Featured Posts

Ok everyone we have a problem and I need to harvest the power of the hive mind...

Problem:
Instant and continuous Hot water

Notes:
1) Preferably without having to use LPG (can of worms, as we had an instantaneous water heater from China but it was cooking the bathroom ceiling, and we would rather avoid having mess around with the gas or pay too much)
2) Preferably without having to use the electrickery (obviously we all have a limited battery)
3) I have thought about a long black coiled tube on the roof (solar hot water) but I am worried that the heat will run out quite quickly
4) I have thought of a kettle element in a watering can

Anyone got any other more unusual ideas/ experience we would be very grateful?

All the best

Fergus

I think you are looking for the holy grail, instant and continuous hot water at little expense.

A properly installed gas water heater will give you instant hot water all year round. You could combine this with some kind of solar water heating during summer months.You could also heat water in a calorifier using the cooling circuit from your engine. Just a few thoughts

There is only one answer, a properly fitted instantaneous gas water heater.

That is the only way to get that which you require.

Oh. Of course a qualified 'man' to fit it and one of a decent make, the boiler not the man.

If youve already got the pipework & gas supply then as suggested its going to be best to fit a reliable instant water heater .

" Made in China " are not words id be looking to find on the back though !

( im really hoping that Morco s aren t made in China now ive said this ...... )

cheers

Thank you everyone for your comments thus far.

The holy grail sounds good, sounds a bit small to bathe in, but perhaps the burning bush could work as the heater? Although it probably wouldnt work for an Atheist like me

The previous on was imported via Germany if that helps... It was a very good shower but would have to be used outside.

In all seriousness though I agree that since we have the system in place a reliable gas one is probably the best option.

So is Morco considered the best then? Do they have internal battery iginition? or do they have to be wired in? And what are we looking at price wise?

Thanks again

Simple answer a waste of space, unless you want to wash your hands in tepid water.

Apart from that any long term use (shower/washing up) would require a shoreline , batteries will not cope.

In fact heating water with electricity for any considerable time is a no, no unless shoreline/generator is available.

There are just a few ways to get hot water on a boat, most require a calorifier (hot water tank) that is heated by waste heat from the engine or a diesel or gas boiler or solid fuel stove with back boiler

An immersion heater usually 1Kw supplied from a generator or shoreline can also be used.

For instantaneous (not stored) there is only one way and as that is what you wish to do, gas.

Edited by bottle

A diesel fired water heater (such as an Eberspacher) will give continuous hot water, will fill your tank (calorifier) and maintain the temperature by switching on and off as needed. Unlimited hot water - and - it will heat your radiators as well giving you central heating.

In fact it is the nearest thing to having an oil-fired heating / hot water system as per a house.

Uses a little electrikery and maybe 1/2 litre of diesel per hour (depending on how much hot water you use).

If you have not got a solid fuel stove with a 'back-boiler' ( and keep the fire in 24/7) the Eberspacher (or equivalent) is the only way to go to get 'on-tap' unlimited hot water.

Instantaneous hot water heaters (like the Morco) are OK for filling the sink and having a wash, but they are 'thirsty' on gas.

We have no radiators, but we have a Chappee 5kw solid fuel stove at the front and an Isuzu 3 Cyl engine at the rear with a bathroom in the middle.

Hot water use wise, I have it on good authority (a friend who got a biology degree) that you don't need to use hot water to kill germs just fairy liquid to break the surface of their cells.

So its mostly just a nice shower... for two... in the morning and maybe the evening or afternoon... of a weekend

We have no radiators, but we have a Chappee 5kw solid fuel stove at the front and an Isuzu 3 Cyl engine at the rear with a bathroom in the middle.

Hot water use wise, I have it on good authority (a friend who got a biology degree) that you don't need to use hot water to kill germs just fairy liquid to break the surface of their cells.

So its mostly just a nice shower... for two... in the morning and maybe the evening or afternoon... of a weekend

If you do store hot water, it should be over a certain temperature to kill Legionella, 60 degrees c I think.

we don't plan to store hot water, just cold water in the tank at the front (we havent launched her yet and I assume we get access to cold drinking water as part of the license) that we make hot when we need it.

If you don't plan to store hot water, then its either instantaneous gas water heater or no hot water, or a kettle.

Edited by rusty69

Yes I had found that one. It looks quite good. But I wonder if I put it on the roof with enough black tubing and a quilt I could keep some water hot enough for a morning shower.

Even of you could, it only holds less than a pint, so I'm not sure what kind of shower you'd expect from that.

Have you left skool yet?

(snigger) Aw come on chaps the OP has obviously had no experience of how boat systems work and is

Looking at it through newbie layman's eyes.

Suggest the OP reads and digests all the above suggestions because with some things the tried and tested way is often the best.

Phil