cheapest wide beam shell with engine

Featured Posts

something like this Gary ??

SSA40384.jpg

Normally they would be sniped and welded directly to the side sheet or to the vertical side frame it sounds like these are spot on, the concern is if they are not attached at the ends but simply cut short in which case they only serve to support the floor and the full base plate would become one large panel at which point you can probably forget about any compliance.

There is one of those rules in fabrication design whether it is a hull or a box section bridge support. You must never weld right into the inside corner when fitting a web or frame. There is a danger of creating a stress point in that the thermal expansion or contraction of one component can impose massive forces on the assembly.

Edited by John Orentas

something like this Gary ??

SSA40384.jpg

That's it exactly! Now that boat is built the way I (Not from that flavour of engineering background.) would do it myself with a centreline girder it looks to be strong and make sense. But when a marine architect sees it he tells you that in reality it adds very little strength without it's geometry is relatively large and increased proportionally to the craft Length. On a double chined vessel where draft and air draft aren't a consideration this would make for a very stiff boat. But on a flat bottom boat this girder will normally only be of a maximum section allowed by the transverse section which bisect it.

The idiot guide does go into this a bit.

Well thanks for all your replies

I'm looking for a boat to use as a restaurant and only on the Grand Union and Thames from Paddington to Brentford and Brentford as far as Windsor

so the 14ft beam wouldnt be an issue (correct me if i'm wrong here)

It looks like there may be major structural considerations in building a boat this wide (i only want it to be 55ft long)

and if that pushes the price up significantly then maybe i should look for a narrower beam and slightly longer also I think maximum air draught would have to be under 7ft 6" (no wheelhouse for me)

As far as lines go I really dont care what she looks like externally in fact "shoe box" suits me just fine I have no interest in the boat looking like a tradditional narrowboat merely gaining the largest interior space for the least money

Anyone out there know a builder that can come up with the goods?

I'm looking for a boat to use as a restaurant and only on the Grand Union and Thames from Paddington to Brentford and Brentford as far as Windsor

If you put snails on the starter menu, book me in for opening night (no one ever serves snails anymore).

Might be a bit far North but roger farringdon up here in Braunston is one of the best steel bashers I've seen. He built a Dutch Barge I fitted out once and it was excellent.

It looks like there may be major structural considerations in building a boat this wide (i only want it to be 55ft long)

and if that pushes the price up significantly then maybe i should look for a narrower beam and slightly longer also I think maximum air draught would have to be under 7ft 6" (no wheelhouse for me)

As far as lines go I really dont care what she looks like externally in fact "shoe box" suits me just fine I have no interest in the boat looking like a tradditional narrowboat merely gaining the largest interior space for the least money

Although 14' beam won't be an issue as far as locks, bridges, etc. don't imagine that width won't be an isue at all. You will come across stretches of canal with boats moored on both sides and then another boat comes in the opposite direction for example.

If you want to see what 12' beam looks like internally you're welcome to visit me. Personally I would recommend 60' x 12' for what you want and Liverpool Boats will be hard to beat on price.

PS) Also, although you might not care what the boat looks like externally, perhaps any potential customers would?

Edited by blackrose

If you want to see what 12' beam looks like internally you're welcome to visit me. Personally I would recommend 60' x 12' for what you want and Liverpool Boats will be hard to beat on price.

Good point. Roger Farringdon certainly won't be the cheapest about and if you're starting up a business...

Interesting, I live in this area.

Slightly :rolleyes: but have you done the calculations to satisfy yourself that this proposition is likely to make decent money, having regard to the costs involved of setting it up and running it, plus all the hassle and work required? The restaurant business is one of the toughest around.

regards

Steve

Edited by anhar

Well aged 26 I set up my first restaurant with £10k and broke even within the first two months

I have done the calculations and I'm no stramger to fitting out boats and restaurants

I agree the restaurant business is tough (for some people playing roulette would be a safer bet) however with a sound plan,the right skills and a tight budget it is posible to do something spectacular without risking a fortune

Interesting, I live in this area.

Slightly :rolleyes: but have you done the calculations to satisfy yourself that this proposition is likely to make decent money, having regard to the costs involved of setting it up and running it, plus all the hassle and work required? The restaurant business is one of the toughest around.

regards

Steve

Well aged 26 I set up my first restaurant with £10k and broke even within the first two months

I have done the calculations and I'm no stramger to fitting out boats and restaurants

I agree the restaurant business is tough (for some people playing roulette would be a safer bet) however with a sound plan,the right skills and a tight budget it is posible to do something spectacular without risking a fortune

What sort of licence does BW require/issue for this sort of business? I just wondered as you might be carrying more than 12 passengers so there would be insurance implications too.

Edited by blackrose

Having been involved with this kind of thing nobody has spotted the obvious complication the boat is going to be commercial rather than recreational that means it falls under different rules that are subject to inspection this does make life a lot more complex and quite a bit more expensive.

That's it exactly! Now that boat is built the way I (Not from that flavour of engineering background.) would do it myself with a centreline girder it looks to be strong and make sense. But when a marine architect sees it he tells you that in reality it adds very little strength without it's geometry is relatively large and increased proportionally to the craft Length. On a double chined vessel where draft and air draft aren't a consideration this would make for a very stiff boat. But on a flat bottom boat this girder will normally only be of a maximum section allowed by the transverse section which bisect it.

The idiot guide does go into this a bit.

Gary,

So so are you saying the bracing in the photo looks ok but the girder isn't doing as much good as someone might initially think, or are you saying this is not the correct way to brace a widebeam ? Woul appreciate a little clarification on this if you can please.

Rgds

Les

Gary,

So so are you saying the bracing in the photo looks ok but the girder isn't doing as much good as someone might initially think, or are you saying this is not the correct way to brace a widebeam ? Woul appreciate a little clarification on this if you can please.

Rgds

Les

You could loose the centre girder and providing the base plate is of sufficient thickness plus the geometry and spacing of the transverse frames is sufficient it would quite equally pass the calculations and be a much simpler build.

Basically although that method of construction looks very strong the centre girder isn't doing a lot structurally but the extra work involved in using it will have to be paid for by someone.

Edited by Gary Peacock

There is a feature HERE with a bit of background on the scantling ISO if you take time to read it you might spot a bit of a loophole contained in the ISO that boat builders could choose to use perfectly legally to simplify the process.

Everybody at a meeting I was at picked up on this but the "Experts" were less than convinced that it would be that easy to use if it came to it!

I think if you were careful you could get away with it.

• 3 months later...

I just discovered that my LB 12' widebeam does indeed have lengthways bracing between the crossmembers at about 1/3 & 2/3 across the beam. It looks like they used 3" angle welded between the cross members down the entire length on both sides. I'm pleasantly surprised (even though Gary says lengthways bracing doesn't do anything!)

Edited by blackrose

Firstly , just like to wish you the best of luck with your new venture ...

My best advice would be to go and visit someone who has already done it , i.e. set up a floating restaurant based on a widebeam boat , i am sure if they were off your patch they would be more than happy to let you have a good look at their setup , boat size , construction ect and fill you in on all the legalities of a new shell build and give you a clear idea of any hidden costs regarding insurances etc.

Rick

The best man to ask is the one thats made the mistakes and survived to tell the tale!!!!