Safe moorings near Ducie Street Junction

Featured Posts

We're on the Macclesfield at the moment, planning the Ashton flight, which we've done before, followed by the Rochdale northwards just after Easter.

It'll be a bit much for one day, so are there any good safe moorings at or near Ducie Street junction?

Don't mind paying for a night.

Once on the Rochdale, when does bandit country end?

I spent a very peaceful night in Piccadilly basin. It says private but you can moor in there for 24 hours I think..... If you ask nicely one of the residents of the houses will give you the gate code.

There are some secure moorings just outside the basin as well.

Cheers

Gareth

Hi,

we've passed you on the Macc this weekend.

We have moored just by the little arm on the towpath side just before bridge 2 on the Ashton. The security guard from the adjacent building came & said hello & said he would keep an eye on the boat on the CCTV if we wished.

There's a good proper pub the Jolly Angler just round the corner too ;-).

Enjoy the Rochdale, it's a wonderful cut.

Before you tackle the Rochdale, pop into New Islington Marina..(2 locks up the Rochdale from Ducie street. )..it's too early in the year for there to be any real problems at New Islington, and you can get water/showers/washing machines/ elsan/pumpout/toilets and you can walk the dog if you have one. It makes for a great launch site for the Rochdale and is nice and quiet at the moment. Go two locks up from Ducie street and you'll see it. Ducie street can get a little noisy at night when people sit on the benches "gathering".

We have moored to the staging underneath the office across from the Rochdale Canal office/car park .Mooring on the towpath side might be O.K.,otherwhise New Islington Marina .The mooring outside the Rose of Lancaster is a bit shallow .Round the corner by the Irk Aqueduct is a bit better.

Thanks everyone.

Yes, Alton we remember you passing. That little arm looks good. We spotted it last year and wondered if it was a goer. And thanks frangar too.

The Jolly Anglers is our goal. Popped in a couple of years back and loved it.

Thanks Dave Mack. That's about where we thought civilisation might resurface!

New Islington sounds like a good service stop too. Might not be letting the cats out though!

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Edited by Bide Your Time

• 2 weeks later...

We came down the Ashton yesterday, and decided on the New Islington visitor moorings.

Reassuring to see PCSOs patrolling past the boat, and a very quiet overnight mooring.

We went around d to the Jolly Angler and found it in fine fettle last night.

Today we'll check out the laundry before tackling the Rochdale tomorrow.

Thanks for all the input.

Hello Brian

Well, we set off on the Rochdale this morning and found it an entertaining challenge. Plenty of water, so no grounding problems initially.

The problem is that this cut is really the council tip for the locals. Spent more Time in the weed hatch than at the tiller.

Got to Failsworth and when presented with a near empty long pound decided to give the sad little ditch a miss.

We know it's going to be lovely further up but have a deadline to meet for the Liverpool link.

Next time up north we'll attack it from the other end.

Didn't meet Dean but there are a few fat boats there now.

An experience anyway.

Really sorry to see that you didn't make it up the Rochdale. It's one of the toughest days boating on the cut, but once your up above Littleborough etc it is actually worth it.

The link into Liverpool is slightly less rubbish filled, but not much (the joys of an urban canal). Once in the docks it's fabulous though. Enjoy your trip :-)

Cheers, Brian

I'm presently making my way up the Rochdale from the Eastern end (well not at this moment - just now I'm sitting tight in freezing rain above Gauxholme Locks).

Despite mooring below Lock 1 for the past ten years, I've never before been further than Littleborough (although I've twice been into Manchester via the Ashton). But this time I have every intention of going down the other side.

But not as a lone singlehander. Recently here there was mentioned that there was now a team of volunteers willing to help such as myself down into Manchester. Do I ring CRT to find out when they are available? Indeed. are there any forum members who are members of this group?

Just to add insult to injury, we had to moor in Failsworth after it was clear we'd bet no further. As we were reversing towards the big Tesco across the winding hole, the prop was fouled (again) and the boat made its mind up by winding herself. We grabbed a nearby bollard. The assortment of clothing and plastic took nearly an hour to clear, also had to replace the weedhatch tape too. Reluctantly we decided to stay there. About 8 o'clock some low life youths thought we made a fine target and landed a couple of rocks on your paint work from the other side of the cut. Thoroughly unnerved I stayed up all night

We left at first light and came back to New Islington.

Failsworth. Aptly named for both our defeat, and the local yout

I spent a very peaceful night in Piccadilly basin. It says private but you can moor in there for 24 hours I think..... If you ask nicely one of the residents of the houses will give you the gate code.

There are some secure moorings just outside the basin as well.

Cheers

Gareth

Last time I was there one of the residents order a take out delivery for me and the next day asked if I wanted to fill my water tank from his tap

Volunteer lock keepers on the Rochdale 17
18th July 2014 at 08:00
To Date: until further notice
Type:Advice
Reason:Information
Description:

Canal & River Trust has a number of volunteer lock keepers working on the Rochdale Canal flight of 17, between Lock 65 at Failsworth and Lock 81 at Miles Platting. Although booking is no longer required on the flight, it can be hard work and a number of boaters have requested assistance.

The volunteers are happy to help when they can. Their help is given voluntarily so assistance is not guaranteed, but if you would like help call 0303 040 4040 at least 24 hours before your planned passage (longer if possible) and we will try to arrange this with the volunteers.

The lock keepers have all trained with the Trust and have excellent local knowledge which can really add to your experience of the flight.

Please call us if you want to look into this, the more notice the better.

While assistance cannot be guaranteed the volunteers are committed to helping where they can.

Starts At:
Lock 81 Butler Street
Ends At:
Lock 65 Alfred Street

From the C&RT website.

PS i am a member of said group however I'm currently ill in bed, when do you plan to go down Mac of Cygnet?

When are you coming down Mac? And where you heading? Stan and myself will soon be heading down Bridgewater have been slowed down as Stan has not been very well but should be there towards end April

Yes, should be on the Bridgewater by the end of April. Hope to see you.

Do I detect from the last two posts that I have been confused with the Macclesfield canal? wacko.png