Steel bars over doors. welders fabricators?

Featured Posts

No photos. because we've done away with them, but when we bought the boat it had a steel bar to fit across the rear doors. The bar had a slot towards each end to match two lugs sticking out from the cabin rear. These lugs had holes in to take a hefty padlock at each end.

Likewise, DQ's previous owner specified these front and rear, and used them when leaving the boat for any length of time. I don't use them, unless leaving the boat in a dodgy area. Not sure they are more than a visible deterrent, as most boat break ins seem to be through a towpath side window.

I've got steel doors (without windows) with one of these top and bottom.

Since the doors are already made of steel, what would a loose steel bar give you in terms of security that this arrangement doesn't? I only use the top lock unless I'm leaving the boat somewhere dodgy.

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTMxMTI0LTAwNTIwLmpwZw_zps

Despite the brand name, the Rolson lock seems as good quality as others I've seen, but I've since moved it for the bottom of the doors and put a better brand van lock at the top because that's the one that's mostly used.

Edited by blackrose

Do they not just advertise that a boat is left unattended?

Yes, but if they're heavy duty they also advertise that the boat is going to be difficult to get into so the thief will probably move onto the next boat.

Most boat break-ins are done by opportunists.

My sentiments entirely. I have moored all over the place over the years without problem. One dog is worth twenty steel bars and several padlocks.

Tim

I'd like a dog but unfortunately I can't leave a do on it's own all day while I'm working. That would be cruel.

So dogs are not an option for all of us.

If they can't get in through the doors they will just go in through the window. Easy to do and being toughened glass it doesn't make much noise if you know what you are doing. It is one argument in favour of small portholes, but how secure are your side doors? Most can be got in through silently in ten seconds.

I have portholes and my side doors are secure. But you're right. Most can be broken into quite easily.

If someone wants to break in...they will...and bars make it look more obvious ( as has been said here)

I wonder how often the cafe boat at Little Venice gets broken into? It has bars on the doors.

Personally i am changing my front and rear doors/hatch from wood to steel, just because hasps screwed into wood are just ridiculous!

Exactly. Anyone with a decent heavy screwdriver will jimmy them open.

Yes, we also work on the principle that there isn't anything on board we'd be devastated to lose.

Really? I once met a bloke who had his engine, gearbox and stove nicked!

Despite this, I work on the principal that anyone contemplating breaking into my boat will conclude that it's probably not worth the bother.

Edited by blackrose

I disagree with much of what has been written on this thread.

There are certainly different approaches to boat security. If people want to leave their doors unlocked or have flimsy hasps screwed into wood that's really fine with me. I have no objections. But when your boat is your home and all of your worldly possessions are on it, then I'll make my own decisions and let other people do what they think is right for them.

I don't have much of value apart from the engine, etc, I'd just rather not make it easy for people to get in to take my stuff.

Edited by blackrose

I agree with the previous post. Besides, steel re-inforcement is not that much work at build stage( he says whilst dusting off the grinder)

I'm also considering some flat bar on inside windows to slide over centres when boat is left for a while. That should at least be a deterrent when there are so many boats without this. Depends on your neighbourhood though of course.