Advice to boil water on the lower half of the Lancaster & Leeds & Liverpool

frangar

Featured Posts

I rather suspect there is because they have to have to keep hospitals safe for people but I bet it is more expensive than a bottle of bleach and UU will be trying to avoid claims or being required to supply it.

Indeed, but I have not relied on UU missives on the issue. An old people's home was on TV the other evening showing they were using bottled water as they couldn't keep up with all the boiling required.

Even USA sites don't mention any simple chemical hit.

George ex nb Alton retired

The only way to kill it is UV light or heat ....otherwise it's a filter....and not a brita jug one!....this is one of the troubles UU is having.

Once it's in a tank it's going to be fun to shift....especially in a tank that you can't get access to to steam clean.

Cheers

Gareth

Just boil the water and it WILL be safe to drink. Having watched people drag water hoses through dog muck on the towpath, I always have hot drinks or boil water and let it cool before drinking it.

Cryptospiridium is a problem that occurs infrequently in water supplies and in the unlikely event of infection, no action will be needed to treat the diarrhoea, except perhaps to drink plenty of water. unsure.png

Edited by mango

The only way to kill it is UV light or heat ....otherwise it's a filter....and not a brita jug one!....this is one of the troubles UU is having.

Once it's in a tank it's going to be fun to shift....especially in a tank that you can't get access to to steam clean.

Cheers

Gareth

Kind of makes the old "in hull" tanks with a large trap in the top seem a good idea now

May be worth checking some USA sites.

There was a massive outbreak of cryptosporidium in Milwaukee in 1993 where approx 420,000 people were affected & about 70 died.

I believe it took a long time & a lot of effort to clear it but there may be some local reports with info.

Those with a compromised immune system are at a far greater risk of complications, but that's not just with cryptosporidium.

Well, it's clear that we do have it in our water tank and my wife is just starting get to better after 2 and a bit weeks. We can't return to the boat until the water is safe, especially as we have a 2 year old and I don't want her to get it. It's all very well being told to boil our water, but it's not just drinking water, it's for washing up, cleaning and everything else. And trying to prevent a toddler putting their hands in the washing or bath water and then transferring it to her mouth is near impossible, and not a chance I want to take.

So I need to get our water system cleaned out, and can flush it and change filters and so-on, but am looking to add either a suitable filter or a UV lamp.

UV seems to have advantages but would need a particle pre-filter and sounds more complicated and would rely on a power supply, so I'm more in favour of a filter.

But where should it go in the system? Can a pump suck through the filter and it still work OK if I fit it at the supply from the tank, or will a filter still be effective with a supply that pulses (i.e. is a non-constant flow) pushed from the water pump? can it go after the pressure accumulator?

Any advice or knowledge will be welcome!

Thanks

Well, it's clear that we do have it in our water tank and my wife is just starting get to better after 2 and a bit weeks. We can't return to the boat until the water is safe, especially as we have a 2 year old and I don't want her to get it. It's all very well being told to boil our water, but it's not just drinking water, it's for washing up, cleaning and everything else. And trying to prevent a toddler putting their hands in the washing or bath water and then transferring it to her mouth is near impossible, and not a chance I want to take.

So I need to get our water system cleaned out, and can flush it and change filters and so-on, but am looking to add either a suitable filter or a UV lamp.

UV seems to have advantages but would need a particle pre-filter and sounds more complicated and would rely on a power supply, so I'm more in favour of a filter.

But where should it go in the system? Can a pump suck through the filter and it still work OK if I fit it at the supply from the tank, or will a filter still be effective with a supply that pulses (i.e. is a non-constant flow) pushed from the water pump? can it go after the pressure accumulator?

Any advice or knowledge will be welcome!

Thanks

The problem with filtration is that you will need a fairly large filter setup to provide an adequate flow rate, even after some use. Installing a filter after the accumulator makes sense, though space may be a consideration. Filters do need to be serviced regularly otherwise they can actually contaminate water supplies with bacteria.

Was it confirmed that your wife was infected with cryptosporidium and not another bug? It's not a common problem in the UK and tap water is not the only source of infection. Ponds and canals are other sources.

There are sources in the northwest claiming that a criminal investigation is under way therefore not UU's fault

I think the proceedings might be against UU! To say they aren't being well thought of up here is an understatement!

Cheers

Gareth.

Thanks for you comments, the doc says it's 99% likely that she does have the bug and she has all the symptoms. If was just us we could take a chance, and even though it'll prob. be OK, its not work the risk with a toddler. Water flow rate is the problem with filters, so I think I'll flush through, put one in line for drinking, and maybe then use an inline filter to fill the tank, at least for a while - it won't hurt if it takes a few hours to fill. Cheers.