newbie taking the plunge! Boat Surveys?

Morticiah

Featured Posts

Not literally I hope, though I'm a clumsy kinda person!

After years of marriage/children etc., I have the chance to fulfil the dream of buying a boat and living on board.

I don't think I've got rose tinted specs on - I have spent time on boats in the snow/horizontal rain/gale force winds etc - so I think that I know what Summer Winter can be like. I know the horrors of the pump-out. And despite this prior warning, I still need to attempt to live the dream. (basically, I'm a difficult determined kinda person and I'm going to do it regardless of what any Landlubbers say) judge.gif

So ... if everything goes as planned, within the next couple of months I should be able to purchase a boat that I intend to live on. With an aim to be CC'ing the GU/Thames next year.

I have literally hundreds of questions in my head but I guess I'd better start with the simple ones.

I'm trawling through the boats for sale and have seen a few that interest me. How do I decide which ones need a survey? I wouldn't buy a house without a full survey - so the thought of buying a boat without one is pretty alien to me. Can you lovely people give me your views?

and ... can you give me a rough idea of how much a Survey costs and how long it would take? I'm looking at a narrowboat around 55-60' long and If possible I'd like to be living onboard by October/November - settled in for the Winter. Is this feasible?

Mort

p.s. Yes, I'm already working on the mooring situation. I looked at mooring before I looked at boats ;-)

Helloo Mort **waves**

Im in the same boat as you heeheee ?

We are hoping to be in one before xmas i was looking at 50ft-57 (to make sure i dont get stuck in a lock somewhere) but today been looking at some from 45ft ... im only 4ft 10 so dont think il need oodles of room lol

So il be stalking your posts cos no doubt youl be asking the questions i havent even thort of yet :)

I'd knock OFF CCing on the Thames in winter. River levels go up and down and even if you're onboard life can be a bit hairy - not being able to get to the shops / water / pumpout and the like is likely.

Also it's the time of year when lock repairs are done and even if the River's not in flood you may not be able to move far anyway.

That is if you really are moving around.

cool - thank you people!

* waves back at Bobbie-Joe* Nice to meet someone shorter than me * happy grin * I shall also stalk your posts. And who knows, maybe one day we'll end up in the same pub!

Thank you, Athy - that is what I thought - but then I read of other people buying boats sans survey and my eyebrows are still haven't descended from the heavens.

and Thank you, OldGoat - I should have explained, at the moment I'm thinking that it might be wisest to hibernate in a nice Marina over this Winter. But in the future, CC'ing on the GU is the plan. I'm saving the The Thames for the Summer months as I don't want to end up moored in someone's garden.

Edited by Morticiah

...........- but then I read of other people buying boats sans survey and my eyebrows are still haven't descended from the heavens.

Ok - my take on surveys.

I have only ever had one survey in 30 years of boat buying (about a dozen boats), it was the first 'real' boat (after moving up from trailer boats).

The surveyor missed some critical points which, after I had bought the boat, resulted in over £20,000 of costs. We ended up taking legal action against the surveyor which (to cut a long story short) ended up with our Solicitor saying we had no case due to the small print in the survey, which went something like this :

"I can make no comment on anything I cannot see, I will not lift carpets, look in cupboards or look into anything that requires tools, the survey is valid on the day of issue only"

The survey is worthless, it may identify some of the issues but it does not guarantee to find them all, the ones it misses may be the 'expensive ones' (as they were in our case)

Have never had a survey since and so far (using common sense) have never bought a 'bad boat'.

Ok - my take on surveys.

I have only ever had one survey in 30 years of boat buying (about a dozen boats), it was the first 'real' boat (after moving up from trailer boats).

The surveyor missed some critical points which, after I had bought the boat, resulted in over £20,000 of costs. We ended up taking legal action against the surveyor which (to cut a long story short) ended up with our Solicitor saying we had no case due to the small print in the survey, which went something like this :

"I can make no comment on anything I cannot see, I will not lift carpets, look in cupboards or look into anything that requires tools, the survey is valid on the day of issue only"

The survey is worthless, it may identify some of the issues but it does not guarantee to find them all, the ones it misses may be the 'expensive ones' (as they were in our case)

Have never had a survey since and so far (using common sense) have never bought a 'bad boat'.

Thank you for that input.

So, basically a Boat Survey isn't like a proper Structural Survey of a house? It hasn't changed since your first boat?

I had assumed that having a survey meant lifting the boat out of the water etc etc. Which is why I asked about costs. Yes, I think I mentioned I was a newbie!!

But from what you are saying . . . it's more of a Foxton's valuation?

If a surveyor states that "I can make no comment on anything I cannot see, I will not lift carpets, look in cupboards or look into anything that requires tools, the survey is valid on the day of issue only" then it would probably be a waste of my time and money arranging one.

So how do I know if a boat is any good?

Edited by Morticiah

You can specify all sorts of surveys - Hull, machinery (engine etc), structural etc etc.

It was an expensive boat - I had specified a full survey (everything). The boat is lifted out and the surveyor does his 'thing', the boat is put back in the surveyor phone you and tells you "everything is OK and its a good value at that price - full survey report in the post ........" Because he would not take out the dipstick (spanner needed) he did not see that the drive leg contained emulsified oil, seals gone, drive leg full of salt water, drive seized on the way to Ireland.

Just one of a myriad of 'missed' things.

Some folks have saved themselves some money by having a survey as the surveyor identified problems that either stopped the purchase or enabled a re-negotiation of the price, it just depends on the luck-of-the-draw.

You should budget about £800-£1000 for a lift out, survey & drop back in, depending on what method of 'lift out' the yard has.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Which boats need a survey?

ALL OF THEM. Don't buy without having one done.

Ignore him. The correct answer in NONE OF THEM!

Get the boat docked and have a walk around it, with a Big Hammer. Hit the boat with it in various random places especially the baseplate and especially under the pump-out tank. As long as your hammer doesn't go through the hull anywhere, the boat is fine.

That'll be £500 please.

damn, I love ALL of you guys 'n gals already!!!

This is gonna be a fun time.

*When I have a hammer, I'll hammer in the morning, I'll hammer in the evening, all over this Hull. I'll hammer out a warning ....*

But not under the pump-out tank

p.s. £1000 put aside for surveys

Edited by Morticiah

Thorny issue, surveys, a bit of a marmite topic which will polarise opinions.

I have also had bad experience of surveyors, I asked one to look for a very specific issue which I'd found was a known problem under certain circumstances on a particular style of boat, and it wasn't something that was diffilcult to find. He either completely ignored me or had another agenda. Having paid a "professional" I didn't look myself, but found that the issue (ten grand to fix) was there when I wanted to sell a year later. I have subsequently walked away from a boat with a current survey by the same guy.

would I have a boat surveyed again - yes, of course. They will find things that you might not. Would I trust the survey explicitly? No I wouldn't.

All depends how much you're spending, and also what sort of a deal you can negotiate for a quick sale. A survey would typically enable you to reduce the offer price or get a load of work done. If you're fairly savvy about boats, you might be able to agree an even more favourable price to mitigate against potential problems which never arise.

Thank you Bacchus. That was the kind of thing I needed to hear.

The fact that you are one of my fave gods helps (but only slightly).

MtB - Damn, you are such a flirt.

I'll put your offer in the 'under consideration' file. For when I need help with my Boiler. ;-)

I have a foot in both camps, I wouldn't bother with a survey myself if I was buying a boat but I would advise you to do it. After you have been through the process a few times you get to know enough to make your own assessment but for someone new to the game a good surveyor is a must.

Having said that there are surveyors and surveyors. Again, when you have some experience you find out who is really good and who is shocking, and there are some.

I won't post it on here but if you want a personal recommendation and the reasons why, send me a PM.

Oooo it would be awsome to bump into each other sometime in a pub ? keep an eye out for a boat called Mushroom & Pye ( thats what shel be called) and totally covered in L plates with a flustered short arse and 2 cockatiels at the tiller !!!

Back to surveys..... what about if ones are advertised with recent survey would it still be wise to coff up a grand for a new one?

Oooo it would be awsome to bump into each other sometime in a pub keep an eye out for a boat called Mushroom & Pye ( thats what shel be called) and totally covered in L plates with a flustered short arse and 2 cockatiels at the tiller !!!

Back to surveys..... what about if ones are advertised with recent survey would it still be wise to coff up a grand for a new one?

No.

As I said, I'll do you one for £999.

...Oh hang on, you're not the same gurl are you? !

:D

Lol well to be honest i only lurk about on the fb groups and havent actually said anything cos fb likes to tell all the world what your upto n its a secret at the mo. But i have seen some strange folks on there.

Il take you up on that pint if im ever down that way .. same goes if your up here ?

Overheard Whilton salesman telling a young couple interested in buying a boat that after the survey they would do any repairs that were needed to allow the boat to pass the BSC. It was obvious the couple didn't know what this was but it sounded like " if anything is wrong with the boat we will put it right" Is this con also found at othe marinas?