Alternator belt and pulley

SamKingfisher

Featured Posts

Ok, so I'm definitely going for a 5 or 6hp lister CS as my off grid genset. I'm looking at an iveco 110 amp alternator, but need some help finding the v belt that fits the alternator and will fit round a CS flywheel.

I'm going to need a belt that is over 2m long, as the flywheel is I think 160cm in circumference.

I need a belt man!

It's also an option to source a suitable belt, then put a suitable pulley on an alternator.

I run a similar system on my JP….Bearing boys or Fenner Power (who are now called something else that I cant remember) will be able to supply a suitable belt.

Mine is an A cross section if that helps.

edited to add

Perhaps fenner are still fender!

http://www.fptgroup.com/fenner.asp?title=Classic-V-Belt&pageid=2645

Cheers

Gareth

Edited by frangar

If you can give me pulley diameters, distance between shafts and the width if the goove in the pulleys, I can calculate the length and give you the nearest standard belt size.

I will also need the speed you will be running at.

I've been in the business for more years than I care to remember.

Cheers,

T.

Have a look at poly-V belts. they come in various widths and sizes but a 6-rib or 8-rib J section belt will do what you want. The ribbed side of the belt will run happily on a CS flywheel without grooves.

Standard lengths are listed here http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/Belts-Multi+Ribbed+Poly-V+Belts-J+Section+Poly+V+Belts/c4601_4791_4793/index.html Click on show all in the length box and you get ac drop-down list

Poly-V pulleys are easier to make than V or wedge belt pulleys, IMHO.

N

edited to add

Perhaps fenner are still fender!

http://www.fptgroup.com/fenner.asp?title=Classic-V-Belt&pageid=2645

Cheers

Gareth

The shops/trade counters are Eriks, having previously been Wyko for a while. They seem to buy in some stuff, mainly belts and pulleys, from Fenners. Reading that second link, it looks as though they own the Fenners name.

Tim

Edited by Timleech

Ok, so I'm definitely going for a 5 or 6hp lister CS as my off grid genset. I'm looking at an iveco 110 amp alternator, but need some help finding the v belt that fits the alternator and will fit round a CS flywheel.

I'm going to need a belt that is over 2m long, as the flywheel is I think 160cm in circumference.

I need a belt man!

It's also an option to source a suitable belt, then put a suitable pulley on an alternator.

Lots of useful info on this US based forum.

A big alternator will not necessarily cut running time. The charge current is governed by the state of the battery, not by the size of the alternator. Any alternator will charge at full output only until the battery terminal voltage rises to a point where it is sufficient to cut the regulator in. The charge rate then depends on the regulated voltage- usually about 14.6v these days. There are ways to adjust this- see the alternator sense wires thread or a lot of Gibbo, but you won't get it high enough to put a big alternator into full output for much longer, without risking battery damage.

There are a number of detailed explanations of the phenomenon from Tony Brooks and others.

N

Hi Neil. Is that 120 amp at 12 volts though? Otherwise you are looking at 3600w and that might be a bit much for 5 hp. Interested in the alternator contact smile.png

Hi Sam,

It is 12v and am trying the gearing at 1.4 to1 and see what happens.

If you pm me I will give you the chaps details.

Neil.

Update.

It isn't a problem to source this stuff. A 6 groove v belt is 22mm wide, can be had from any motor factors at 2403mm long. Standard alternator belt.

The v belts in the link above are not for an alternator and are too narrow (I found out after buying one)

Alternator pulleys don't have a keyway and are held by friction against the fan and nut. So easy to machine your own for two v belts or even easier a flat belt.