Selling boat to your mum!

yellow_miguel

Featured Posts

Morning Boaters,

I landed up in bit of a situation, CART halved my license, even though I've been moving quite a bit. I wasn't really overstaying (I overstayed couple of days, few times but nothing major). So I was thinking about "selling" the boat to my mum to get the enforcement of my back. My question is will CART hold the past records of the boat movement against the new owner?

Thanks

Mig

They are on the ground in London and will have useful advice for you. The NBTA or ACC might be able to help too (National Bargee Travellers Association and Association of Continuous Cruisers)

Richard

There seems to be some ambiguity at the moment, with the new T&Cs coming in, whether you can still currently transfer a licence to a new owner.

However, were you to do this, then when it next comes up for renewal, surely CRT will apply the same tests as to whether they think guidelines have been adhered to, whether it is you, or your mum, that owns the boat.

Either way, I would have thought that if you have by then improved your movement pattern, that they would then consider issuing a full licence, but if you have not, they may insist on again only issuing a "short" licence, (or indeed revoking it).

If on the other hand you "cash in" current licence, and your mum can acquire a new one, she will still need to make a "no home mooring" declaration, so when that licence comes up for renewal a year later, they will probably apply the same tests about adequate movement,

Edited by alan_fincher

There seems to be some ambiguity at the moment, with the new T&Cs coming in, whether you can still currently transfer a licence to a new owner.

However, were you to do this, then when it next comes up for renewal, surely CRT will apply the same tests as to whether they think guidelines have been adhered to, whether it is you, or your mum, that owns the boat.

Either way, I would have thought that if you have by then improved your movement pattern, that they would then consider issuing a full licence, but if you have not, they may insist on again only issuing a "short" licence, (or indeed revoking it).

If on the other hand you "cash in" current licence, and your mum can acquire a new one, she will still need to make a "no home mooring" declaration, so when that licence comes up for renewal a year later, they will probably apply the same tests about adequate movement,

Interesting. Probably worth mentioning that I also had a winter mooring for 4 months, but I was moving quite a bit before/after. I thought CART would cut winter moorers some slack in terms of moving since we pay extra to stay in one place.

Interesting. Probably worth mentioning that I also had a winter mooring for 4 months, but I was moving quite a bit before/after. I thought CART would cut winter moorers some slack in terms of moving since we pay extra to stay in one place.

Yes, while you have the winter mooring. Why should it continue after that?

Yes, while you have the winter mooring. Why should it continue after that?

Well, because I stayed put for 4 months so technically it's going to be harder to cover as much distance as someone that was cc for 12 months instead of 8 or 7?

Edited by yellow_miguel

So how much detail have CRT given you on why they are not prepared to reissue a 12 month licence?

I'm no expert, but would not expect your lack of movement in any of those 4 months to be an issue, so presumably it is down to what you have, or have not, managed at other times?

I think the advice from Richard to talk to those groups that have experience of this kind of thing is good advice, although I do think you need to be careful of any that simply insist CRT is always in the wrong! At the end of the day, I'm sure you would prefer to get some stability, and the best possible outcome, rather than putting yourself firmly in the firing line as a challenge to see what CRT throws at you next?

Well, because I stayed put for 4 months so technically it's going to be harder to cover as much distance as someone that was cc for 12 months instead of 8 or 7?

Hehe no does not work like that. IMO if you cruised in a say 30 mile range then you should be able to do that over 7 months just as easy as over 12 months not sure if I buy into the "harder" part of your statement

Thanks John and Allan. Regarding winter mooring I thought it was bit of unwritten rule, in the end I forked out more on wm than on my license last year but I suppose I will think twice before I get it again.

If the only way reason you bought a Winter mooring was that you thought it changed to conditions for boaters without a home mooring for 12 months, then I would suggest you do not buy one again. It cheng es the conditions just for the period of the mooring

If the only way reason you bought a Winter mooring was that you thought it changed to conditions for boaters without a home mooring for 12 months, then I would suggest you do not buy one again. It cheng es the conditions just for the period of the mooring

John,

At one stage I thought I recalled a statement that said that if anybody was currently in enforcement and then took a winter mooring, that would "reset their record", but perhaps I either imagined that, or it was a suggestion that never got incorporated.

So what is the situation? If somebody is "on the radar" but then takes a Winter mooring for (say) 4 months, and abides by the T&Cs for that, what is their status when the term of that mooring ends.

Do past transgressions still count in their cruising record, or will CRT only look at what they do once they don't have that mooring.

John,

At one stage I thought I recalled a statement that said that if anybody was currently in enforcement and then took a winter mooring, that would "reset their record", but perhaps I either imagined that, or it was a suggestion that never got incorporated.

So what is the situation? If somebody is "on the radar" but then takes a Winter mooring for (say) 4 months, and abides by the T&Cs for that, what is their status when the term of that mooring ends.

Do past transgressions still count in their cruising record, or will CRT only look at what they do once they don't have that mooring.

I wouldn't think it would "reset" your previous records but I thought it was sort of "unwritten" rule that CRT were looking "lighter" at CC'ers that took WM.

John,

It is the other way round if you are under enforcement you only qualify for winter mooring at the discretion of CRT remember the trouble I had getting a winter mooring when they reckoned I had been logged 13 times in the same place. As far as I am aware there is no way of resetting the clock except by being a good ccer for a few years

I wouldn't think it would "reset" your previous records but I thought it was sort of "unwritten" rule that CRT were looking "lighter" at CC'ers that took WM.

Not correct just a mith winter mooring is not tied to enforcement

How about getting a mooring in some godforsaken place (really cheap one, up north for example) and carrying on cruising? Would that work?

Implying the north is a god forsaken place is not going to endear me to you. Another slight mith is that moorings up north are cheap. Why don't you just do some cruising if you are looking for ways to get round the law please do not expect me to help you

You could have done 5 miles for the time you have spent on here

• Greenie 2

Implying the north is a god forsaken place is not going to endear me to you. Another slight mith is that moorings up north are cheap. Why don't you just do some cruising if you are looking for ways to get round the law please do not expect me to help you

Sorry I didn't mean to offence anyone, I was just thinking remote=cheap and somehow I thought that north is cheap. So no one is actually doing it?