Calorifier on Ebay

RuK

Featured Posts

Hi, I've been looking at this calorifier for sale on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321670257974?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The seller doesn't know anything about calorifiers, and can't tell me if it's single or twin coil. I want a twin coil. It does look to me like it has a second coil on the opposite side capped off with red caps, I can't think what else this would be, but I'm not feeling sure enough to bid.

The cylinder is made by the Stone Boat Company in Newcastle and they do do a 50 ltr twin coil cylinder, as well as a 50 ltr single.So any opinions from those with more experience of calorifiers than I appreciated, do you think this is a twin coil cylinder?

Thanks

Although it looks like a second coil, is it usual to have a twin-coil vertical calorifier where one coil is apparently in the bottom part of the tank, and the other one apparently in the top?

I'm no expert on vertical calorifiers, but am struggling to see that a coil in the top half of the tank has much hope of heating the water in the tank that is below that point?

It looks like a single coil to me. I can't see the red capped fittings you're talking about? Edit: just seen them in the other picture

My calorifer has the fittings for both coils in the same place.

I don't think I'd buy an old calorifer. It could be leaking for all you know.

Edited by blackrose

It looks like a single coil to me. I can't see the red capped fittings you're talking about? Edit: just seen them in the other picture

My calorifer has the fittings for both coils in the same place.

I don't think I'd buy an old calorifer. It could be leaking for all you know.

I don;t think I'd buy it either, but for a different reason. Assuming the upper connections with the red caps IS a second coil, the coil in the top part of the cylinder so will only heat 50% of the water at best, possibly less. Coils only heat the water at their level and higher.

This is probably why the calorifier was removed and why the seller is being so circumspect. It does have a second coil, but it barely works.

MtB

It IS an old cylinder. I recognise the style from when we were building in the '90s. At that time the chandlery were very good on price - so I bought a Land Rover full of 'stuff' from them.

The calorifiers were bought in from a local lad who assembled them from bought in components. Worked well for eight years of real use, but failed due to pitting around the join between the top bell (?) and the body. I suspect the top area was too thin caused by the forming process. Thus unrepairable.

IIRC the coils were interleaved (rather than one on top of the other). However, I'm in agreement with Mr. Fincher - looking at the blanking plugs it would appear that one coil was not used - implying a 'one on top of the other' arrangement. Would this be too much of a disadvantage? Use the bottom coil for the engine heating as there's lots of waste energy, and the top coil for the ebersplutter where there's less surplus energy.

In the final analysis if (and likely) quite old, I suspect that it might not last long because the constant flexing of the material - both heating up and cooling down plus changes in water from none to full plus fluctuations will weaken the structure. That could be why so-called-marine units are made of thicker material than domestic units.

If the OP is prepared to take a punt - then perhaps somewhere around £60 might be a good gamble. You won't know if the unit is broken, until it is. Mine weeped for a week or two until it failed completely with pinholes all around the join. Soldering was totally ineffective as the metal was so thin.

Hi, I've been looking at this calorifier for sale on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321670257974?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The seller doesn't know anything about calorifiers, and can't tell me if it's single or twin coil. I want a twin coil.

I always get worried when a seller knows nothing about the goods he is selling.

Is it stolen?

Is it a load of rubbish and his answer will be "I said I knew nothing about it"?