Newark stoppages

Featured Posts

Hi All

So i am just going through the buying process of my first narrowboat and all going well except .......................................

Its on the Chesterfield Canal and i need to take it down to Foxton locks . So while planning my route i have realised that i will get stuck in Newark until Dec .So my questions are..

Do i use a haulage firm and does anybody know of costs etc I have cranes sorted both ends

Or what is the mooring situation in Newark ie can i moor up until the works are complete?

Many thanks in advance

Even when Newark re-opens you will struggle to get to Foxton as both Loughborough and Mountsorrel locks close on 4th January. There will also be the issue of the Trent and Soar at that time of year floods are not un common.Might be bset left on the Chesterfield until April. You will also have a chance to find out the foibles of the boat and deal with them before going on the tidal Trent.

Thanks that seems to be the school of thought and thats enough to keep me away from the trent for a while

There's still time to get it topside of Town Lock before the stoppage starts, 3 full days and nights to be exact.

How far up the canal from the Trent is the boat, and how much time can you spend aboard and underway between now and 0800 on the 19th ?

Edited by Tony Dunkley

There's still time to get it topside of Town Lock before the stoppage starts, 3 full days and nights to be exact.

How far up the canal from the Trent is the boat, and how much time can you spend aboard and underway between now and 0800 on the 19th ?

No i dont take ownership until after the 20th , i guess i can explore the chesterfield for a little while and see if i can find a winter mooring

No i dont take ownership until after the 20th , i guess i can explore the chesterfield for a little while and see if i can find a winter mooring

There's a C&RT owned Marina below Town Lock.

You could bring the boat up to Newark at any time that suited you between now and early December, leave it there until the stoppage comes off on 14 Dec, and then you've got nearly 3 weeks, until 4 Jan to clear the two stoppages on the Soar, which are a maximum of 2 days run from Newark.

Edited by Tony Dunkley
  • Greenie 1

There's a C&RT owned Marina below Town Lock.

You could bring the boat up to Newark at any time that suited you between now and early December, leave it there until the stoppage comes off on 14 Dec, and then you've got nearly 3 weeks, until 4 Jan to clear the two stoppages on the Soar, which are a maximum of 2 days run from Newark.

Yes - but, at this time of year it is easy to get held up by floods - I was 'locked' in at Cranfleet for 14 days in October / November 2013, and the Soar rises even more quickly.