How do these lights come out

Featured Posts

Sorry but I'm having a thick moment here, how do these ceiling lights come out to replace them?

If they're like the ones I installed at home there are wire spring clips on the back of the mount ring which hold it against the ceiling. You should be able to gently prise the ring away with a suitable thin flat object, taking care to avoid scratching the wood - perhaps using a well worn screwdriver blade or a table knife - and the fitting will come out.

If you just want to replace the bulb, there should be a circular wire clip around the inside of the mounting ring, with its ends bent up a little. You can remove this with a fingernail, and the bulb should drop out, hanging on the end of its connector wire.

Edited by David Mack

they look like some we have here at work. They should just pull downwards and have spring arms behind that snap into place to hold them up. Try by putting something like a knife carefully under the edge without damaging the wood and pulling the light unit down.

Tim

As said above. You can see the spring 'arms' in the pic that hold the fitting in place. Gently prise down the outer ring and the whole fitting should pop out.

ETA if it's just the lamp (bulb) you want to change, squeeze the little legs together of the wire ring that holds it in place and it will fall down suspended on the wires

9ae25388-5291-4ec2-bb0b-630baa510049_zps

Edited by Kendal

If you want to change the fitting as well, then may I suggest removing the lamp first. If you do this you can access the spring fittings holding the thing up against the ceiling through the circular opening in the center, eliminating the need to risk scratching the woodwork. Be careful as you get them out, they can be a bit like mouse traps and try and try to bite you...

Thanks for all the replies, the photo of one before installation was particularly helpful. I had a feeling that they must 'pop' out in some fashion but then didn't want to try to force it in case there was some other more subtle way of fitting. I'll give it a try tomorrow to see if I can fix it (I only need to change the bulb).

Thanks for all the replies, the photo of one before installation was particularly helpful. I had a feeling that they must 'pop' out in some fashion but then didn't want to try to force it in case there was some other more subtle way of fitting. I'll give it a try tomorrow to see if I can fix it (I only need to change the bulb).

Do bear in mind that the photo is of a different type of light fitting to what you have!

Kendal's pic is of an MR16 / GU10 style fitting, whereas your pic is of a G4 fitting.

Many of these cabinet lights do have spring clips holding the frosted glass in place, but I can't see anything like that in your photo, so I'd agree with Meggers that the most likely way yours come undone is to twist the brass surround, which will then likely drop down to release the frosted glass cover. They can be quite tricky to undo & replace IME!

I'm not good at posting pics, but if you search for 'G4 cabinet light recessed' using your search engine of choice, you'll find loads of pics.

The bulb will stay attached to the main body of the light when the cover comes off.

One thing to be aware of when you change the bulb is to try to use whatever wrapping the new bulb comes in & avoid touching the glass envelope, otherwise the residue from oils on your fingers can cause hotspots on the new bulb, which can cause premature failure (assuming you're replacing like for like & not going down the LED replacement route!).

Hope this helps,

Richard

Having a few moments to spare today I decided to try to remove the light, and those of you who went for the 'unscrew the brass ring' approach (Meggers & Lampyrichard) were correct! I had tried unscrewing it before but it seemed to have siezed on probably from not have been removed for about 14 years, but with a little more effort, away it came. Thanks again for your suggestions.