Battery Terminal Adapters

Old Son

Featured Posts

I have a battery which has flat terminals on top which holds the cables with a single bolt through the middle. My cables are connected to battery terminals which fit on round stump terminals on the battery.

Is there any where I can buy an adapter to enable my terminals to fit the new battery?

Cargo terminals is what you need I think

Clicky

I bought some recently for a battery installation I did. Be aware positive and negative posts are different diameters so you need to buy both.

The ones I bought came from a local auto spares shop in Marple

Sorry Bazza they will not do, (cargo terminals) are for round battery posts and Old Son has flat (bar) vertical posts.

The only method I know of is to change the cable terminations to 'ring terminals'.

There is one advantage to having 'ring terminals' on the cable ends is, if you go back to batteries with round terminals then an adaptor (cargo) terminals are available.

It seems to be some sort of browser thing.

Having done some experimentation, using Chrome or Firefox, Bazza's link opens a Google search for "cargo battery terminals", and produces pictures of battery connections.

But on IE and my Blackberry browser (on which I wrote my first reply) it opens a search for "cargo terminals", and gives pictures of airport freight facilities and warehouses!!

They do exist. Made of lead and "crimped" firmly into place as the terminal pinchbolt is tightened. I have only seen them on cheap one size fits all batteries where one part number is adapted to multiple applications. I wouldn't recommend them however as there is a tendency for white corrosion to set in between the terminal and the adaptor giving a high resistance connection. Put ring terminals on, should you later revert to post type terminals you can use terminals with vertical studs which are a good idea anyway.

So you need something like this, if the threads are the same:

30687.jpg

But since any of these adaptors only seem to be available in the US, changing to ring terminals would give you more flexibility for the future.

My Lucas AGM batteries purchased from Midland Chandlers about 12 months ago came with these (removable) terminals. Prehaps they came help.

Frank

Aha!

A sealed (probably) battery intended for use in an UPS system.

I had one very s/h unit bought many years ago (which I used for a standby generator). It lasted for several years even though I rarely charged up. It outlived two conventional units bought new. I was suitably impressed.

So perhaps these can be an inexpensive source of power (as can retired fork lift truck or golf cart batteries)??

Charge them slowly and discharge quickly - sounds ideal??

I have a battery which has flat terminals on top which holds the cables with a single bolt through the middle. My cables are connected to battery terminals which fit on round stump terminals on the battery.

Is there any where I can buy an adapter to enable my terminals to fit the new battery?

These are what you need, I sttock them but this supplier is cheaper. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/35AH-or-Above-SAE-Battery-Terminal-Post-Convertor-Replacement-Nickel-Tin-Plated-/280826973393?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4162978cd1

• Greenie 1