I Pod Docking Station

Retardedrocker

Featured Posts

This isn't really a boaty question, but since I live aboard, I suppose everything is.

I was finally dragged into the 21st century and bought an I-Pod Classic, 160 gig and have put all my tunes on it. I have an inexpensive docking station but, since I can't get through the day without music, I thought I might invest in a decent one.

Any suggestions? I was thinking in terms of maybe Bose or Sony. I'd love a B&O, but a grand is a bit much.

Cheers,

T.

I'm not sure it would work, because theClassic doesn't have Bluetooth. Mind you, I know nothing about this stuff, so that could be irrelevant .

Cheers, T.

It doesn't have Bluetooth correct. You can however get a Bluetooth transmitter for them which I have never tried personally but people seem to have had success with them.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/KOKKIA-Transmitter-authentication-capabilities-generation/dp/B004SH40BQ/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1422729042&sr=1-3&keywords=ipod+classic+bluetooth+transmitter

You can get cheaper ones that are not authorised by Apple which may work but may also not be fully compatible and/or may throw up errors on your iPod.

They plug in to the 30 pin connector on the bottom edge where your cable connects. Personally I would stick with the docking station connection idea though.

As for make, go Bose if you can afford it.

I have a Sony one though and the sound is pretty good. That is upstairs and downstairs we have a Pure one which works as a docking station or an AirPlay speaker. That one sounds pretty good too. The Sound is better when docked than it is when using AirPlay though hence my earlier comment.

Edited by The Dog House

I thought long and hard about buying a Bose Soundlink Mini for £180 . Its one of the best things I've bought. The sound is amazing. I've also got a JBL Flip, which is good, but nowhere near as good as the Bose.

The Soundlink Mini is not really any good for an ipod as it does not have a dock, but they seem to have sound quality cracked in this small speaker market.

I'm not sure it would work, because theClassic doesn't have Bluetooth. Mind you, I know nothing about this stuff, so that could be irrelevant .

Cheers, T.

I recently bought the Bose mini speaker, which I think is the one you are referring to. It's Bluetooth yes, but you can also plug an iPod or other into it with a cable. Fantastic sound quality!

I thought long and hard about buying a Bose Soundlink Mini for £180 . Its one of the best things I've bought. The sound is amazing. I've also got a JBL Flip, which is good, but nowhere near as good as the Bose.

The Soundlink Mini is not really any good for an ipod as it does not have a dock, but they seem to have sound quality cracked in this small speaker market.

That's the one I've bought.

On our boat we have a Pioneer XHM21 mini system. CD player, DAB radio with USB, Ipod dock and Bluetooth. Cost about £150 from Richer Sounds. I don't have an Ipod I've got a Samsung Galaxy S3 phone with a 32GB SD Card which I don't use as a phone any more I just use it for music playback with it's bluetooth.

British designed and built Minirig has been recommended in other threads.

Still to actually hear one, but some further homework has given me the confidence to buy a couple of their speakers and a sub.

Not cheap at £340 for the three, but it's difficult to find anything negative written about them.

Charging is simple via USB and lasts ages.

Uses wires rather than Bluetooth.

The sub is optional - in fact some only invest initialy in a single speaker or pair of speakers.

Plan to feed them from TV, car stereo and iPad and to fit them during a partial refit in the spring, so will report back then.

I paid a visit to Currys/PCWorld this morning to do the deed............and was seriously disappointed.

It would appear that, because of our good friends at Apple, the major dock manufacturers now only produce models to suit the new(ish) lightning 8 pin devises. Searching on the internet seems to confirm this.

My Classic, of course, has the antique 30 pin socket (belongs in a museum really or the bin. After all, it must be 6 months old now) and Apple are so keen on selling everyone their latest kit that they don't offer an adaptor. You can get cheapo Chinese ones, but nothing with a recognisable name.

The result is that I have bought a used Bose Sound Dock series 2 on EBay.

Sad isn't it?

T.

Sad isn't it?

T.

That's Apple for you.

Well not really no, its called progress. The need to make the connector smaller came about as a result of devices getting smaller, lighter and and thinner, why have a big wide 30 pin connector when a small neat 8 pin one will do the job just as well. The lightning connector is also reputed to be more robust.

Its the same progress that is seeing HDMI replace SCART and Micro USB replace, mini USB and USB and so on. So it's not really something specific to Apple.

You can get adapters so that you can use a Lightning equipped Apple device with a dock with a 30 pin adapter but unfortunately not the other way around. So your lightning equipped device can be made backwards compatible with your existing kit no problem. You cant however make it 'forwards compatible' which I don't think is that unusual in the electronics industry.

You have a point Martin and no, I can't and don't blame Apple for developing their products.

The problem, I believe, is the speed at which consumer goods, particularly electronics, become effectively obsolete.

Apple withdrew the Classic from their range only a few months ago and virtually immediately the 'industry' switched to the new connection.

Are we really supposed to smile while we scrap our virtually new gear and dash to the shops to buy the latest offering?

I don't much like the 21st century. Must be getting old and cantankerous !

Cheers,

T.

Pity that Apple have withdrawn the iPod Classic.

I have a 9 year old 60Gb one still going strong. It has been used daily from new and the battery still lasts about 9 hours. It has never missed a beat, despite being dropped under a tube train. Luckily the wheels missed it!

Looking ahead to thr inevitable day it fails, does anyone still do an MP3 player with a hard drive of 60Gb or more?

We've got a a BOSE Soundlink Mini in the Bedroom which for its size is very beefy. 3.5mm Jack Plug is used for anything that can't be bluetoothed. We have a B&W A7 in the saloon same applies anything that does not have wifi gets connected by the 3.5mm Jack socket.

Lots of decent speakers available don't get fixated on the dock part and there will be even more choice.

I am wading in behind the Bose Sounddock as well. I've had mine years and the sound quality is awesome. A really great piece of kit - I am not sure how Bose get that kind of quality out of such a small unit as this - but as a musician that is VERY picky about the way my music sounds, this is quite simply the best. Although I agree that the dock change is an issue, mine allows you to plug in any device through a mini jack plug, so you're not just stuck with one particular iPod or phone - lots of other sources can be attached, including my aged Sony Mini Disk player!