Boating in Anglesey

peterboat

Featured Posts

This weekend we went out in our friends Yacht. We sailed out from Holy head harbour to the opposite side of the bay we moored up in a sheltered cove had a picnic nice cup of tea and generally basked in the sun icecream.gif The weather was sunny with light winds, we decided to sail back which would involve tacking across the bay the tide was running at about 5 knots out of the bay and would turn at about 5.30 pm and we started making our back at about 1.30 pm. It soon became clear that the wind had picked up and the tide was running far stronger than forecast ,so we sailed out to the scaries and then headed back towards the harbour due to the conditions we also started the engine. It became clear that we were making no headway so the owner of the boat suggested putting out the anchor and waiting for the tide, he consulted with the coastguard and they concurred. I however wanted to flee around the corner with wind and tide to another harbour and get as taxi back home detective.gif . We waited until 5.30 pm and to Warrens horror the tide didnt slow and the wind increased even more! the waves by now were very large and come what may the anchor had to come up, as it happened it wouldnt! so it was buoyed and left behind for later recovery. With just the engine we made slow progress back to the harbour taking over 2 hours to cover a couple of miles, about a mile out the new engine started to overheat badly so power had to be cut back and the cover removed, at low revs it started to cool down but steerage was lost! so Warren called in to the coastguard who sent out the RNLI, a bloody big boat eventually found us (the waves were that big by that time they could not see us) they took us under tow because as they said the propellor was more out of water than in, so half an hour later we were moored up in Holy head harbour grateful for the RNLI.

The moral of this story is its the sea it can go wrong! weather forecasts are just that they arnt fact, and always go with your first instinct run for your life when in danger clapping.gif

I have sailed half way around the world so I well versed in sailing yachts and bad weather and the lifeboat crew agreed that we were well prepared and kitted out but as the saying goes

SHIT HAPPENS

Peter

edited to read better

Edited by peterboat

Glad to hear all OK. A lot of people don't seem to be aware of the danger that can be involved around the sea and how things can change very quickly!

Am an Off-shore Member of the RNLI (was in Storm Force when much younger!!)

During my offshore days when in Yarmouth, IOW, I often looked at this boat and thought "I hope I never need you!"

Thankfully I never have but have witnessed a fair few boats who did.

Took part in the Menai Straights Regatta many years ago - yes the sea needs respect.

Brave man and women who man these boats.

Edited by Ray T

Something like that pulled us back to harbour. and yes they are brave lads and lasses that do this work

Peter

Volunteers to a man (women!) usually only one paid Engineer on each station as well.

The tide was running far stronger than forecast?

weather conditions and air pressure are just two variables which affect tidal heights and therefore the tidal stream in different locations. Its not an exact science you know ;)

I do know yes, but far stronger is a little unbelievable

The wind was blowing in the same direction as the tide it made life very uncomfortable and made pushing the tide and wind dificult

Peter

edited because I hadnt finished sick.gif

Edited by peterboat

Have been a member for many years .Hope I never need to call on them. Very well run organisation,which believes in top quality equipment and well trained crews .Has an army of dedicated fundraisers who raise millions each year,both through fund raising and legacies.

Far more uncomfortable with wind against tide.I think your request to run to a safe port was a sensible one. Sad that whoever was in charge of the boat didn't think so

That we know as we didnt get back into harbour until 8.15 pm and the tide was with us but the wind against very poor conditions with waves so big the lifeboat could not see us. Warren to give him his due has been sailing there for years and the conditions have never changed that fast before whilst he had been out. He has learnt a lesson about the weather so next time he will run for his life

Peter

Must have been a unique set of circumstances. Had our boat based in Holyhead for over 10 years and the only place we ever found 5 knts of tide was in the narrows between Carmel Head and the Skerries.

Glad it all ended with everyone safe and sound.

Within view of the power station we were anchored there by the big warning buoy waiting for the tide to change I dont know the area at all it looked a perfik place to sail but when the wind came in hard it wasnt so pleasant and Warrens boat doesnt sail well close to the wind it goes sideways. His next boat will be bigger he is looking at a moody which he assures me is a much better sailer judge.gif

Peter

Within view of the power station we were anchored there by the big warning buoy waiting for the tide to change I dont know the area at all it looked a perfik place to sail but when the wind came in hard it wasnt so pleasant and Warrens boat doesnt sail well close to the wind it goes sideways. His next boat will be bigger he is looking at a moody which he assures me is a much better sailer judge.gif

Peter

Moodys are lovely boats to sail. Current one isn't a Westerly Centar per chance? They are well know for lack of ability to go to windward ......

Moodys are lovely boats to sail. Current one isn't a Westerly Centar per chance? They are well know for lack of ability to go to windward ......

I didnt look to closely what it was its in good condition still in its gelcoat pale blue over white which is why the RNLI couldnt see us amongst the waves. It only draws a meter so not deep keeled its not put us off but Warren I think wont be doing as much single handed sailing unless he is sure of the weather which is not a bad thing

Peter

Did she look like this:

1.jpg

Good little boats for coastal pottering in calmish waters.

But not so good in higher winds and lumpy seas. Because of the twin bilge keels Centaur's do not beat well at all in the aforementioned conditions.

Similar but single keel 21 foot I will ask Warren and post it

Peter