The Ribble Link

MarkHez

Featured Posts

21 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

The technique is simple: heaviest boat in the lock first, lightest boat out of the lock first.

When in the lock position the GRP boat along the centre of the narrow boat so you don't get leverage causing a nutcracker effect.  

There's a lot of rubbish talked by people on either steel or GRP boats about sharing locks, but if you follow the above two rules you'll be fine.  You will probably have to explain the concept to nearly every boat you share a lock with though!

Sorry, this doesn't work with a short fiberglass boat and a long metal boat, I will never share a double lock with a long metal boat again. I'm not happy playing the role of a fender

1 hour ago, rasputin said:

Sorry, this doesn't work with a short fiberglass boat and a long metal boat, I will never share a double lock with a long metal boat again. I'm not happy playing the role of a fender

Did you follow the two rules?

The advanced lesson describes which order to do the paddles in if you're trying to cycle the lock fast.

I've never done it with a steel boat longer than 70' and a GRP boat shorter than 20', so what sizes make it difficult?

32 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Did you follow the two rules?

The advanced lesson describes which order to do the paddles in if you're trying to cycle the lock fast.

I've never done it with a steel boat longer than 70' and a GRP boat shorter than 20', so what sizes make it difficult?

Yes, that is the order we went into and out of the locks. The problem isn't being hit on entry but by being crushed when the lock is filling, no matter how slow we filled it. It is not an experience I want to try again as an experiment, the crshing and cracking noises are something I don't want to hear again

5 hours ago, rasputin said:

Yes, that is the order we went into and out of the locks. The problem isn't being hit on entry but by being crushed when the lock is filling, no matter how slow we filled it. It is not an experience I want to try again as an experiment, the crshing and cracking noises are something I don't want to hear again

I suppose it depends on the lock, somewhere like Hatton I could guarantee my boat would be stuck to the wall, coming up from Chester is another story 

6 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I suppose it depends on the lock, somewhere like Hatton I could guarantee my boat would be stuck to the wall, coming up from Chester is another story 

You can only guarantee sticking to the wall if you work the paddles correctly.  Which of the Chester locks caused a problem for you, because the only one that I slapped a boat around in they deserved it *** cough Foxes Afloat  cough ***

Edited by TheBiscuits
spellink

15 minutes ago, Tom766 said:

If you share a lock you can't predict how the other captain is going to operate the paddles. 

Think I'll sit back n wait till I can plane my yoghurt pot into the lock alone 😜

Probably the most sensible course to take.  😃