Folding table needed

NB Alnwick

Featured Posts

When we bought 'Alnwick' we always had in mind the idea of acquiring or making a foldaway table.

The previous owners were perfectly happy to dine with a tray on their laps and we have followed suite but it is neither comfortable or civilised and we really want a folding table approximately 60cm wide and 100cm long that can be stored out of the way when not in use.

Any good ideas out there?

When we bought 'Alnwick' we always had in mind the idea of acquiring or making a foldaway table.

The previous owners were perfectly happy to dine with a tray on their laps and we have followed suite but it is neither comfortable or civilised and we really want a folding table approximately 60cm wide and 100cm long that can be stored out of the way when not in use.

try ikea

I used to have a pair of nice rubber wood jobbies that were very good for eating on the sofa. I've seen them about since, I think Wilkinsons had them in, last time I saw them. They were about a tenner if I recall correctly.

I've just remembered; I bought them from Lakeland Plastics years ago (do they still exist?) but, as I said, they turn up in the discount shops still.

Ebay table

It was very similar to this only rectangular.

Edited by carlt

Hi G & J.

I had exactly the same situation, I built a sort of boatman's table along with the boat intending it to be largely decorative but it turned out to be very functional but not really big enough. I sketched out an ideal size of double drop leaf table which would fit neatly below the gunwale, I intended to make it one day but never got around to it, I carried that sketch around for six or seven years.

Having been dragged into an antique shop I was mooching around, and there it was accurate to the inch, a nice solid oak double drop leaf, gate leg table mine for £50. I couldn't have made one for that price.

Try this at John Lewis.

http://www.johnlewis.com/default.aspx?source=16438

We found it cheaper than making it ourselves.

We did try for the John Lewis table - saw one when we were on the Thames at Kingston last year but I think they have sold out and it is no longer listed . . .

We bought one from Homebase last year. Rectangular in shape, with rounded corners, castors at one end so it is easy to move. The four chairs stack inside the table and there is a small drawer. Light Ash Maple in colour.Think it was around £60.00

Ken

using 38mm oak worktop material from IKEA, I have a fixed strip 6" x 39", to which is hinged another piece 24"x39" using a 36" piano hinge. In the raised position the hinged piece rests on a 30" adjustable table leg from B&Q that simply slots into place in a retaining clip.

so solid you could dance on it.

using 38mm oak worktop material from IKEA, I have a fixed strip 6" x 39", to which is hinged another piece 24"x39" using a 36" piano hinge. In the raised position the hinged piece rests on a 30" adjustable table leg from B&Q that simply slots into place in a retaining clip.

so solid you could dance on it.

that sounds great. Have you got any pictures of it?! I get the principle, but the photos would give me a clearer image.

Or on a slightly larger scale, we have a drop leaf table which can be seen here: http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php...ost&p=54865

Ours was actually purchased from an add that my grandad receaved with a bank statment about 15 years ago while in the middle of designing the fittout.

- However, i have seen them, and simuar (with rounded leaves) sold in quite a number of places if you have a look around.

Daniel

that sounds great. Have you got any pictures of it?! I get the principle, but the photos would give me a clearer image.

sorry, I forgot to take a pic of it last time I was home. you'll have to wait for 5 weeks or use your imagination.

I want to see pictures of you dancing on it.

I never said I could dance on it. I was referring to someone like bones :rolleyes:

Has it got a pole in the middle? :rolleyes::blush:

We are, of course, talking 'rigadoons' . . .

PS: We have ordered the John Lewis table - all wood and I couldn't buy the materials for that price not lone make one.

I am a bit too tall to dance a rigadoon on a table in a boat, but I may be able to manage a russian gigla. I shall try on my own table this evening, and see whether such an activity is viable.

I am a bit too tall to dance a rigadoon on a table in a boat, but I may be able to manage a russian gigla. I shall try on my own table this evening, and see whether such an activity is viable.

If you post it on youtube I'll go and buy a new laptop that's fast enough to view it.

If you post it on youtube I'll go and buy a new laptop that's fast enough to view it.

Sounds promising.... I had no idea such an activity would induce such a lifechanging action! I think my camera can film things...!

Edited by Bones

Sounds promising.... I had no idea such an activity would induce such a lifechanging action! I think my camera can film things...!

Isn't it amazing how much fun we can have with tables now we are grown up! :rolleyes: