Vetus owners.

ROBDEN

Featured Posts

Hi.

Thought that these may be of some help to new owners of Vetus engines.

I have used all these filters on my Vetus 4.17.

OIL FILTERS ENGINE OIL

5W/40 Fully Synthetic

API. SM CF

Vetus STM 0051 For the last 12-18 months I’ve been using

fully synthetic oil, now 450 hours between oil/ filter

Unipart GFE 489 change and it still looks good

Mann W814/80

Halfords HOF 228

Fram PH 6811

Baldwin B 1402

( The other main filter on the Vetus engines is the engine-mounted fuel filter, STM3690 from Vetus, but at a third of the price from Inline Filters is the Baldwin BF1257. But make sure they send you the Baldwin filter, not an equivalent - some equivalents have a plastic drain plug, which is a BSS fail. Thanks to Mac of Cygnet )..

For parts I’ve used “DET Diesel Equipment Trading” http://www.det-mitsubishi.com/en they speak and write perfect English. (like wot we dus).

Many of their parts, even including shipping ( 2-3 days ), they are still a lot cheaper (as much as 50%) than many places here.

Anyone got anything to add?

Rob….

Edited by ROBDEN
  • Greenie 2

For once the forum search facility comes up trumps regarding Vetus spares, filters, etc, with Vetus filters bringing up your own excellent thread from last October.

Catweasel and I have also contributed.

The other main filter on the Vetus engines is the engine-mounted fuel filter, STM3690 from Vetus, but at a third of the price from Inline Filters is the Baldwin BF1257. But make sure they send you the Baldwin filter, not an equivalent - some equivalents have a plastic drain plug, which is a BSS fail.

For once the forum search facility comes up trumps regarding Vetus spares, filters, etc, with Vetus filters bringing up your own excellent thread from last October.

Catweasel and I have also contributed.

The other main filter on the Vetus engines is the engine-mounted fuel filter, STM3690 from Vetus, but at a third of the price from Inline Filters is the Baldwin BF1257. But make sure they send you the Baldwin filter, not an equivalent - some equivalents have a plastic drain plug, which is a BSS fail.

Thanks Mac, forgot all about that one.

I'll edit it in to the OP. cheers.gif

Rob....

Hi.

OIL FILTERS ENGINE OIL

5W/40 Fully Synthetic

API. SM CF

Mann W814/80

Halfords HOF 228

Fram PH 6811

Baldwin B 1402

( The other main filter on the Vetus engines is the engine-mounted fuel filter, STM3690 from Vetus, but at a third of the price from Inline Filters is the Baldwin BF1257. But make sure they send you the Baldwin filter, not an equivalent - some equivalents have a plastic drain plug, which is a BSS fail. Thanks to Mac of Cygnet )..

For parts I’ve used “DET Diesel Equipment Trading” http://www.det-mitsubishi.com/en they speak and write perfect English. (like wot we dus).

Many of their parts, even including shipping ( 2-3 days ), they are still a lot cheaper (as much as 50%) than many places here.

Rob….

Interesting that you are using synthetic. I plan to use semi-synth this season (GTX) in my Vetus. Vetus claim both semi and synth are fine. If I may ask, did you go straight from mineral to fully synth and how many hours on the clock when you changed to synth? Thanks.

ps Baldwin filters are superb. I have used "Blueprint" oil filters too (shogun pinin petrol equivalent I seem to recall.)

Interesting that you are using synthetic. I plan to use semi-synth this season (GTX) in my Vetus. Vetus claim both semi and synth are fine

Where did you find that? Semi- and synthetic are much easier to find. I've been avoiding them for the past 9 years! Using a variety of mineral oils (mostly Wilko).

Interesting that you are using synthetic. I plan to use semi-synth this season (GTX) in my Vetus. Vetus claim both semi and synth are fine. If I may ask, did you go straight from mineral to fully synth and how many hours on the clock when you changed to synth? Thanks.

ps Baldwin filters are superb. I have used "Blueprint" oil filters too (shogun pinin petrol equivalent I seem to recall.)

Hi Cat.

Straight from mineral. Can of engine flush, run for a bit, drain and then put in the synthetic.

Just checked. 7,442 hours on the clock.

I have also found Baldwin filters to be good. In fact, using them now.

Rob....

Hi.

OIL FILTERS ENGINE OIL

5W/40 Fully Synthetic

API. SM CF

Mann W814/80

Halfords HOF 228

Fram PH 6811

Baldwin B 1402

Rob….

In addition to the Mann Hummel W 814/80 you can also use W 811/80 & W/815/80 , the only difference is the length. You can also use Wix WL7107

The Mann Hummel W 811/80 is available for £2.58 from Halfords of all people but only online click & collect.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_1051099_langId_-1_categoryId_165700_epId_501630019

It also fits the Barrus Shire (Yanmar based TNE/TNV series)

Edited by Flyboy

In addition to the Mann Hummel W 814/80 you can also use W 811/80 & W/815 , the only difference is the length. You can also use Wix Wl7107

The Mann Hummel W 811/80 is available for £2.58 from Halfords of all people but only online click & collect.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_1051099_langId_-1_categoryId_165700_epId_501630019

It also fits the Barrus Shire (Yanmar based TNE/TNV series)

Nice one Flyboy.

Rob....

Where did you find that? Semi- and synthetic are much easier to find. I've been avoiding them for the past 9 years! Using a variety of mineral oils (mostly Wilko).

I emailed Vetus a while ago after finding mineral oil is getting a bit thinner on the ground. The answer that i got was that semi and synthetic are fine.

Hi Cat.

Straight from mineral. Can of engine flush, run for a bit, drain and then put in the synthetic.

Just checked. 7,442 hours on the clock.

I have also found Baldwin filters to be good. In fact, using them now.

Rob....

Thanks for the info. Think i will try the semi first as I have a fair bit.

Hi.

OIL FILTERS ENGINE OIL

5W/40 Fully Synthetic

API. SM CF

Mann W814/80

Halfords HOF 228

Fram PH 6811

Baldwin B 1402

Rob….

Thanks Rob very helpfull. I would award you a greenie but don't know how to.

K.

• Greenie 1

• 2 months later...

Can't seem to find it in any post but what is the equivalent Baldwin filter for the Vetus WS-180 which is the first water/fuel filter (not the engine mount one) Or a suitable replacement unit that has the same fittings that uses cheaper filters. Links and part numbers if you have them please. Thanks

Can't seem to find it in any post but what is the equivalent Baldwin filter for the Vetus WS-180 which is the first water/fuel filter (not the engine mount one) Or a suitable replacement unit that has the same fittings that uses cheaper filters. Links and part numbers if you have them please. Thanks

The genuine Vetus filter used to have (probably still does) a second number - KC44/1

KC44 is a Mahle Knecht part number for a filter with a plastic drain plug; and it seems that after a little research that the KC44/1 is the same filter with a metal drain plug.

The Baldwin part number being BF587D.

Steve (Eeyore)

As a factory maintenance engineer for many years I had several oils analysed and tested. The result being that modern oils way out lasted the filters. The concern ought to be aimed at the filters rather than the oil. No matter how good the oil is it won't be much use when the filter fails to do a proper job. In my experience the guide lines for oil changes is based on the life expectancy of the filter. I found that I could double the life of good oil by just changing the filter on alternate changes. This was backed up by having the oil analysed after it had done a double stint.

As a factory maintenance engineer for many years I had several oils analysed and tested. The result being that modern oils way out lasted the filters. The concern ought to be aimed at the filters rather than the oil. No matter how good the oil is it won't be much use when the filter fails to do a proper job. In my experience the guide lines for oil changes is based on the life expectancy of the filter. I found that I could double the life of good oil by just changing the filter on alternate changes. This was backed up by having the oil analysed after it had done a double stint.

That is interesting. I read some years ago that a company had developed a high spec after-market filtration system for diesel engines, and their claim was the same in that the oil was not necessarily spent at the service interval, but a standard filter was. I have never seen the filter they developed, but maybe it did get on the market?

I do know that Baldwin do a longer filter that will fit the Vetus, which presumably has more filter area, and have often wondered if this would extend the oil interval. I feel sure it is still good at the 100 hr Vetus service interval (though Mitsubishi say 200hrs for the base engine). I split the diffference and change it at 150 hrs.

The genuine Vetus filter used to have (probably still does) a second number - KC44/1

KC44 is a Mahle Knecht part number for a filter with a plastic drain plug; and it seems that after a little research that the KC44/1 is the same filter with a metal drain plug.

The Baldwin part number being BF587D.

Steve (Eeyore)

Thanks Steve

As Catweasel said "interesting". How would I go about getting oil analysed and how much is needed?

I'd be interested in seeing a comparison between a minearal oil and a fully synthetic oil, both used for 200 hours.

Rob....

Great advice about the Vetus compatibles. Grebe has a Vetus 2.06 fitted.

The after market filtration system Catweasel mentioned could be 'Kleenoil'. It was offered by Sea Otter as as an option when we had Grebe built. I had experience of them working in HGV maintenance 30 years ago and had one fitted. They are a bypass filter, I went to Sherburn in Elmet to buy some recently and expected to find an agent but no, it was the workshop where they make them, ie finish the castings and make the cartridges.

http://www.kleenoil.co.uk/

Confession time - Grebe had a full oil and filter change last week - the previous change was JULY 2008. OK I've been very ill and the boat was low priority. I've no idea about the oil condition but she never uses a drop. I promise to be a good boy in the future. ps fuel filters were even older but all drained fuel from old units was clean and water free, I have a big Racor primary filter to do the heavy work.

Edited by Grebe

Great advice about the Vetus compatibles. Grebe has a Vetus 2.06 fitted.

The after market filtration system Catweasel mentioned could be 'Kleenoil'. It was offered by Sea Otter as as an option when we had Grebe built. I had experience of them working in HGV maintenance 30 years ago and had one fitted. They are a bypass filter, I went to Sherburn in Elmet to buy some recently and expected to find an agent but no, it was the workshop where they make them, ie finish the castings and make the cartridges.

http://www.kleenoil.co.uk/

Confession time - Grebe had a full oil and filter change last week - the previous change was JULY 2008. OK I've been very ill and the boat was low priority. I've no idea about the oil condition but she never uses a drop. I promise to be a good boy in the future. ps fuel filters were even older but all drained fuel from old units was clean and water free, I have a big Racor primary filter to do the heavy work.

Providing the oil/fuel was not too old, I am sure everything will be fine. I trust your health has improved too.

The name of the filter may wel have been that, and the time scale would be similar at 30 years.