Autosave of as yet unmade posts - can you get back what has gone missing?

Featured Posts

Sometimes as I am typing a post I see messages implying what I have typed is being auto-saved.

I have just managed to lose a load of stuff I had typed up, but not yet posted, and, as usual, I can't find a way of getting it back.

Is it possible, and, if not, what is the point of the auto-save messages, please?

I've tried in the past with no success.

Same here - it implies that your posts are being saved somewhere in 'draft' form but I have never found where they are when I have lost stuff before.

Perhaps they are autosaved for admin's perusal and they'll one day put together a compilation of "Nonsense posts that never made it to screen"

Could certainly explain why so many of mine get lost in this manner!

Right, I'm just going to attempt to recover all this once the autosave has kicked in. The trouble is, it isn'tdoing

The above was autosaved. I reloaded the page, and bottom left of the (now empty) posting box appeared 'View autosaved content' which I clicked on and another box came up with a 'Restore' button. Clicked on that. Nothing happened. Tried again. And again. Bingo! It came back. But only at the third attempt.

So it works, but reluctantly.

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

OK, I'll experiment with that too, as I don't ever recall actually seeing "View autosaved content" or similar.

Not helped by the fact I'm not seeing any messages about autosaving either ! - I wonder what the delay time is to get an "autosave"?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well that was partially successful - managed to get back what is above, though it was not the whole content - I'll wait to see what happens if I have potentially lost loads!

Edited by alan_fincher

On occassions in the past, if I know I am going to make a long and detailed post, I have written it in Word and then copy and pasted it, by which time the thread has usually moved on!!!

Yes, on the (very) rare occasions I've made a long post, I've first composed it in a word processing program.

For a few years now I've been using this free application: -

http://getlazarus.com/download

Once you get it loaded and have sorted out your settings the Lazarus icon will appear on your "Right Click" every time your cursor is in a form or field for filling.

You'll then have access to everything you've typed up to the default time you set.

No need to lose anything again.

Woo Hoo!

• 2 weeks later...