To Boston And Back

Featured Posts

Ok thanks, we're from Scotland so the CRT moorings sound fine!

You will enjoy counting the empty beer bottles on the window cills of the student accommodation.

Maybe they've been tidied away for the summer conference visitors....

Phew, escaped from the scary tidal Trent (not) onto the Fossdyke. Tide was a bit of a non

event, ground speed dropped from 5.5 to 4.5 mph for a while, then back up to 6.2 with the ebb. 4'6" over the cill at Torksey even though it was HW+3 hrs

Edited by nicknorman

SENSITIVE PERSON ALERT. PLEASE DO NOT READ THIS POST IF YOU ARE OF SENSITIVE NATURE AND HAVE AN ATTACHMENT TO LINCOLN.

So we found 2 things of interest in Lincoln, the Glory Hole and the Shit Hole. The former is a small bridge, albeit very attractive, whilst the latter incorporates all the rest of Lincoln as seen from the waterway. Well maybe a bit harsh? ... Err No.

The run in to Lincoln from the Torksey promises much with a nice village or two and great views of the cathedral on the hill, but getting nearer there is a long line of residential boats some of which look a bit grim. Nothing wrong with having an old boat but does it have to be filthy and junk piled as well? Bit like the run into Oxford.

No visitor moorings for ages, and then there is a brief length of CRT VM which (probably mercifully) were full. Then there are a couple of visitor moorings belonging to the marina, pretty rundown, no security, right under a noisy road bridge. I suppose we might have stopped there for shopping but not since we would have had to pay £10. Then you come into Brayford Pool. I hadn't realised that Lincoln had no buildings in it pre-1960. What are the town planners on? (Well, apart from backhanders from the developers, obviously). What a mishmash of ugly modern building with no cohesion. If they had spent less money on "F-off you boaters, no bloody mooring" signs and more on a plan, it would have been better. It is just totally unwelcoming to visiting boats. Clearly the marina is doing a roaring trade in cruiser moorings but virtually nothing for visiting narrowboats.

Beyond the glory hole it all looked a bit dodgy since you are right in the middle of a shopping plaza with gangs of bored kids and drunks hanging around. Lots and lots of free moorings there, but not a boat in sight, I wonder why? (Not).

I expect there are some nice parts of Lincoln around the cathedral etc but best to visit by car. I think I preferred Manchester which is saying something, and even Walsall Town arm is better.

Anyway, bottom line is we didn't stop. We carried on through stamp end lock onto the Witham, which suddenly seemed a lot nicer, and are now moored in a lovely spot at Washingborough.

No sobbing you Lincoln-dwellers, I did warn you at the beginning not to read but you did anyway so only yourselves to blame.

I'm afraid to say I rather agree. I stopped for an hour or so in the shopping plaza (good mooring rings but you need to vault over the railings to get out!).

If I did stop overnight, I would probably anchor in the Pool.

Was much more pleasant on my last visit (1982!) when you could moor end on, to the side of the pool where the "no mooring" signs now are.

SPJ

Edited by Scholar Gypsy

I'm afraid to say I rather agree. I stopped for an hour or so in the shopping plaza (good mooring rings but you need to vault over the railings to get out!).

If I did stop overnight, I would probably anchor in the Pool.

Was much more pleasant on my last visit (1982!) when you could moor end on, to the side of the pool where the "no mooring" signs now are.

SPJ

There are gates in the railings outside the waterside centre which are locked with CRT padlocks.

Whilst busy during the day the Waterside moorings are very quiet at night. Sadly now only 24 hour moorings due to one or two boat owners taking the P155. This probably explains the lack of boats moored there.

Lovely mooring at Washingborough, I lived in village for 18 years

Popular with the local yoof at this time of year and in this weather. Although since the rail house has had work started and the owners have moved in it isn't as bad.

Popular with the local yoof at this time of year and in this weather. Although since the rail house has had work started and the owners have moved in it isn't as bad.

Certainly no problems so far tonight, a couple of middle aged guys provided entertainment with paddle boards / falling in, a couple of rowers whizzed about a bit. Moored in front of us we have a nice couple in a wide beam, used to have a cruiser at Burton Waters next to naughty cal apparently.

We have taken the brass lamp and horn in though.

Edited by nicknorman

The weed boom might well be across the entrance to the river at this time of year.

Thanks. Further research suggests that some NBs have got under the bridge and turned at the pumping station a few hundred metres further on. I won't be trying this ... See here

Certainly no problems so far tonight, a couple of middle aged guys provided entertainment with paddle boards / falling in, a couple of rowers whizzed about a bit. Moored in front of us we have a nice couple in a wide beam, used to have a cruiser at Burton Waters next to naughty cal apparently.

We have taken the brass lamp and horn in though.

Ah yep. Older couple. Had a Sealine called White Mischief. Nice couple but a sports cruiser wasn't for them.

Where you heading for today?

Thanks. Further research suggests that some NBs have got under the bridge and turned at the pumping station a few hundred metres further on. I won't be trying this ... See here

That's the one.

Can't be that bad as when a group of us went down last easter three or four narrowboats turned around there, one of which was a very novice helmswoman.

We turned around in front of the pub where we were moored up. It's shallow in the edge you might need your plank. We managed to raise our leg and get alongside.

Last night spent moored at the Packet Inn (something of a 70s throwback!) having walked the 1/2 mile or so to the threshold of RAF Coningsby runway to watch an AWACS doing circuits and bumps. Now blasted along the final rather straight, deep and 6mph section into Boston. The approach gives a great view of the "stump" aka church.

post-9028-0-81347300-1436019328_thumb.jpg

Climbed the 200+ steps up the stump to get a great 360 deg view of the area. Yes it is pretty flat! Apparently you can see Lincoln cathedral on a clear day, but we couldn't as it was a bit hazy. Shopping revealed the majority of voices to be Eastern European as I suppose one would expect.

1/2 way through our trip now so time to head back - well no choice really as if we lock down here we are onto the sea!

Edited by nicknorman

Nice to meet you all be it briefly.

I would recommend a stop at Fiskerton Fen if you have the time.

Likewise, and thanks for the tip.

Had a lovely evening at Anton's Gowt with a great sunset looking up the long straight towards Lincoln.

post-9028-0-23236400-1436046249_thumb.jpg

Only slight downer is that there is an engine running but it transpires it's not one of the other boats, it's a farmer's water extraction pump and as such I dont really mind it since it represent "the country" as opposed to a "selfish boater".

Edited by nicknorman

Back through Lincoln today. We braved the Monday morning 10am drunks and moored just east of the Glory Hole for a walk up to the cathedral. Yeay! We found a nice bit of Lincoln, after a steep climb. Mind you they wanted EIGHT POONDS to walk into the cathedral, not sure what Jesus would have had to say about that, and just another confirmation that organised religion is all about money and power. I think I'll find another God who doesn't charge so much for adoration.

Brayford pool still highly uninspiring and unwelcoming. For some reason "Lincoln marina" doesn't have anything useful like fuel. CRT 48hr moorings still full, mostly the same boats that were there 4 days ago so who says mooring enforcement isn't necessary! Popped into Burton Waters for diesel, where they were very friendly but made me feel decidedly under-dressed! Heading for Torksey now to lock down and await tomorrow's flood.

Edited by nicknorman

Back through Lincoln today. We braved the Monday morning 10am drunks and moored just east of the Glory Hole for a walk up to the cathedral. Yeay! We found a nice bit of Lincoln, after a steep climb. Mind you they wanted EIGHT POONDS to walk into the cathedral, not sure what Jesus would have had to say about that, and just another confirmation that organised religion is all about money and power. I think I'll find another God who doesn't charge so much for adoration.

Brayford pool still highly uninspiring and unwelcoming. For some reason "Lincoln marina" doesn't have anything useful like fuel. CRT 48hr moorings still full, mostly the same boats that were there 4 days ago so who says mooring enforcement isn't necessary! Popped into Burton Waters for diesel, where they were very friendly but made me feel decidedly under-dressed! Heading for Torksey now to lock down and await tomorrow's flood.

I didnt rate Lincoln that highly either, didnt like Boston at night although good in the daytime. The owner of the indian in Boston ran us back to the moorings as he was worried about our health walking through Boston at night. We loved Woodall Spa it is the town that time forgot but just so nice. We filmed our passage through the glory hole as we only had millimeters to spare on the wheelhouse bum twitching stuff. We are Going to Nottingham this year so will see how it goes that far upstream

Peter

I didnt rate Lincoln that highly either, didnt like Boston at night although good in the daytime. The owner of the indian in Boston ran us back to the moorings as he was worried about our health walking through Boston at night. We loved Woodall Spa it is the town that time forgot but just so nice. We filmed our passage through the glory hole as we only had millimeters to spare on the wheelhouse bum twitching stuff. We are Going to Nottingham this year so will see how it goes that far upstream

Peter

I agree re Woodhall Spa - I went there at the weekend (photos here), to watch Jurassic World at the Kinema.

The way to get into the Cathedral free is to go to choral evensong, or indeed any other service. They have taken the view that they have to charge other visitors, to cover the costs of running and maintaining the building (a team of thirty craftsmen and women, it says here) ...

I agree re Woodhall Spa - I went there at the weekend (photos here), to watch Jurassic World at the Kinema.

The way to get into the Cathedral free is to go to choral evensong, or indeed any other service. They have taken the view that they have to charge other visitors, to cover the costs of running and maintaining the building (a team of thirty craftsmen and women, it says here) ...

Or go when they have an event. We went to an engineering event earlier this year.

Overnighted below Torksey lock with a good steak pie from the Swan to keep us happy. Low water was late evening and I noticed there was still 0.9 metres over the cill. Today we set off within 5 mins of the flood starting and made over 6 mph upstream until the last 3miles or so when we fell off the flood and it dropped to 5,3 or so. Under 3 hrs for the trip although I was running the engine fairly fast - 2100rpm.

Mixture of sun, cloud, strong gusty winds and heavy horizontal showers - thank heavens for the trad stern!

Tonight in Newark hopefully.

Edited by nicknorman

Overnighted below Torksey lock with a good steak pie from the Swan to keep us happy. Low water was late evening and I noticed there was still 0.9 metres over the cill. Today we set off within 5 mins of the flood starting and made over 6 mph upstream until the last 3miles or so when we fell off the flood and it dropped to 5,3 or so. Under 3 hrs for the trip although I was running the engine fairly fast - 2100rpm.

Mixture of sun, cloud, strong gusty winds and heavy horizontal showers - thank heavens for the trad stern!

Tonight in Newark hopefully.

They are good steak pies mmmmm

Peter

Oh the joys of volockies! At Holme lock, which is pretty deep, the volocky has opened the top gate paddles to what I would describe as a slightly leaky gate flow rate. After 5 mins the lock has filled about 6". Well he did say it would take 30 mins to fill! Mind you what with elfin safety one can't be too careful! Zzzzzzzz

Ah, we're risking a bit more now, I'm scared! Anyway, nice day for loitering.

Oh the joys of volockies! At Holme lock, which is pretty deep, the volocky has opened the top gate paddles to what I would describe as a slightly leaky gate flow rate. After 5 mins the lock has filled about 6". Well he did say it would take 30 mins to fill! Mind you what with elfin safety one can't be too careful! Zzzzzzzz

Ah, we're risking a bit more now, I'm scared! Anyway, nice day for loitering.

Be careful what you wish for!

We have been in there when one of the lockies has opened the paddles pretty much full whack. The wall of water running over the cill had to be seen to be believed. Luckily we had tied the ropes off on the boat. Boat beside us wasn't so lucky, poor woman on the bow didn't have a chance of holding onto the rope and had to let go.

Be careful what you wish for!

We have been in there when one of the lockies has opened the paddles pretty much full whack. The wall of water running over the cill had to be seen to be believed. Luckily we had tied the ropes off on the boat. Boat beside us wasn't so lucky, poor woman on the bow didn't have a chance of holding onto the rope and had to let go.

Yeabut "happy medium" springs to mind!