HOW FAR CAN YOU GET IN A DAY???????

Adam

Featured Posts

hi i am based in wakefield (stanley ferry) i go boating at the weekends what is the furthest i can go in all the directions and i know the speed limit on a narrow canal is 4mph what is it on the calder and hebble/aire and calder

"HOW FAR CAN YOU GET IN A DAY???????, Where is the furthest you can get form WAKEFIELD"

Not far enough!! [sorry couldn't resist, I'll get my coat]

!!!!! :rolleyes::blush:

I love canal plan its so good at initial journey planning..

I have found it really accurate too with regard to distances and times...as Dan said

I came from Thurmaston near Leicester to Bardney Lock, 10 miles east of Lincoln in two days last year, AND that was with a breakdown as my cutlass bearing fell off when I got back on the Fosse Dyke.

I have also been from Thurmaston to Foxton in a day, and back in a day the year before.....not on my own though.

But, in the same boat, and not single handed, it has also taken over 5 hours to travel 3 1/2 miles back down the weeded up Slea.

So with boating......you never know. It's one of the pleasures. Nothing at all like normal travelling on land, which is of course why roads put paid to the canals in the first place.

I came from Thurmaston near Leicester to Bardney Lock, 10 miles east of Lincoln in two days last year, AND that was with a breakdown as my cutlass bearing fell off when I got back on the Fosse Dyke.

"Cutlass Bearing"? Please help a newbie! Most of the time I can work out what 'bits' are in context ... but this has me stumped!

As it did me a few years ago ;) I was looking for a pirate with an eye patch and a bl&^*dy great sword :rolleyes:

When I got this boat 3 years ago, I discovered the joys of having a shaft. Estimated to be built in the early 60s but still using 19th century technology :blush:

When I took the boat out last year, I found the screws had come out. We fitted some more, I bought coach screws. My friend said the large ones were too large, and made some small wooden wedges to fill the holes. Well he must have been wrong, as it came off again. Probably caused by the vibration of the loose coupling (now changed and repaired).

wudcutlassoff.jpg

cutlasson.jpg

southreywud06six.jpg

As it did me a few years ago ;) I was looking for a pirate with an eye patch and a bl&^*dy great sword :rolleyes:

When I got this boat 3 years ago, I discovered the joys of having a shaft. Estimated to be built in the early 60s but still using 19th century technology :blush:

When I took the boat out last year, I found the screws had come out. We fitted some more, I bought coach screws. My friend said the large ones were too large, and made some small wooden wedges to fill the holes. Well he must have been wrong, as it came off again. Probably caused by the vibration of the loose coupling (now changed and repaired).

Ahh! So I take it that the bearing is that flanged bit that's off in the first and on in the second? Ta! Nice to see that the swans were helping you out having a look at your prop!

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know what type of speed boats you've got if you can get from Stanley Ferry to Sowerby Bridge or even Huddersfield in a day. If you travel around 4mph and cruise from 8am to 5pm, I think you'll get as far as Battyford.

I've only got a lister SR2 with a top speed of 3 beers and hour, but I thought that was the point.

Cheers

Rob

:lol:-->

QUOTE(Rob B @ Mar 22 2007, 07:26 PM) 117341[/snapback]
I don't know what type of speed boats you've got if you can get from Stanley Ferry to Sowerby Bridge or even Huddersfield in a day. If you travel around 4mph and cruise from 8am to 5pm, I think you'll get as far as Battyford.

I've only got a lister SR2 with a top speed of 3 beers and hour, but I thought that was the point.

It's not speed in the water that in the factor here, but efficiency at locks.

I was once on a crew that travelled from Broad Cut, a few locks south of Wakefield, to Slaithwaite in one day. No speeding - just efficient lock-wheeling and plenty of crew to work the boat through each lock. Oh, and no pub stop at lunch time!

:lol:-->

QUOTE(Rob B @ Mar 22 2007, 07:26 PM) 117341[/snapback]

Cheers

Rob

As Martin says, nowt to do with speed my friend. I've only got an SR3 but try and pair up at locks, blow the smoke out on the river and to be fair, I did arrive in Huddersfield at 7:30pm as it was August

I have to ask this question again.....why is it most people seem to moor up for the night at around 5pm. The best bit of the day for cruising is just starting, and in the summer you've a lovely 4 hours in the evening.

You can of course have your meal while you are moving, or have it later in the pub, which there is still plenty of time to visit after you have moored.

Fair enough, if you are slogging uphill through locks you are about knackered by that time, and in need of a rest, but on the days you're not.

I have to ask this question again.....why is it most people seem to moor up for the night at around 5pm. The best bit of the day for cruising is just starting, and in the summer you've a lovely 4 hours in the evening.

You can of course have your meal while you are moving, or have it later in the pub, which there is still plenty of time to visit after you have moored.

Fair enough, if you are slogging uphill through locks you are about knackered by that time, and in need of a rest, but on the days you're not.

Unfortunately on many canals and rivers, as they get busier and busier, if you haven't moored up by 5 (or by 3 on the Thames) the chances of finding a narrowboat-sized mooring for the night can become vanishingly small.