Boat Valuations

Bantam_dave21

Featured Posts

Nothing official, the nearest you can get to a proper valuation if you have a boat, is to take it to a couple of brokers and let them value it for you. If you don't have a boat and are looking at buying one, you could post the link and ask for opinions but of course, these would vary. Another way is to keep an eye on a number of brokers websites over time and you'll get an idea of the boats which sell, and which don't, but of course you could only know the list price not the actual sale price (which is probably lower).

Hi,

Thats what I've been trying to do but not come across many of the same boat that we're looking at particularly, the listings we've seen are a year or two old but seem to indicate we're in the right sort of area - if not a little under the average. It was worth an ask tho.

Cheers,

You cannot be specific. It is not quite like buying a Ford Focus, although you can probably group by builder. Just look out for boats of similar size and layout to your requirement and at the same time take a note of the builder and the age of the boat. You will soon start to see a thread. It is also reasonably safe to assume that whatever the asking price the boat will "probably" sell for less; so be prepared to make an offer.

You are you looking for what exactly(ish)?

Edited by Traveller

Not particularly relevant to the thrust of the thread, but the Zoopla algorithm for calculating the "value" of a house is less than useless - they even admit it behind their closed doors but, as it was the USP that got them started, and it still features in peoples minds, they are not prepared to let it go.

Of course, occasionally, it is correct, but so is a broken watch twice a day.

When we bought our boat in 2011, I got a good idea of the value of boats over about 3 months of watching Apolloduck, various broker sites, ebay, and viewing about 10 or 15 boats.

If you don't have a boat and are looking at buying one, you could post the link and ask for opinions but of course, these would vary.

Like the newbie who posted such a link here a week or two back, having fallen in love with a 'recently refitted' Springer in London and wanted confirmation it was a good buy, only to get a fairly unanimous response that the asking price was about twice the boat's real value.

When we bought our boat in 2011, I got a good idea of the value of boats over about 3 months of watching Apolloduck, various broker sites, ebay, and viewing about 10 or 15 boats.

Same, except I had been viewing boats on the internet for over a year. Every single day, every single new one on the market, and I watched which ones sold quickly and which ones hung around for months.

An hour before we physically viewed the boat I own now I said to my girlfriend "this one has been seriously undervalued" and when the survey was done the surveyor valued it at £4,000-£5,000 more than I had paid for it. The more you look at boats, the better an idea you get of whether they are over or under priced.

I'm in the process off looking for a boat. Think I've looked solid for the last week on the Internet at various different sizes and layouts and now have a good idea off size and layout I want.

Value wise after looking at so many boats you get a rough idea how much they are worth.

It would be hard to value them like cars you get so many different options and fit outs.

As long as I'm within my budget and I'm happy with the boat and with its spec, the price is right for me.

A boat (like anything else) is worth only what the highest bidder will pay for it, so if you want it be prepared to seriously haggle and be prepared to lose it if necessary.

And keep a clear head. It is amazing how many punters will pay hundreds more for a car that is buffed and valeted, and reject out of hand a better example which is grubby. Polish and sweat are cheap.

Peter.

A boat (like anything else) is worth only what the highest bidder will pay for it, so if you want it be prepared to seriously haggle and be prepared to lose it if necessary.

And keep a clear head. It is amazing how many punters will pay hundreds more for a car that is buffed and valeted, and reject out of hand a better example which is grubby. Polish and sweat are cheap.

Peter.

Yes they are but not everyone wants to put in that effort.

Some will simply want to buy the boat/car, turn the key and go play. Not spend weeks or months cleaning, polishing and fixing it before heading out.