I need more space - Extension...maybe?

Featured Posts

Hi

I'm currently considering selling my existing 45ft cruiser narrow - investing in a new sailaway or a completed used boat or just getting an extension

My boat would probs be worth about 24k

I have about 5k saved up but would consider a loan if needed

I need more space - an extra bedroom and more living and storage space - A significant change of circumstances - so I really do need to find a way

Does anyone have any insights? Gone through the same thought process and decided on a particular option....

Maybe a recommendation for a boat builder that was really good, not misleading and extended their boat at a great price

Thanks!

Martin

Since Harry the Stretcher in Nuneaton retired, the predominant boat-extenders are probably Streethay Wharf.

I suspect, though, that buying a longer boat will be far more economical than having your current boat stretched.

The only firm that I can speak of is from my own personal experience of having a new hull built . Nick Thorpe was entirely a good experience. He did it all as per his quote and on time, and he was doing a stretch back at the end of last year. So certainly worth considering him. email is enquiries@nickthorpeboatbuilding.com . Mick

Since Harry the Stretcher in Nuneaton retired, the predominant boat-extenders are probably Streethay Wharf.

I suspect, though, that buying a longer boat will be far more economical than having your current boat stretched.

Harry sadly passed away several months ago. He was a lovely guy and great boat builder. He also used to work at Langley Mill prior to Nuneaton and helped with the restoration of the Large Woolwich "Banstead" which subsequently went on to win the HNBC Hemelryk award. 555 a foot sounds good and the examples of Kedian's work I would think would be worth following up.

Regards,

Dan

Buying a new boat and fitting it out will take a year or two or more, your 'significant change of circumstances' might be fed up with the whole thing by then, stretching your existing boat could be a good deal quicker and cost less.

With the 5k the op has saved he could put an extra 9 ft on his existing boat. I would imagine that would be easier and less stressful than refitting a new sailaway and also considerably less expensive.

Hi Martin, we were in you shoes a few years ago and went with the stretch. It could have been a fairly easy job, but with one thing and another it turned into a monster of a job. I still wouldn't have done it any other way, but we like a challenge. I wrote a blog of the process, but it's not totally up to date yet.

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=64266&page=1