ITV4 CRT Advert

Canalwatcher

Featured Posts

I think it's actually more subtle than a purely financial thing. If the public is well disposed to the canals, they're less likely to object to taxpayers money being used to subsidise them, and if people appreciate them more, maybe they'll stop chucking their old sofas and matresses in.

Exactly my point, the councils should be opting to subsidise maintanance of the canals for social gains leading to improved health and less health care costs.

Maybe the Councils should be buying plots of land ajacent to the canals in their borough's and placing Picnic Benche's, surely adults might think twice about bunging a 3 seater in the canal if they take their kids their for a lovely day at weekend,

The old saying spending saves money, how much would the crt save each year from a lower fly tipping score.

Exactly my point, the councils should be opting to subsidise maintanance of the canals for social gains leading to improved health and less health care costs.

Maybe the Councils should be buying plots of land ajacent to the canals in their borough's and placing Picnic Benche's, surely adults might think twice about bunging a 3 seater in the canal if they take their kids their for a lovely day at weekend,

The old saying spending saves money, how much would the crt save each year from a lower fly tipping score.

Nice idea - if only the councils had any money to spend on that sort of thing....

In an ideal world and all that....

The council's have enough on their plates, I think the last thing they want to think about is having the local canal dumped on their budgets.

Who will ever know whether this advert is good value for money or not? It will be very difficult to measure the effect, and much as any organisation tries to evaluate the response from any form of advertising, it's bound to be an inexact science. If the advert is run quite often for just a few days, and the next weekend you can't move on a towpath for families with children, that might be an indicator, but realistically any benefit will be much less obvious than that, indirect and long term.

I note that the girl in the script was covering the bases nicely; she started out by a river then moved on to a canal.

The advert was only a good spend, if it returns more in donations than has been spent on getting those donations. Personally I feel the general public are getting a bit cynical about phoning for there "free" booklet ( which has a cost to produce) to be given a whole sales pitch(scripted) before being able to receive said booklet.

Regards kris

I see the alternative ideas for raising Income are still very thin on the ground.

So far we have.

A ) A flawed scheme involving re-instating LTM's.

B ) CRT being a successful navigation/transport authority.

Have I missed any? Or is that it so far?

Edited by MJG

I see the alternative ideas for raising Income are still very thin on the ground.

So far we have.

A ) A flawed scheme involving re-instating LTM's.

B ) CRT being a successful navigation/transport authority.

Have I missed any? Or is that it so far?

Fish lanes.

Maybe they could open caravan sites?

Regards kris

Well they could but don't you think they have enough on their plate maintaining what they already have?

Fish lanes.

Would need turnstiles and the fish would have to pay and I'm not sure they would be willing.

Well they could but don't you think they have enough on their plate maintaining what they already have?

I think they could do with getting rid of a couple of layers of middle managment personally. Then they would have more to spend on maintenance.

Regards kris

In an ideal world and all that....

The council's have enough on their plates, I think the last thing they want to think about is having the local canal dumped on their budgets.

Think about it this way @ Eye Opener Time @

The Canals become infilled no more narrow boats, in the mean time who Police's all these gaps in living society, Drug Users/ Crime / Squaters Public Health Hazards ect.... the lists goes on.

If the Canals were not used then like it or lump it the Council will end up dealing with the Armageddon of the Canal System.

See it is in the Councils own intererest to keep the Canals open and running, it would become their problem if CRT hung their coats up.sleep.png and at the moment they pay nothing, surely a bit of support donation would help it not become their full responsibilty.

night all sorry for piping on, no more serious posts my heads done,wacko.png

Edited by brassedoff

I think they could do with getting rid of a couple of layers of middle managment personally. Then they would have more to spend on maintenance.

Regards kris

I can see how that could free up some revenue yes, and that could be diverted to maintenance yes, I am not sure if on its own it will be sufficient.

Think about it this way @ Eye Opener Time @

The Canals become infilled no more narrow boats, in the mean time who Police's all these gaps in living society, Drug Users/ Crime / Squaters Public Health Hazards ect.... the lists goes on.

If the Canals were not used then like it or lump it the Council will end up dealing with the Armageddon of the Canal System.

See it is in the Councils own intererest to keep the Canals open and running, it would become their problem if CRT hung their coats up.-_- and at the moment they pay nothing, surely a bit of support donation would help it not become their full responsibilty.

night all sorry for piping on, no more serious posts my heads done,:wacko:

I think you are barking up the wrong tree. If any publicly funded service should contribute it should be the NHS.

It would be a start, I'm shure there's no other third sector organisation that is so managment heavy.

Regards kris

I don't know As I keep saying when this subject comes up don't know what the balance of management to staff ratio is at the Trust nor how much their management costs actually are.

People keep saying its a 'lot' but then don't ever seem able to back it up.

We'll most charities run very light managment set ups now. While CRT are using the same government body managment structure. The only department there has been a structure change in since the charity took over is maintenance.

Regards kris

Maybe they could open caravan sites?

Regards kris

If they had small enclosed areas near/beside elsan points and water they could easily open caravan or caravan and camping club certified locations the problem would be collecting the fees.

At least £5 -6 per night if near facilities with showers say £10+

Only 1/4 -1/2 and arcre of extra grass to cut occasionally

We'll most charities run very light managment set ups now.

Remember CRT is a business albeit with charitable status it isn't a charity as such.

Is it management overloaded compared to comparable sized businesses?

I think you are barking up the wrong tree. If any publicly funded service should contribute it should be the NHS.

I don't know As I keep saying when this subject comes up don't know what the balance of management to staff ratio is at the Trust nor how much their management costs actually are.

People keep saying its a 'lot' but then don't ever seem able to back it up.

I totally agree the NHS is underfunded i am a culprit of NHS underfunding, i should of been admitted in hostpital a few years ago but they sent me home when unwell due to the fact their was no beds available after cost cuts, i ended up with a broken back the same night they sent me home. the NHS stinks.

All i was saying was if the canals went into despair the council would end up paying for the up keep of the land running through populated areas.

added after : it would become a police nightmare and a dirt bike heaven for anti social peeps.

Scooter hand bag robbin rat runs through estates.

Sorry for piping on about stuff i will stay away from the serious threads.

Edited by brassedoff

We'll most charities run very light managment set ups now. While CRT are using the same government body managment structure. The only department there has been a structure change in since the charity took over is maintenance.

Regards kris

Yes as I said so people keep saying. But nobody ever seems able to show the structure or evidence the associated costs.

I totally agree the NHS is underfunded i am a culprit of NHS underfunding, i should of been admitted in hostpital a few years ago but they sent me home when unwell due to the fact their was no beds available after cost cuts, i ended up with a broken back the same night they sent me home. the NHS stinks.

All i was saying was if the canals went into despair the council would end up paying for the up keep of the land nothing more.

Sorry for piping on about stuff i will stay away from the serious threads.

Don't stray you are making a more sensible and rationale contribution to the thread than some.

Then you have the Grass Poisoners and the Tire deflating squads. haha better to have a laugh i rekon than go all seriously serioouuusly

Yes as I said so people keep saying. But nobody ever seems able to show the structure or evidence the associated costs.

Don't stray you are making a more sensible and rationale contribution to the thread than some.

Thanks MJG

The thing about TV adverts is they need endlessly repeating to hit home.

One showing every 45 mins each evening for about a month would be par for the course. That's £6k x 6 showings per evening, x 30.

£1m with a bit of discount.

One showing every 45 mins each evening for about a month would be par for the course. That's £6k x 6 showings per evening, x 30.

51k for 30 seconds across all regions during the "Coronation Street" "slot" 61k for all regions during the "movie" slot

51k for 30 seconds across all regions during the "Coronation Street" "slot" 61k for all regions during the "movie" slot

Ah ok, so £11m actually, with all the risk falling on CRT.

High risk strategy I think. I hope some-one's neck is on the line for the decision to spend this much.

But somehow I doubt it.

I think this rather cynical mindset that so commonly prevails on here fails to grasp the Trusts role since it's inception.

Its not 'propaganda' it's trying to engage with more people and get them interested in the waterways which in turn will improve visitor numbers which hopefully will in turn encourage income to the Trust. What some of you boaters are not grasping is that the more income raised via. sources other than the licence fee the less the future rises in those will have to be. Some of those people who visit may even become boaters either by hiring or as owners themselves.

Carp on all you like about what will have been an expensive ad. in a prime slot but it is an investment in the long term future of the waterways, I know some on here don't see it like that but a sure fire way of seeing the waterways deteriorate into shallow muddy ditches that no body wants to visit is to keep it the sole preserve of boaters and a few angry fishermen scowling at them from the towpath.

+1 greenie! The TV ad. is the best thing that BW/CRT have done in many years. It has an awkward ending, trying too hard to emphasise the term 'waterways', but generally promotes the idea that our rivers and canals are a superb resource to be enjoyed by all. Were I a Waterways manager I might even hope that a demonstrable public response to this advertising would give me a platform to persuade Government to increase their grant rather than reduce it every year.

BTW, MJG; referring to us collectively as 'you boaters' is unacceptable, especially as you were recently 'one of us'!

Alan

Ah but the big problem there would be overstayers. Can they Section 8 a caravan?

I trust that is tongue in cheek I have never come across a caravan site with over stayers but as they are paying per night there would be no time limit. Most CL owners would be pleased to have £5 - 10 per night 365

I am reliably informed by one charity I know that TV ads (for them) bring in £4 for every £1 spent.