Engine room hatches on tidal Thames

Painter Type

Featured Posts

Scholar too true at Hammersmith. There are shoals all round there. Done a shear pin there many moons ago and had to row ashore. This was at lowish tide admittedly.

Edited by mark99

Hi Magnetman,

I too thought of the idea of some plywood wash boards, will probably do it as part of boat prep, not hard, have acres of plywood lying around and some handy brackets to screw into oak hatch trim.

Thanks for that

In the absence of cooling air ducting and high level 'in' ventilation, then having the engineroom doors open and some washboards in them well above gunwhale level would be the next best option.

Ps. Avoid using the type of washboards that people like Lonnie Donegan had, they're no good at all for keeping water out.

In the absence of cooling air ducting and high level 'in' ventilation, then having the engineroom doors open and some washboards in them well above gunwhale level would be the next best option.

Sounds v sensible - I lovingly made this for my recent Wash crossing, a complete waste of time. It didn't keep the spray out, of which there was quite a bit (compared to normal experience!); and the actual volume of water dumped on the foredeck was trivial.

dscf5028.jpg

Side doors / hatches? close them. very small risk of water pouring in if they are open but no risk if closed. That's it really. If the tide allows I would go early. I've done that trip a few times and try to avoid trip boats and those taxi things.

There's quite a bit of stuff on earlier threads, but in addition to the points made here I would add:

Thanks SG.

I have been grazing all the relevant threads on here as well as chatting to boaters who are experienced on the Thames.

I am now just mildly aprehensive. But I have been apprehensive the first time I did other tidal trips too and I'm happy to say that everything, generally, went fine on those.

Good information regarding Hammersmith Bridge. I've also been told about the tide pull towards a big mooring dolphin near Tower Bridge and to keep well out when setting course to pass.

I will definitely be monitoring the VHF and I have an extra pair of eyes I can trust coming along with me.

Thanks SG.

I have been grazing all the relevant threads on here as well as chatting to boaters who are experienced on the Thames.

I am now just mildly aprehensive. But I have been apprehensive the first time I did other tidal trips too and I'm happy to say that everything, generally, went fine on those.

Good information regarding Hammersmith Bridge. I've also been told about the tide pull towards a big mooring dolphin near Tower Bridge and to keep well out when setting course to pass.

I will definitely be monitoring the VHF and I have an extra pair of eyes I can trust coming along with me.

Don't know if you picked this up but a good pair of binoculars to hand are very helpful.

There are some rubbish rafts/random logs etc in places.

Good tip about the binoculars and I also agree about the early-in-the-morning option. If tide allows you can book the lock from 0500 hours :) the person in the marina office has a nice little table of availability

There may be still some restrictions - I asked on Monday and was told they are not using the lock 3 hours each side of low water due to seal problems which are due to be fixed. Normally it would be 2 hours. Lock may be fixed now not sure. I went through at 5.30 in June and had the River all to myself until I met the small Thames Clipper (moving slowly) at Battersea on their first service from Putney :)

We are planning to go out at 0515 on the 8th August assuming the lock is sorted. Obviously you have to be flexible about times but if its a nice day an early run through the Pool of London in summer is absolutely superb.

Edited by magnetman

I have taken the advice about going early. It makes a lot of sense.

Unfortunately there are other factors I have to juggle which taken together mean leaving Limehouse around 09:00 this time. I know this is not ideal, but so far from what I have read I don't consider it will be positively dangerous to make the trip at that time. Given it will be inevitable I will meet the trip boats, being forewarned is forearmed and I will be looking to anticipate the wash they create rather than being caught out by it.

Bins definitely on the check list, then.

BTW I will not just be gratefully recieving this advice. I will come back here to post on my experiences,

Last time we did the tide way it was 3 o'clock on a Sunday afternoon, and was much busier and therefore choppier than on other occasions. I'd try to avoid a Sunday afternoon in the future!

When booking at the office, make sure they know whether their tide times are in GMT or BST. Twice the lock keeper in the office has got it wrong, and I was glad I'd already worked out what time we should be leaving.

Oh and another thing. If you are looking behind you (see above) you may see a flashing white light on one of the bridges behind you. This will probably mean that in about 5-10 minutes one of these jobbies will overtake you (the narrowboat is on the right).

This can get quite entertaining if you are both trying to go under a bridge at the same time. At about half the bridges they can take the centre arch (with the flashing white light, which indicates they have absolute priority!) and you take one to the right. It's a bit trickier if there is only one inbound arch: my advice would be to slow down, and if necessary round up close to the north shore and stem the tide until they have passed.

dscf1573-copy-copy.jpg?w=1000&h=288&crop

Thanks again SG. I was aware of the isophase lights and the Cory barges.

Given the situation you describe, my instinct would be to slow down exactly as you suggest. In fact no other option is immediatly obvious to me.

Is it correct that the lights flash on both upstream and downstream sides of the bridge opening so you can make no assumptions about which way the priority vessel is heading?

Thanks again SG. I was aware of the isophase lights and the Cory barges.

Given the situation you describe, my instinct would be to slow down exactly as you suggest. In fact no other option is immediatly obvious to me.

Is it correct that the lights flash on both upstream and downstream sides of the bridge opening so you can make no assumptions about which way the priority vessel is heading?

You are right re the lights, and also on not trying to outrun the tugs - you won't win!.

In my experience:

• the tugs always go up with the flood tide - so they will overtake you
  • if you see a light in front of you but not one behind you then there is indeed a boat coming downstream towards you
  • there are a few passenger boats (eg SILVER STURGEON) which are large enough to trigger the Isophase lights. They only go up to Westminster. They also need to get permission from VTS before they do anything - in other words you will get more warning what they are about to do.

• 2 weeks later...

To finish off this thread, did the tidal Thames, locked-out of Limehouse at 12:45 on a Saturday afternoon on an averagely breezy day. It was great fun, no water got in through the hatches, or elsewhere. We found the trip and clipper boats where really considerate to our little convoy of three narrowboats. This must be done, enjoy.

To finish off this thread, did the tidal Thames, locked-out of Limehouse at 12:45 on a Saturday afternoon on an averagely breezy day. It was great fun, no water got in through the hatches, or elsewhere. We found the trip and clipper boats where really considerate to our little convoy of three narrowboats. This must be done, enjoy.

Very good. Any photos please ?