A Wee one to start again.

W+T

Featured Posts

Dd i get your hopes up for something exciting Tony, sorry lol.

Well this week, First off got a mooring all sorted and paid for as of today :) Found it last week and finalised it today. It on the Lancaster a Cabus Nook. Cheap as chips and as i like them. Quiet.

Work on the boat, well i got a xmas pressie just in time to make this job easier, no pics as it is boring, it is a Makita Multi tool. that could be the last tool i need ( who am i trying to kid )but for a mobile table saw maybe.

I have trimmed back the edges of the ply lining ready to be plined out so just now needs a quick sand over and get rid of all the dust to do so. First though it will be varnished inside. I fettled the canopy frame so its good to go, well the welds need to be neatened up a bit , Still not easy to Tig weld with bad fingers and elbows, now the welding mas is on its way out.

I made a few Iroko risers for the front canopy mounts but these will be replaced with either SS or Ally when i get around to it. Its not a priority to launch.

So when folded down the frame all lies down level. Also i moved the riser mount further back so this gives a better access to get on and off the boat. 

20190107-120202.jpg

20190107-120209.jpg

Now you see this area, i have made and yet to fit in place once i get the weather. 90 deg angles to get a better contact for the canopy to fit to instead of the steep angle for the turn button to attach on to.

I got a length of 65mm square down pipe and used that as a mould. 

20190106-120400.jpg

20190106-115958.jpg

I used some basting tape that arrived for making the canopy ( fine double sided tape ) and used tinfoil for releasing. 

20190106-122039.jpg

Blending combo matting together as using off cuts, feather edges to get a more level finish.

20190106-124140.jpg

20190106-124155.jpg

Can barley see the join ;)

20190106-125030.jpg

That job a said will be done soon enough, but asap as i need it done for the canopy patterns to be made.

And as we speak look what arrived at last :):)  8m of Top Gun canvas and windows with size 10 zips, and 1oz 450m of V69 thread.

20190107-123712.jpg

So time to practice my sewing on this. Will be `trying` to make a canopy for this with cheaper but same weight canvas. I knocked up this frame up Friday morning. 

20190109-120508.jpg

Now i wish i didnt, but doing corners are a pain in the arse to sew but atleast there will not be any on the boat canopy. 20mm SHS 1.6 wall and a dozen slits and it bent just nice.

20190109-120447.jpg

And there we go, one thing, well another, i should of painted it first but weather was against me. Darn masking tape would not stick to well to the rusty frame so when i went to amend the pattern the masking tape come away with the basting tape on the pattern material. 

20190110-154047.jpg

20190111-124210.jpg

So 25mm masking tape then 10mm basting tape.

20190111-125456.jpg

etc etc

20190111-135352.jpg

20190111-132356.jpg

All that was easy enough to do, And would of been easier if i didnt rush it and think more of how i wanted the thing to be finished. As in hems and joins and wot not. 

Sooooo my sewing. Its ok could do neater lock stitch`s but this is the first panel, and ok the corners are a mess here. Enjoying it though.

This cheap canvas at £6pm towards the Top Gun at £25pm, no way am i going to waste that on this practice.

I am over the moon with the sewing machine, easy to set up and use and can do seven layers of this canvas with ease, 

front trailer cover panel done. The rear will have a zipped door roll up type.

20190112-171952.jpg

20190112-172020.jpg

Atleast these corners will not be seen, but then the top and sides will need to be better as these will come around  the corners to overlap these.

Piggin nora...why did i do a radius

20190112-172034.jpg

I have done a few more small jobs like faff with the engine lid and look for materials for this and that. All boat related stuff is a step ahead. 

Captain Faffer :):)

• Greenie 2

• 4 weeks later...

Wayne,  what an inspiring blog. Started reading it last night and found it hard to stop. You've  done some beautiful work and have brought this boat so far, it's  amazing. I found your story while looking for info on a dawncraft and have to tell you, I'll  be going back over this blog for help when I'm  doing up my boat. Thank you and keep going, John

• Greenie 1

5 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

So come on what is the progress with this hood?

You seen the  weather. that cold the dam tape wont stick to make the patterns. I got the pattern for the top section near done then it started to bloody rain. In the end i give up as i was just wasting good time so got on with the inside sanding it all back good ready for lining out. I started the varnishing inside but i made a mess of it and is full of runs so that will be sanded back here and there. Next time i will roll and sponge the varnish on to give a thinner coat, will need a few more coats but better than faffing sanding it back.

Gutted as i had a week of to get some work done on the canopy but still time. Its more cash flow now thats going to hold me back to get it launched as a few things have come up. always something. Still i am sure it will ready for the 18th May 2019. Not 100% done but enough. 

Oh yes steering is near all set up, new cables etc.  Just looking for some stainless steel plate for the outboard mount.

Captain Faffer :)

• Greenie 2

Ours has been out of the water for a month now and we have done the sum total of very little on it!

Cleaned the inside of the canopy and that is it. 

On the plus side good progress is being made on jobs on the house. Current thinking is we might extend the period ashore another month or two until we get more work done at home.

• Greenie 1

16 hours ago, W+T said:

I started the varnishing inside but i made a mess of it and is full of runs so that will be sanded back here and there. Next time i will roll and sponge the varnish on to give a thinner coat, will need a few more coats but better than faffing sanding it back

If I remember cores you you are using Le Tonkinous varnish.

If so try using sponge brushes. I found they virtually eliminated runs when I used them with Le Tonk on the exterior woodwork of my deckboard.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, cuthound said:

If so try using sponge brushes. I found they virtually eliminated runs when I used them with Le Tonk on the exterior woodwork of my deckboard.

I use sponge brushes exclusively with Le Tonk 

• Greenie 1

Congratulations on your work so far. You are a braver man than me!

I had a fibreglass cruiser and now a steel NB.

One of the reasons I gave up on the cruiser was I kept hitting the prop on either the bottom of the canal,or some rubbish. (outboard powered)

Outboards need about 3ft of water which is not always guaranteed so now you are getting close to using your boat,may I pass on a tip.

Two types of lifting the outboard, 1,fixed in the down position with a lever to release the mechanism allowing the engine to swing up.

2,Hanging loose but with a pin that engages the locking mechanism when reverse is selected. (this is also known as "shallow water drive")

The second is best for canal use as it allows the engine to swing up when it hits an obstruction.

If your motor is of the first type then it is best to rig up a cable to operate the release mechanism,not forgetting to unrelease it when you need reverse,not like me entering a lock,forgetting about the release giving the motor a burst of reverse engine rising up,

me rapidly shutting the throttle and the engine coming down with a hell of a bang!

If you know about this already,then just ignore this post.

• Greenie 1

22 hours ago, W+T said:

You seen the  weather. that cold the dam tape wont stick to make the patterns. I got the pattern for the top section near done then it started to bloody rain. In the end i give up as i was just wasting good time so got on with the inside sanding it all back good ready for lining out. I started the varnishing inside but i made a mess of it and is full of runs so that will be sanded back here and there. Next time i will roll and sponge the varnish on to give a thinner coat, will need a few more coats but better than faffing sanding it back.

Gutted as i had a week of to get some work done on the canopy but still time. Its more cash flow now thats going to hold me back to get it launched as a few things have come up. always something. Still i am sure it will ready for the 18th May 2019. Not 100% done but enough. 

Oh yes steering is near all set up, new cables etc.  Just looking for some stainless steel plate for the outboard mount.

Captain Faffer :)

19 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Ours has been out of the water for a month now and we have done the sum total of very little on it!

Cleaned the inside of the canopy and that is it. 

On the plus side good progress is being made on jobs on the house. Current thinking is we might extend the period ashore another month or two until we get more work done at home.

Just not the weather is it Rach to faff with boats. Be nice ti sit and chill for a change on it though. Soon will be though. And houses OMG this money pit is wors than the boat lol. Just ordered new windows and doors and planning the drive now, Going for Asphalt with red edging and block path. Gong to do the path myself as should of had the operation by then. Elbows are real bad now :(.   

5 hours ago, cuthound said:

3 hours ago, WotEver said:

I use sponge brushes exclusively with Le Tonk 

Come on you two, i thought you read this blog see above ;)

Hope to get it finished this week and going to get the gear in . No rush this time ;) 

2 hours ago, Mad Harold said:

One of the reasons I gave up on the cruiser was I kept hitting the prop on either the bottom of the canal,or some rubbish. (outboard powered)

Outboards need about 3ft of water which is not always guaranteed so now you are getting close to using your boat,may I pass on a tip.

Two types of lifting the outboard, 1,fixed in the down position with a lever to release the mechanism allowing the engine to swing up.

2,Hanging loose but with a pin that engages the locking mechanism when reverse is selected. (this is also known as "shallow water drive")

The second is best for canal use as it allows the engine to swing up when it hits an obstruction.

If your motor is of the first type then it is best to rig up a cable to operate the release mechanism,not forgetting to unrelease it when you need reverse,not like me entering a lock,forgetting about the release giving the motor a burst of reverse engine rising up,

me rapidly shutting the throttle and the engine coming down with a hell of a bang!

Thanks for the reply kida.

I actually knew about the engine set up as i did exactly the same as you when i first got a boat. It was boxed in and i could`nt fathom why it would not do much in reverse and kept making a banging noise. I did that for about 15 miles to my first lock. What a prat i thought when a narrow boater helped me out. As said it was a long time ago and my first ever boat.

Live and learn. Although all the boats since i have had there has not been any problems really, plenty of things caught up like rope, bags and the best one was what a thing `The L&L canalness monster` maybe. 

Was going down the canal once when i looked behind as i heard something making an odd noise  and surfacing with a swirl of the water now and them about 30 foot behind. I did wonder what the hell it is that is following me, with a few nerves going.

It was a shopping basket with a rope attached and snagged on the skeg. I cant admit what i thought lol 

17 hours ago, Mad Harold said:

Were you using a really big outboard for it to need 3ft draft?

4 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Did we der that as all my cruisers have had around 18 inch draught

So very much same as the outboard leg

Unless it's a dam big cruiser but then wouldn't fit on canals due to  beam .

5 minutes ago, W+T said:

Did we der that as all my cruisers have had around 18 inch draught

So very much same as the outboard leg

Unless it's a dam big cruiser but then wouldn't fit on canals due to  beam .

Yep 18 inches seems a more sensible figure.

We stick the smaller outboard powered cruisers up the inside of the pontoons on the Witham where our 3ft draft boat wouldn't have a prayer of being afloat. They stay afloat though.

3 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

No, it was a Yamaha 9.9 long shaft,as recommended for a Norman 20. This is so that the prop turns in (relatively) undisturbed water. The Norman has a flat transom Drought 14 inches,and there was much disturbed water  behind.

I did cobble up an adjustable outboard mount and lifted the motor up to various depths,but the prop thrust was much reduced and the steering was even worse.  I gave up most reluctantly with the Norman and bought a steel NB.

If I was to buy another fibreglass cruiser,I think I would look seriously at mounting the outboard further aft on a swim type platform.Some of the later Shetlands have this.Mounting the engine thus might get the prop away from the disturbed water from the flat stern,so enabling a shallower prop depth without losing too much thrust.

I did measure the depth from the skeg to the waterline,it was 27 inches.Hence "about" 3ft of water rqd. 

Edited by Mad Harold

• 3 weeks later...

Its been a naff week or so here on and off the boat. Myself had serious toothache and had it ripped out and still suffering a week after. Off a few days last week with it and as it was nice annoyed me as i couldnt concentrate to do work on the boat. Feel a bit better today and back to work this morning :(

What has been done over the last few weeks, well got the engine fitted and working, but i bought remote to short by a foot so waste of £40  , what  a plonker, the steering cable is good as i had to soak it in air tool oil to loosen it up. well fine again.

when i could was a cock up with the canopy patterns.  I first used thick 800grm polythene sheet for the pattern material, as seen on the trailer, for that a it was ok but on the boat, not so good as to stiff so i got some 350grm, good thickness but it stretches to much easily. 

20190221_130818.jpg.c711adb2feebedf5f7ffe55d73245404.jpg

So i have ordered some proper pattern material, Fibretex and all the Lift The Dot fittings. Well think i have . Also some more basting tape as near ran out faffing with it. What else, oh yes and i think i will be getting more zips to remove all the sides so then i can have just the top section inplace if we want. 

Still on the canopy i mentioned that the rear section i wanted to be fixed to a vertical surface, and if you look back it was at around 45 deg. Now it is 90 deg after i laminated inplace the sections i made a few week back.

20190223_151209.jpg.05e0c7638a328917d727f2f6619fe1e8.jpg

Filled the ends with a filler i made from chopped up CSM and poly resin. Just mix the resin as normal and then add the CSM cuttings and mix in, it will show how fast the binder breaks down.

20190223_151105.jpg.ea5e093cb60cc49e43a5901c6d4f560f.jpg

20190223_154343.jpg.0c36604afab01640d41003ae4c5a2bd3.jpg

So just slap it in the hole let set then sand back. In above pic you can see i filled it with expanding foam to get a back to fill to.

20190224_153054.jpg.f3300e328c60de185520524e783e367d.jpg

20190224_153046.jpg.b43cb5a037f13e2cfacb8ef6f9b9f55d.jpg

Now for now that is that untill the Fibretex arrives, tomorrow i hope form what they charge for postage., dam shocking.

One job i just could not decide on was what to do with he hatch opening. This weekend i decided to just try this idea instead of trimming it with hardwood.

One thing i did wrong is forget to wet the inside of the tunnels that i made from polythene and masking tape to help it set, not easy though if i did to get water to stay on polythene. But it worked out just about as in the end i cut a few slashes in the polythene to let air get in. 

I need to trim it more as just did it tonight when i got home to see if it had all set.  few large air pockets but no problem, this is with filling to much and not dampening the `mould`

20190224_130453.jpg.27138f88db7196ddbe8cc394ece4a5ff.jpg

20190224_130949.jpg.abecc6ad6fd2398d760a9a68ceba4ee8.jpg

20190224_132329.jpg.9c322ea950caccaa4a9baa56cd1a4080.jpg

Fill with expanding foam.

not to much as you can see i got carried away.

20190224_133355.jpg.c6cda1a9f21a8d2551981462d7f1e70c.jpg

20190224_133424.jpg.45be3e92948cfa4165657d991992d378.jpg 

Trimmed back a little, need to do a lot more as the hatch bolt need access points and then laminating up.

20190225_172925.jpg.2400da4f9c8104dfa6e953f03a755991.jpg

So plan is to get the canopy made and get the boat sanded :( and painted is the priority along with fitting the linings and upholstery.  

If all that is done with a few other little bits like outboard mount and this and that it will be launched May 18th..............dont hold your breath.

Captain Faffer :):)

20190225_172949.jpg

Edited by W+T
  • Greenie 3

Where ever the end is its over thur init :):)

Thanks guys, if its a month late or soi am not bothered as it will be launched this summer. Got mooring and company to drop it in so thats all planned. :)

• Greenie 3

Must be the month for having teeth pulled. 

Having one of my molars ripped out on Thursday afternoon!

Well what is left of it anyway. It has cracked and a large part has fallen off due to pressure from the adjacent tooth and the adjacent wisdom tooth pushing on it. :blink:

57 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Must be the month for having teeth pulled. 

Having one of my molars ripped out on Thursday afternoon!

Well what is left of it anyway. It has cracked and a large part has fallen off due to pressure from the adjacent tooth and the adjacent wisdom tooth pushing on it. :blink:

I’ve now been referred to Maxiofacial by my dentist after he’s tried and failed (five visits including stitches) to get a hole in my gum to heal properly following a failed root canal procedure.  

• Horror 1

I had emergency dentist, cheap at £21 but hell i was/am in agony. get what you pay for i guess lol. Took him over 20mins to get the dam thing out.  Had to chip away at it in the end. I can say i am proper soft git when it comes to dentist. pain was that bad though i went on my own.........in the room :).  

13 hours ago, WotEver said:

I think that counts for most of us. Me for sure. 

And me.

13 hours ago, W+T said:

I had emergency dentist, cheap at £21 but hell i was/am in agony. get what you pay for i guess lol. Took him over 20mins to get the dam thing out.  Had to chip away at it in the end. I can say i am proper soft git when it comes to dentist. pain was that bad though i went on my own.........in the room :).  

Must admit I am not looking forward to having fingers and tools prodded around in my mouth tomorrow afternoon. He has booked it as a 45 minute appointment which I hope he is going to shorten down considerably! 

30 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

And me.

Must admit I am not looking forward to having fingers and tools prodded around in my mouth tomorrow afternoon. He has booked it as a 45 minute appointment which I hope he is going to shorten down considerably! 

My second to last appointment was over an hour!  I hated it. The last appt was much shorter when he gave up and referred me...

My dentist,  Dr Mohammed Gulfraz is brilliant, got me over lifetime dentistphobia [when I was a kiddie I got whacked by my dentist,  ah those were the days!], I've even had a tooth out ?‍♀️. There was so much knockout I had to have a few minutes to "get over it". Previous extraction was cocaine, I recall proposing to a pal who was in need of a friend, that's all I recall!