Narrowboat Furniture

RufusR

Featured Posts

Hi All

first post -- After holidaying on the Canals for 35 years and last owning a boat for that purpose 10 years ago( had to sell to start business ) earlier this year we took the huge decision to sell up and move afloat full time for the first time . House is sold and boat and mooring secured . Bit surreal cant believe it is finally happening , truly excited and nervous in equal amounts .

We move aboard in about 4 weeks and need to order 2 new narrowboat sized Saloon chairs and a footstool ( as there are non presently aboard )

as such off to see these guys tomorrow

http://elitefurnishings.co.uk/contact.html

But wondered if anyone knew of any others within striking distance of Aylesbury that we should be looking at and anyone any experience of Elite ( website looks good and professional but dont know anyone who has used them )

Sorry if first post is a bit boring but I am sure many more to come

many thanks

Simon

We have an elite sofa on our boat (came with it when we bought it) It's very comfy and good for storage.

ETA - as lovely as our sofa is, looking at how much it much have cost new, I'm not sure I'd be convinced to part with that amount of cash in a hurry.

Edited by Lmcgrath87

If it is of any use - Aldi have Leather swiveling recliners complete with footstool at £69.99.

Was a bit sceptical but bought one, it fits, it is comfortable and now there is a fight for it - maybe another one is on the cards.

NB - noticed yesterday that B&M have 'leather' (it did not feel like leather) 'proper' armchair recliners with foot stool that would fit in a NB - price £99.99

We have an elite sofa on our boat (came with it when we bought it) It's very comfy and good for storage.

Great thats good to hear , Storage is what we are after as well as comfort . We have of course brutally downsized( cannot believe how much guff we have accumulated in the house ) but every nook and cranny is useful and Mrs is a bit ocd regards storage ( soo many boats rejected due to lack of it )

thanks for the quick reply

If it is of any use - Aldi have Leather swiveling recliners complete with footstool at £69.99.

Was a bit sceptical but bought one, it fits, it is comfortable and now there is a fight for it - maybe another one is on the cards.

NB - noticed yesterday that B&M have 'leather' (it did not feel like leather) 'proper' armchair recliners with foot stool that would fit in a NB - price £99.99

thanks Alan will take a look

You try these people, we bought a sofabed from them years ago, used a lot very comfortable both as a sofa and as a bed. They were based in Kinver just on the canal.

http://www.wilsonsupholstery.co.uk/

Ken

thanks Ken , they were on my list but too far for this Sat but maybe can make it up next Sat if they are open . looking for a new cratch cover in the new year as well so maybe two birds one stone

You try these people, we bought a sofabed from them years ago, used a lot very comfortable both as a sofa and as a bed. They were based in Kinver just on the canal.

http://www.wilsonsupholstery.co.uk/

Ken

They still are, but I'd phone before you travel as they do work on cratch covers, etc, there, but don't seem to have a showroom as such. They do have furniture items on display in a big trailer which goes to shows, etc, so if that's there I'm sure you will be able to see their offerings. We have two Avon upholstrerd chairs which fit nicely into a narrowboat, but are not hugely comfortable imho. I'm thinking of buying a pair of their swivel chairs to replace them, not least because they fixed a rip in my (Wilson's) cratch cover the very next day after I phoned them since I was passing. Good customer service - I'm sure you'll find them a helpful outfit.

thanks Phil , sounds like they will be what we go for if we like the designs etc

They still are, but I'd phone before you travel as they do work on cratch covers, etc, there, but don't seem to have a showroom as such. They do have furniture items on display in a big trailer which goes to shows, etc, so if that's there I'm sure you will be able to see their offerings. We have two Avon upholstrerd chairs which fit nicely into a narrowboat, but are not hugely comfortable imho. I'm thinking of buying a pair of their swivel chairs to replace them, not least because they fixed a rip in my (Wilson's) cratch cover the very next day after I phoned them since I was passing. Good customer service - I'm sure you'll find them a helpful outfit.

yes they are a bit far to go on the off chance so will see how we get on With Elite first

Another vote for Elite -- they did all out soft furnishings and porthole bungs. Not cheap, but extremely good quality, long-lasting and they come to fit it all in the price and we would certainly use them again.

well we went to Elites workshop on Sat ( he does make his own ) and we were very impressed and ended up ordering . Quality and design ( lots of storage as well as comfort and bespoke features made to your specification ) Yes more expensive than off the shelf but worth it I think to get exactly what you want and loads of choice of material and colour combinations ( Mrs Rufus had a field day ) add this to the fact the guy was very very helpful and friendly and will even drive down and fit the furniture in situ on the boat made for an excellent and recommendable experience .

thanks everyone for the help

We had an Elite chair/bed on our last boat and a foot box, which was good, we also had a bed/settee which was not so comfortable, but that was a long time ago.

yeah we have ordered 2 of the arm chairs , a foot box and the tray box ( ideal for putting my beer on while watching telly cheers.gif