...dongle...

one of the hidden

Featured Posts

Hello Everybody!:)

I've been using a Huawei E3131 dongle, which connects up to a TV aerial via a special connector, for almost 2 years now & i think its now past its best.

Could anybody recommend a dongle that can be connected upto a TV aerial, or even a way of connecting to mobile internet that may be better.

My service provider is 3 mobile, £15 for 10GB per month.

Thankyou! :)

From Huawei's net site:

"Huawei is dedicated to expanding network capacity, enhancing network enablement, and optimizing network management. We continuously innovate new architectures (SoftCOM), unified platforms, and new technologies. By delivering cutting-edge products and solutions that feature smooth evolution, we help customers build networks that are both simple yet efficient."

Yet you say 2 years old and now past its best? The proof is in the pudding?

How about contacting Huawei and asking for a free replacement?

Cutting-edge products they say! I say "5-minute wonders". I would say avoid anything Made in China. But there are others who endorse Chinese products.

Are there 'dongles' (in Finnish 'mokkula') made by countries such as UK, Germany, Scandinavia, USA, France, Czechoslovakia? The Czechs have a good reputation for quality.

Am I the only one to be disappointed and dismayed at the lack of quality of Chinese products?

Hello Everybody!smile.png

I've been using a Huawei E3131 dongle, which connects up to a TV aerial via a special connector, for almost 2 years now & i think its now past its best.

Could anybody recommend a dongle that can be connected upto a TV aerial, or even a way of connecting to mobile internet that may be better.

My service provider is 3 mobile, £15 for 10GB per month.

Thankyou! smile.png

Go to a three store and ask about there mobile wifi i just got there 4g model on a pay and go no contract just top up when needed seems to work very well indeed suits me fine coverage seems the best of all providers to

I've used 2 Huawei products and both have performed exactly as they should do - so I'll answer the last question first and say whilst you might not be the only one, I'm not one of them.

To the original poster: what do you mean by "past its best"? If the aerial socket is worn or damaged, then I guess its fair wear and tear if plugged in and unplugged - the connectors are delicate and not really specified for multiple/many unplugs. If its signal is weaker and weaker, then it could well be due to a change by the network provider - they do turn masts on and off, and upgrade others, alter the traffic that goes through them etc from time to time.

As for suggesting a replacement, I'd recommend a Mi-Fi rather than dongle, this means there would ne no 'wired' connection from laptop to the aerial, which might partly explain why yours is worn out. Its bad enough having to plug in a laptop, I'd not want to be tied down with a delicate wire to the aerial. I personally use an E5756 which is a 3G Mi-Fi with a TS9 aerial socket but if I were to buy again, I might spend a bit more on "futureproofing" and go for something similar with 4G.

On the right tariff '3' will supply a MiFi 'dongle' which could be at a competitive price - that depends on supply and demand - I got mine from eBay, but I do exercise a modicum of patience and wait / bid for a reasonable price. Sometimes a good deal can be had from Amazon.

I will take issue with Emerald Fox - virtually everything electric is made in China nowadays, you just have to be careful. The supplier in question is Huawei and they make a helluva lot of high quality kit - some of which is even used by our Government (that might not say a lot)

If I read the initial post correctly - you connect it to a tv aerial ????? It needs a dedicated and specific antenna. Either a 'whip' or if your signal is weak then possibly a yagi type, but these are not cheap - have a look at Solwise for ideas.

I wouldn't bother with 4G if you get a weak signal (as you imply), but go for a 3G model.

I use an Huawei E5332 which is a MiFi unit with an aerial socket. For me it works better than any modem dongle. Not only that, but it has wireless built in - meaning that you can use your laptop (or even a desktop PC with a cheap adaptor) anywhere in the boat. I use a laptop and The Management uses her Hudl and at the same time.

You can get a good used one from eBay from around £20, whereas the latest 4G types go for nearly £100. Spend the extra on a good antenna!

It's an involved subject - no absolute answer - just many variations on the same theme.

Hi there all

Ring up three up,go to option leaving 3, to cancel your monthly contract, saying your going else where

They will offer you 15 gb, just like that.

I've done it and 2 others

Tell them, you know others are getting 15 gb so why are you still on 10

All the best

Col

Hi there all

Ring up three up,go to option leaving 3, to cancel your monthly contract, saying your going else where

They will offer you 15 gb, just like that.

I've done it and 2 others

Tell them, you know others are getting 15 gb so why are you still on 10

All the best

Col

From Huawei's net site:

"Huawei is dedicated to expanding network capacity, enhancing network enablement, and optimizing network management. We continuously innovate new architectures (SoftCOM), unified platforms, and new technologies. By delivering cutting-edge products and solutions that feature smooth evolution, we help customers build networks that are both simple yet efficient."

Yet you say 2 years old and now past its best? The proof is in the pudding?

How about contacting Huawei and asking for a free replacement?

Cutting-edge products they say! I say "5-minute wonders". I would say avoid anything Made in China. But there are others who endorse Chinese products.

Are there 'dongles' (in Finnish 'mokkula') made by countries such as UK, Germany, Scandinavia, USA, France, Czechoslovakia? The Czechs have a good reputation for quality.

Am I the only one to be disappointed and dismayed at the lack of quality of Chinese products?

judging by the number of people using iPads and iPhones (made in China ) I would say yes, you're in a very small minority. the phones made in your country by Nokia are pretty good ( oh sorry they are made in China too)

typical jingoistic nonsense.

to the OP; what issue are you having?

run speedtest.net or the app and compare with people around you.

if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Edited by Alf Roberts

judging by the number of people using iPads and iPhones (made in China ) I would say yes, you're in a very small minority. the phones made in your country by Nokia are pretty good ( oh sorry they are made in China too)

typical jingoistic nonsense.

to the OP; what issue are you having?

run speedtest.net or the app and compare with people around you.

if it ain't broke don't fix it.

I have an old Huwawei MiFi which has served me well and been on numerous boats. I used a new one recently and the performance was better, it connected faster and the battery life was longer. I'm going to buy another one.