cat possibly overboard

Ronalan

Featured Posts

I watched my cat climb the smooth side of a boat from the water.

One time he turned mid air as he was falling so only his bum got wet then scrambled up the side of the bosy

They can get out.

don't worry.

The cat will be fine and adapt to life on board probably faster than you will.

Just give her access to her food and somewhere of her choosing to sleep.

The net will be in reserve and probably be only used to rescue floating Pigeons and frogs, and also for fishing, if your that way inclined!

Our Cat, Samy, is now the skipper and has her crew running about doing whatever she desires!

Best of luck and don't worry about the cat.

Nipper

Ours always managed to get up using the rope fenders....except for the time Dave rescued Zebby from the bottom side of the wooden pontoon using the catch net and almost falling in himself biggrin.png

ETA - Love your post Martin :)

Edited by Bettie Boo

We cruised in mainly Coastal, Waters, Estuaries, Harbours and Rivers with two cats on board when I was with my wife for some 6 years, yes they both went in for an unscheduled dip on occasion, yes, they got caught out on the sand or east coast mud frequently, but they can swim pretty good, and survived to tell the tale,

If you can get a cpl of the Coconut or we had the Rope type outdoor mats and hang them over the side a few inch above the water line, this will help them scramble back aboard when the inevitable happens.

Shame we haven't got say 'A Pet Section' to put this in so other pet owners can find such things easier !.

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

Shame we haven't got say 'A Pet Section' to put this in so other pet owners can find such things easier !.

second time having a pet section has been suggested - Dear Mods please can we have a pet section

Thanks everyone. I lived half my childhood on narrow boats and was actually born on one, as was the cat we had on the last boat. However that boat was static. The squirrels used to leave the cat dangling from tiny branches until she had to fall for a swim!!

The mat is a brilliant idea.

Thanks Martin for that picture, made me laugh!

And yes definitely a pet section needed.

Soon to be continuous cruisers..

Rona and Alan and Luna the cat of course!

Hang stuff in the water on both sides that the cat can get out on- they may be confused when you turn the boat around, one of mine was and went in and swam to the far bank. I was right by the net but didn't have time to use it before she was out of reach. I always moor in spots where the cats can get out on the bank if they need to, with rope fenders on both sides in the water should they help, but they've never used them. I would suggest that given the speed and panic of a swimming cat, a net would only be helpful if the cat is in the water for a long time, because she can't find a way out; and if that was the case, you'd probably have to spend all your time watching her just in case.