Rolls or Trojan

Rambling

Featured Posts

I have 5 x 110a Newmark lead acid batteries and want to replace & upgrade to a much heavier duty battery as they are dead.

These are the 2 makes that are consistently coming up and I can get to fit the existing box.

I want maintenance free. Which are better?

Edited by Rambling

I put 2 Rolls 4000 blocks (s530 6v) in the barge about 4 years ago.

They failed within 18 months but Rolls shipped me a replacement pair without taking away the old ones. There was a completely dead cell in each block of 3 cells. SG of 1.05 or something so almost water. I think they were broken inside from new. New set is on float all thr time now so I don't know what they would be like off grid.

The 4000 series are tall and can stratify and they are heavy beggars as well !!

They do a 7 year warranty but I don't know if that counts if I kill a second pair :rolleyes:

Bloke at surette (manufacturer in Canada) said my float voltage was too low and killed them :( but sent me new ones anyway...

Edited by magnetman

I have 5 x 110a Newmark lead acid batteries and want to replace & upgrade to a much heavier duty battery as they are dead.

These are the 2 makes that are consistently coming up and I can get to fit the existing box.

I want maintenance free. Which are better?

Which ever ones, you look after correctly.

Yes, more expensive true deep cycle should last longer but not if you abuse them.

Both makes have a good reputation so go with price.

I am not fit to answer this question as shortly after installing new, cheap FLA batteries my alternator failed and I ruined the new batteries within a few weeks by repeatedly totally discharging them and recharging to <80%. Expensive 'traction' batteries may have lost less capacity but 'price-for-price' I believe my loss was less with the cheap batteries.

Usually the deciding factor for a canal boat is how much charge (Amps) the battery will accept. Open top batteries can be charged fastest but may require topping up of the electrolyte (thus the watering system recommended by 'Peterboat'), 'maintenance free' batteries will accept a lower charge rate but may have removable caps allowing topping up; Gel batteries a yet lower rate and are only required if you must mount them on their sides or even invert them for short periods in e.g. a lifeboat or aerobatic aircraft, saturated glass mat has similar properties.

Alan

It is not automatic watering as you pump up a water tank about once a month and it tops them up until the little float valves stop it over filling. So you still have to remember to do it.

But it is handy if you can't see in the top to check levels. And for what it's worth I am a fan of 2v cell full traction batteries as they are cheaper than rolls and should last a lot longer with a good charge routine.

I have 2 banks of 2 volt cells one bank is 10 years old and still working well I have nearly 1 kw of solar so it keeps them charged. I have a dishwasher autowasher electric kettle etc etc so I am a heavy user of power and wanted something long lasting and reliable

Peter

I am not fit to answer this question as shortly after installing new, cheap FLA batteries my alternator failed and I ruined the new batteries within a few weeks by repeatedly totally discharging them and recharging to <80%. Expensive 'traction' batteries may have lost less capacity but 'price-for-price' I believe my loss was less with the cheap batteries.

Usually the deciding factor for a canal boat is how much charge (Amps) the battery will accept. Open top batteries can be charged fastest but may require topping up of the electrolyte (thus the watering system recommended by 'Peterboat'), 'maintenance free' batteries will accept a lower charge rate but may have removable caps allowing topping up; Gel batteries a yet lower rate and are only required if you must mount them on their sides or even invert them for short periods in e.g. a lifeboat or aerobatic aircraft, saturated glass mat has similar properties.

Alan

Actually, Lifeline AGMs can be charged much faster.

Forget Gel. They have been superseded by AGM.