Inverter advice. What is the least I would need.

Featured Posts

Hi ya'll

well, I am now looking at putting my Alfie back to a useable condition. That means I would like some advice on electrics and hot water. I will need to run my 3-5 cubic foot fridge and TV with the odd burst of a coffee machine. Maybe my washing machine too when I could possibly turn everything else off to make it viable. Also since my Alfie took a turn for the worse, I have had very little signs of hot water, and not quite understanding the Calorifier need to know why it too has given up the ghost. Also my shower was running on 240v so is it feasable to have a decent 12v power shower installed or should I rely on the inverter for that as well.

Also my shower was running on 240v so is it feasable to have a decent 12v power shower installed or should I rely on the inverter for that as well.

If not tied to a land line, it makes far more sense to heat water with your engine, (so calorifier), if moving, or with diesel or gas (or possibly solid fuel) if not.

For gas, you don't have to heat a tank of water with a boiler, necessarily,ytou can use an instantaneous heater like a Morco / Rinnai / Paloma, that only heats the water as you use it.

Trying to generate large amounts of electrical power from engine alternator or a stand alone generator makes no sense if you then turn it back into heat to make hot water - very inefficient.

All the above assumes cruising, (i.e. not on landline). If you have a mooring with shore power, it may instead be possible to heat water directly with an immersion heater in a calorifier.

Hi Terry,

I'll let the folks who are in the know about invertors/charges & electricity and such give proper advice about these things; but I would recommend anyone who is living on their boat (with the home comforts of fridge/freezer/TV/coffee makers/bread makers/washing machines/hoovers etc etc) to really give some thought to the benefits of fitting solar if you don't already have some.

We used to have to run our engine anywhere from 3 - 5 hours a day, after hooking up our solar we now run it for 1/2 hour - 45 minutes and in the summer won't have to run it at all. (we still do run the engine when doing a load of washing) but Dave is monitoring things and we may be in a position to even be able to do that without running the engine in the summer.

Just so this makes sense, we constant cruise and do not use any shore power

Dump the coffee maker and boil a kettle on the gas & get rid of any other power hungry stuff.. You really can't have this amount of land based domestic appliances on a narrowboat unless you have a massive generator to run it all.

Dump the coffee maker and boil a kettle on the gas & get rid of any other power hungry stuff.. You really can't have this amount of land based domestic appliances on a narrowboat unless you have a massive generator to run it all.

We do, without any problems or generator

I would find out why your calorifier is no longer working. It is probably something simple like an air lock.

As others have said, it makes much more sense to use the engine and gas or diesel heaters (or even a stove with back boiler) to heat water than electric.

I have a 1kW immersion heater to supplement the engine in heating the calorifier, but is really is of use when connected to shore power.

Anyway we wish you the best of luck in getting Alfie back into fine fettle ASAP. You deserve a bit of good luck to compensate for the recent bad luck you have had.

• 2 months later...

Hi guys,

just thought I would make an appearance to update you on Alfie. I've decided to fit a 400Watt Solar system with a MPPT controller, that should look after my electrickery. Based of course on your expert help have ditched the coffee machine and washing machine, replaced with Costa at the local garage and the local Landerette in Ware. Great so far. My water heating via the calorifier was indeed an air lock, sorted. But now I dont need to run the engine at all ( at this time of year )

So am now looking to have a Morco/Paloma type fitted to supply hot water. I dont have a back boiler so am guessing this has to be the best way forward, (discuss)

Also I would like to watch a bit of TV sometimes and was wondering (read window shopping) for a 12v TV with DVD FreeView as big as they come, at least a high +20" any reccomendations.

As for my life aboard Alfie, things are going swimmingly (pun intended)clapping.gif but being warm with the nice sunny days is easy, I will adjust as nec my need for heat later.

I love being on the boat, but do wish I had a cruiser deck to really make the most of things. Once I have really settled in and found a suitable storage for my pedal bike, maybe my cratch could offer more sit down space later.

On a more serious note, I have had my fill of the local marina, who have pi**ed me off by ripping me off. So need to find a decent reliable Marine Engineer local to Hertford. Any help would be rewarded with a greenie. Of Course.

Happy days to you all.

Duplicate post on two old threads, best to start a new thread if the subject is different.

Apart from that it`s really good that after your bad start you are still afloat and enjoying it.

Best of luck in your latest information search.

PS not sure why you ditched the washing machine. plenty of us have a machine on board.