Winter moorings update

TheBiscuits

Featured Posts

I would have nothing to gain by taking up a winter mooring. I don't need to stay in one place for work which is why I CC. Most of the sites offered that would potentially be of interest to me would involve a weekly 3 to 4 hour round trip to facilities. Given that, I might as well move on to the next location, passing facilities as I go and not have to pay to moor. Surely lots of CCers will be in a similar position. I'm afraid I don't really understand the point of the winter moorings as offered in areas I am familiar with. I can't speak about areas I don't know. You've still got to cruise in grotty weather to use facilities so what have you gained by paying CRT other than permission to return to the same place. Surely if you CC that's of little interest or benefit to you unless you are in an area where facilities are few and far between, which I'm not. Am I missing something?

And there you have it. No real thought has gone into the location of these sights with regard to facilities, some are even cut off from facilities due to winter closures and require more than a 2 - 3 hour cruise

Not been thought through? I think it has. The previous system was getting quite well used and they wanted it thinned down. This is one way of doing that and next year they'll say winter moorings are hardly used so we are ending the idea.

I'm not sure why C&RT exist but it is certainly not for the benefit of winter boaters. Maybe not even for the benefit of any boaters.

They do seem to come up with some silly ideas.

Not been thought through? I think it has. The previous system was getting quite well used and they wanted it thinned down. This is one way of doing that and next year they'll say winter moorings are hardly used so we are ending the idea.

I'm not sure why C&RT exist but it is certainly not for the benefit of winter boaters. Maybe not even for the benefit of any boaters.

They do seem to come up with some silly ideas.

CRT exists for the benefit of the canals, not for the boaters who happen to use them. The boaters, especially those who live aboard, are a thorn in the side of CRT who would prefer to be managing a linear duck pond.

I would have nothing to gain by taking up a winter mooring. I don't need to stay in one place for work which is why I CC. Most of the sites offered that would potentially be of interest to me would involve a weekly 3 to 4 hour round trip to facilities. Given that, I might as well move on to the next location, passing facilities as I go and not have to pay to moor. Surely lots of CCers will be in a similar position. I'm afraid I don't really understand the point of the winter moorings as offered in areas I am familiar with. I can't speak about areas I don't know. You've still got to cruise in grotty weather to use facilities so what have you gained by paying CRT other than permission to return to the same place. Surely if you CC that's of little interest or benefit to you unless you are in an area where facilities are few and far between, which I'm not. Am I missing something?

Yes. Looby, you are right. We are in the same boat! we don't need to be anywhere for any length of time. We may need to leave the boat for a week or so,but that's rare. We choose a 14 day mooring which seems to be reasonably safe and off we go. If needs be, we could take temp mooring in a marina, but only at a push.

Why would I want to additional charges to CRT to moor my boat where I can already?

It would seem that some of us purchased a product that was not legal. Where do I apply for my rebate? Well Banks did rebate loads of money for selling PPI.

It only becomes "not legal" if planning enforcement action was taken

www.iwantmywintermooringfeeback.con ?

And anyway a lot of people took up winter moorings on boats which were not used as a primary residence - does this also require pp?

Edited by magnetman

Well this is complete bobbins of course. PP is only required for a precise location of a boat. Grant a winter mooring for a random place which cannot be guaranteed on a stretch of towpath and the PP regs are neatly sidestepped AIUI.

Not quite. A liveaboard boat moored up in one spot for more than a month could be liable for L.A. enforcement. In practice this enforcement would take the form of asking the landowner to submit a planning application. In this case that would be CRT. In practice, the chances of that happening is vanishingly small since planning authorities have a list as long as your arm of priorities, and this one would be right on your fingertip.

Technically, yes, winter moorings require planning permission. However, the legislation simply wasn't written with such things in mind so it's in everyone's interest to turn a blind eye. The problem would only come if a particularly noisy/smelly boat took a winter mooring directly outside the home of a determined busybody. What would ultimately happen then is anyone's guess. My guess is that CRT would flap around a lot and try and revoke the winter mooring, the local authority would look at enforcing with statutory nuisance legislation before burying their heads in the sand, and before you know it, spring would come!

Edited by Dave_P

The problem would only come if a particularly noisy/smelly boat took a winter mooring directly outside the home of a determined busybody.

I think the last word in that sentence could definitely do with changing ;)

We all know that smoke is allowed from boats because (so far) we don't come under smokeless fuel regs and even smokeless fuel makes smoke but noise nuisance is a serious subject and someone complaining about excessive noise outside their home (be it a house a boat a caravan or whatever) is certainly not a 'busybody'.

Its the use of this kind of word which causes problems in the first place :huh:

I suspect that CRT probably did get a number of complaints about noise and probably smoke as well specially in built up areas of London and if it is always the same boat its easier to do a proper complaint.

Probably partly why they withdrew winter moorings in central london - and there have been suggestions that boats may come under clean air legislation which could prove interesting..

So legal last year but not this year well there is a group of us taking legal advise based on that and also that it was a product not available to all boaters. I think I will go with the legal advice, though at the moment the fact that it was a product not available to all boaters seems the easier one based on the reason CART gave for stopping the Roving Mooring Permit

This ^^ is pretty much us as well. We were thinking of taking a winter mooring this year for Dec - Feb, but since they (CRT) have changed it to dedicated locations we will be keeping that money for ourselves and doing as we did last year and just do a long slow winter cruise.

Placing ourselves between two winter stoppages, that's big enough to actually cruise and has all the services we will need.