Buying a boat from a surveyor

Tam & Di

Featured Posts

Was doing some boring work and a totally hypothetical question came into my mind. What would be the form if you were looking to buy a surveyor's own private boat? Would you/he expect it to be surveyed by an independent surveyor, or would you take his own report as satisfactory?

I think that I would be happy to take his own report. He would (I hope) have a lot to loose by providing a clean bill of health to a boat that does not warrant it.

In addition, I wouldn't pay a premium to buy a boat from a surveyer as the boat would/should be only as it's supposed to be.

Edited by Burgiesburnin

This assumes every surveyor is honest and not out to rip you off. Like every doctor and nurse has only your best interests at heart.

And their are no bent coppers.

Sometimes I'm too cynical - sometimes I'm realistic.

I think one would hope that surveyor/seller would understand the reputation as risks vs the one off sale. It would be fairly easy to get some feed back from satisfied customers and I think there is a deal in this somewhere, something like offering the amount minus the cost of say three surveys, you promise to recommend him/her exclusively dependant on quality of the work.

When he complained the reply was "Caveat emptor"

sad.png

That was the sort of thing that I had in mind. Also you don't have any leverage to get a price reduction on account of works that must be done to bring it up to scratch. I suppose ideally you want a surveyor who is not aware of whose boat it is that is being sold. I can see that in some ways it could be worse than buying a boat from a private individual, as you would probably assume the surveyor to have looked after his own boat better. Anyway, it's just a theoretical mind exercise for me, so I hope I don't upset any of the surveyors on here smile.png