alum batteries

jenlyn

Featured Posts

....so 4 months in, 1 trip from Sheffield to Nottingham and back....aluminium battery electrolyte still 100%. Can anyone explain this in any other way than Peter was right and it blooming works? Discuss....

glad its ok it wasnt my idea it was someone else s i just thought i would give it a whirl and i had some batteries that were right up for the job

That would describe these of mine. With little cost involved, there is little to lose. Helps keep me out of trouble wink.png

not for very long as its a quick job lol i used the old acid for cleaning the garage floor of oil which it does really well

• 3 weeks later...

the alum or what ever it was was not expensive and i have done 3 batteries and all seem to be ok. i think the trick is to do batteries that are just starting to fail who knows

Just to wake up this thread...

Could you expand on "all seems to be ok" please?

Did you do a capacity test on the battery before changing the electrolyte then again after, for example? Are you claiming an improvement over the previous performance or just a halt in the degradation?

I'm just wondering if the three batteries would have been just as ok had you replaced the electrolyte with new sulphuric acid.

There was a thread ages ago where posters were saying simply shaking up their old batteries by dragging half a mile along the towpath on a trolley back to the car seemed to rejuvenate them too. ISTR Gibbo posting an explanation for this effect.

I have to say though, I'm staggered that a lead acid battery works at all with the acid replaced with Sodium aluminosilicate. A proper controlled test of battery capacity before and after the electrolyte swap would be more convincing than a bland "all seems to be ok" result!

I'm also wondering if a SmartGauge would still work with a sodium aluminosilicate battery. Where's Gibbo!?!

mike what can i say the battery in spacyfaces boat still starts his boat thats the test for me if it didnt then it was knackered. i removed it from a jag because it was failing the self test washed it out filled it with the alum mix and 4 months later it holds a charge and starts the boat perfik

mike what can i say the battery in spacyfaces boat still starts his boat thats the test for me if it didnt then it was knackered. i removed it from a jag because it was failing the self test washed it out filled it with the alum mix and 4 months later it holds a charge and starts the boat perfik

Frankly, this is twaddle. Starting an engine is trivial work compared to the work demanded of a deep discharge domestic battery.

Shall we say 300A for ten seconds to start a typical narrowboat diesel? That's less than one Amp Hour. Even the most knackered of domestic batteries would be capable of this!

Have you tried converting a domestic battery to aluminosilicate electrolyte? How did that perform?

I'm also wondering if Jenlyn has any meaningful test results to offer the board, seeing as he started the thread with the idea!

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Gibbo must have a will of iron, not to read this forum after so much contribution.

Come on Gibbo, get going again, lad. There are many of your fans here!

There is zero chance of Gibbo returning. The signal to noise ratio just got on his wick. I was chatting to him a couple of days ago and he laughed about the whole affair.

There is zero chance of Gibbo returning. The signal to noise ratio just got on his wick. I was chatting to him a couple of days ago and he laughed about the whole affair.

I am pleased for him that he could find it amusing. Good on him.

Next time you see him, tell him that his expertise would be most welcome back, by me at least!

Hi Mike....We've only tried it on a starter battery as Peter states. It works in terms, that it starts the battery, it's holding charge as my alternators are performing badly. I'm afraid that's the only way that I can quantify this test. I don't have access to the equipment to test the battery I'm sorry. I would be very interested in hearing from anyone who's had a play with a leisure battery.