What hazards & dangers Rugby -> Stoke-on-Trent -> Marple -> Huddersfield?

Emerald Fox

Featured Posts

Certainly every Tyler Wilson has that. The later ones have a bush rather than a bearing at the top.

Cue another witty reply from Mr Owen ;)

I noticed the grass by the car park (on the Youtube video) and thought that would be a good spot to sleep in the tent as we'll have visitors sleeping in the boat that night - but then I thought - boaters' dog poo! Perhaps we can erect the tent on the roof of our boat and ropes round us so we don't roll off.

Thanks, yes, I've seen this document. We fail on the 6 foot 10, the big unknown is that because we only exceed 6 10 over one end of the boat could we get through and more importantly would CaRT let us through? and could we get through the locks?.

I probably need to talk to CaRT but suspect they will just say no, I am aware that somebody at CaRT has been telling 60 foot boats that they can't go to Liverpool so they appear to be a bit pessimistic on their dimensions.

.............Dave

Thanks, yes, I've seen this document. We fail on the 6 foot 10, the big unknown is that because we only exceed 6 10 over one end of the boat could we get through and more importantly would CaRT let us through? and could we get through the locks?.

I probably need to talk to CaRT but suspect they will just say no, I am aware that somebody at CaRT has been telling 60 foot boats that they can't go to Liverpool so they appear to be a bit pessimistic on their dimensions.

.............Dave

Strewth, the locks are over 70' long frusty.gif

.............Dave

Fulbourne, at 71 ft 6 ins long, has been to Salthouse Dock (via the L&L). Other full length boats have done the round trip including the Mersey crossing.

The trouble on the Huddersfield is that the pinch points in the locks are at various points along their lengths, so a full length boat hits them all at the same time and can't bend, whilst a shorter boat will catch them one at a time and get through. I remember going up there a few years ago with the Carters on George and it was a bit tight but they got to the tunnel only to be told that George's hull was too high at the front for the tunnel. They did get as far as the bottom of the Diggle flight though.

Cue another witty reply from Mr Owen wink.png

I noticed the grass by the car park (on the Youtube video) and thought that would be a good spot to sleep in the tent as we'll have visitors sleeping in the boat that night - but then I thought - boaters' dog poo! Perhaps we can erect the tent on the roof of our boat and ropes round us so we don't roll off.

Ok,if you are talking about the car park at All Oaks Wood, I'll put it more bluntly!

Unless things have changed it is a favoured spot with those involved in the other kind of "dogging"!

I certainly wouldn't erect a tent near there, unless that is your thing!

last time we did the Marple flight the boat got hung up on protruding brickwork in two locks going downhill - cant remember which ones but others had same problem going both up and down. Huddersfield narrow, difficult to get to edge at the lock landings because of silt and no dredging (at the time, may have changed now) so we landed at the tail/ head instead. Grounded in the little tunnel just west of Hudd but that's been opened out so it may be deeper now. Pennine crossings well worth it, go for it.