

Featured Posts

Having a lie-in on an early morning start because we've moored at the start of a long pound. It's never really happened, as the one time that the first lock was that far along, I was up and making some tea by the time he cast off.

On the contrary, I sometimes like to be first up, with a mug of tea and my head out of a side hatch watching the ducks go by on a summer morning in the peace before the engine starts.

I have been boating since the 1970s in one form or another so it has become part of my life over the years although a much more recent boat owner in relative terms. I am not sure I can list all that I like about it.

Sometimes I just like relaxing on the boat moored in a nice spot and while away the day or enjoy the challenge of being on the go and up a long lock flight. The variation and the possibilities are great. I always get a particular thrill when arriving at junctions there is a bit of magic about them.

Canals or rivers all have their own charms and as a lover of nature seeing all the various flora and fauna on the way is always interesting. I also like going through towns and cities and seeing the industrial heritage too.

Boating under the motorway, thinking how lucky you are to be going 4 mph...

Where the traffic above is crawling along at 2!

biggrin.png

But perfect 10 boaty points only scored when boat glides gently over Tame Valley Aquaduct and traffic on motorway below is stood, preferably in both directions.

(I have yet to achieve this boating ambition)

Just some random moments in boating that I love (in no particular order or priority) ….....

LCx

I'm in the process of deciding whether to go ahead and purchase a share in a NB. To be honest, having lurked on here for a couple of months and read some of the very heated threads which seem to dispel all illusion of the canals being the a relaxing place with a shared camaraderie, I'd nearly decided not to. However, your post has re-affirmed that it is not an illusion, but that perhaps I should be a bit more selective about reading the forum. smile.png

Thanks Lady Cassandra

P.S. You moved me to make my first post smile.png

Edited by z4driver
  • Greenie 1

I'm in the process of deciding whether to go ahead and purchase a share in a NB. To be honest, having lurked on here for a couple of months and read some of the very heated threads which seem to dispel all illusion of the canals being the a relaxing place with a shared camaraderie, I'd nearly decided not to. However, your post has re-affirmed that it is not an illusion, but that perhaps I should be a bit more selective about reading the forum. smile.png

Thanks Lady Cassandra

P.S. You moved me to make my first post smile.png

A share is a great way to get into boat ownership. We did that for some years. Do not think this forum represents the reality of holidaying or even living on the cut.

We go boating regularly and meet nothing but nice people have great fun 99.99% if the time.

And when you do come across an onanist you can have fun telling everyone here on the forum about it.

smile.png

True laugh.png but after my last two very enjoyable trips this autumn I made a point of starting topics saying so. Just for a change from the other topics on here.

Edited by churchward