CRT need funds look at supermarkets

b0atman

Featured Posts

October the 5th I believe is the date that large ? shops will have to charge for plastic carrier bags which upto now have been totally free except M&S.

The charge of 5p reduced by VAT reduction to 4p then probably by the supermarket for costs leaving ?p to be donated to charity .

Being as we boaters seem to have been the biggest collectors of these bags recycling as rubbish bins and using as prop protectors, then surely the relevant Manager should have already approached all supermarkets cap in hand ?

I am aware of the impending law, but unsure as to which shops will have to charge for these bags. Does anyone know if it applies only to supermarkets, or to shops over a certain size?

I also wonder about the supermarket "bags for life", which can be exchanged free of charge when they wear out or become damaged. Will this practice become illegal?

right the supermarkets are going to have shedloads of money to give to charity CRT needs to be channelling some of this money their way .

The statement Large shops instead of all shops was on a notice in ASDA Marple where they gave me free of charge 3 bags for life as they had run out of cheapos.

I am aware of the impending law, but unsure as to which shops will have to charge for these bags. Does anyone know if it applies only to supermarkets, or to shops over a certain size?

I also wonder about the supermarket "bags for life", which can be exchanged free of charge when they wear out or become damaged. Will this practice become illegal?

Unlike the Welsh system where it applies to all shops, in England it appears to be only shops over a certain physical size. The "bags for life" do not seem to be included as they have to be bought in the first place.

The system has worked very well in Wales.

Has been in in Scotland for a while now. I think it does help to change behaviours, certainly mine anyway. I do slightly resent having to pay 5p for a paper bag at McDonalds though! (we tend to stop there on the way back from airport to house on a Sunday night - 8pm arrival.)

Certainly, there is a superabundance of plakky bags in the Englandshire canals and anything that might reduce that is welcome!

The system in place in Scotland is that all bags paper or plastic have to be paid for (5p), this includes the paper bags at Mcdonalds, Chippie etc

Too slow posting this!!!! was beaton to it.

So it you don't want to pay how is the food provided?

Has been in in Scotland for a while now. I think it does help to change behaviours, certainly mine anyway. I do slightly resent having to pay 5p for a paper bag at McDonalds though! (we tend to stop there on the way back from airport to house on a Sunday night - 8pm arrival.)

Certainly, there is a superabundance of plakky bags in the Englandshire canals and anything that might reduce that is welcome!

McDonald's??!!!

I had you down as a much more discerning gentleman than that :)

just the paper the`re wrapped in !!!

Really, sounds poor to me. What about chips from a chinese, at least round here, the chips are just in a paper bag.

Is this really saying that they can not provide free of charge secondary packaging, ie an outside bag for the individual already packed products to go in? I guess none of this will apply to England anyway if it based on size of shop.

Edited to add, it this is the correct legislation if seems to be specific to plastic bags, so no doubt they will just switch to paper.

Edited by john6767

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-3226140/Carrier-bags-big-retailers-cost-5p-month.html

Note the bit that says....

Retailers that employ more than 250 staff nationwide will have to charge for each carrier bag from October 5, but staff and customers may face confusion, as many items are exempt.

Good job we have a huge hoard in a utility room cupboard :)

Surely paper bags are biodegradable and thus exempt from legislation.

Beat me to it. Our local chippy uses rather handsome paper carrier bags. Those and the greasy chip wrappers are really good for getting the fire started.

In Scotland does the Vatman rob the charities by taking 1p from every bag sold ?

Without any knowledge of the suppliers' and the various charities' VAT arrangements, we cannot tell. It ain't robbery, though, because the tax take is used to keep society running, even if we cannot agree how it should be done.

So it you don't want to pay how is the food provided?

Take your own container - I remember as a boy in Sheffield that some chip shop customers would take a bowl with them (such as a large pudding basin) and their fish & chips would be packed into it for them to take home. If we wanted what were later called mushy peas, my Mum would tell me to take a bowl for them, as expanded polywhatsit containers were not yet commonplace.

Take your own container - I remember as a boy in Sheffield that some chip shop customers would take a bowl with them (such as a large pudding basin) and their fish & chips would be packed into it for them to take home. If we wanted what were later called mushy peas, my Mum would tell me to take a bowl for them, as expanded polywhatsit containers were not yet commonplace.

Is that how it actually works today in Scotland?

When I were a lad we always took a shopping bag with us to the shops in general. At the greengrocer's, the spuds, onions and carrots went in first, loose, and more delicate foodstuffs were placed on top in brown paper bags.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be...

In Scotland does the Vatman rob the charities by taking 1p from every bag sold ?

Certainly doesn't in Wales.

Local chippy:

Chips on their own are just wrapped in paper.

Fish and chips comes in a cardboard box.

Pies and pasties in polystyrene containers.

Sausage and chips in paper.

Pizzas in cardboard box.

If you want a bag to carry any of it home you get charged 5p for a plastic bag.

Edited by Graham Davis

When I were a lad we always took a shopping bag with us to the shops in general. At the greengrocer's, the spuds, onions and carrots went in first, loose, and more delicate foodstuffs were placed on top in brown paper bags.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be...

And exactly what still happens here in Llani.

Certainly doesn't in Wales.

Local chippy:

Chips on their own are just wrapped in paper.

Fish and chips comes in a cardboard box.

Pies and pasties in polystyrene containers.

Sausage and chips in paper.

Pizzas in cardboard box.

If you want a bag to carry any of it home you get charged 5p for a plastic bag.

Exactly the same in Scotland..... well in Glasgow at least.

McDonald's??!!!

I had you down as a much more discerning gentleman than that smile.png

I know, but as I said, 18:30 flight back home Sunday night after a hard weekend's boating, gets in say 20:30 (it always seems to be late) and then a 15 min drive home, Mcdonalds is on the way home, hard to resist vs cooking something when we get back to the house.