Rayburn Royal SF cooker with boiler

peterboat

Featured Posts

On the original boiler I would think 3 -4 rads. I installed a black rayburn Supreme and it heated 8 rads or a 4 bed detached stone property. It was fully reconditioned and heated the rads very well. It did use a lot of fuel but at least the customer was delighted by my plumbing work and having central heating.

These people make boilers. Never used them though.

http://www.goddardengineering.com/purchase-a-boiler/rayborn-royal

Jamescheers.gif

Thanks for the link James I will give them a go the stage 1 would be right for me I think. I am paying 18 squids for anthracite my plan is to use wood when I am in the boat. I have bought a 100 litre calorex calorifier which is big enough for my needs so more heat should get to rads. I will have an escape towel rad in the bathroom as its an easy one to do then 4 other rads in the boat one in the same room as the Rayburn which might not be needed. The calorifier and escape rad will be gravity the rest pumped when the tank stat says the water is hot enough. My wheelhouse is double glazed and insulated so is warm, and the boat is well insulated. I think this is one of those suck it and see situations, I do have a bubble oil stove in the bedroom which is connected into the central heating and also the whispergen which does the same.

Petericecream.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Update time. Since buying the Rayburn I have also bought a heatstore as well, my plan is to put the calorifier above the heatstore. Which will be next to the Rayburn. The outputs from my Rayburn, engine and bubble stove will feed into the heatstore which will then feed the calorifier by gravity and the radiators by pump. The heatstore has fantastic insulation and in the winter it means my radiators will heat up whilst cruising as well as a cylinder full of hot water at the end. I cannot do these jobs until early summer due to a shoulder op on the 4th of March which is going to disable me for 3 months

Ps I have bought all of the above from ebay for a song total convert clapping.gif

Peter

I am hoping that I have secured a Rayburn royal.

I have a Question

When plumbing it in, should the original plastic heating radiator pipes be changed for copper

Also the pipe work runs through my ebespacher, is this okay?

Col

Ps Peter. I know you have your operation soon, but have you been able NOT to start playing with your new toy/ installation yet?

You need copper out of the boiler mine will be short as the heat store will be next to the Rayburn out off the heat store to the rads will be plastic because that is what is there. Its normally a couple of meters out of the boiler so thats what I would aim for. I would have to know how things are plumbed in to work out your stuff but in my case it has been no problems with my whispergen. I have not done anything yet as my shoulder is cream crackered now and it will be late spring before I am sorted angry.png

Peter

IWere now the proud owner, abite half on the boat, and the main body in the Garden.

Cream in colour, kitchen has been change to accommodate our new addition.

We're are having the main body craned in on the 9th of March.

For some reason feeling excited lol

As soon as we saw it, I knew it's going to look good and be apart of our family.

Looking forward to having it run our heating.

Col

Pleased for you Colin, mine is living on the bank on a pallet all covered up to keep him dry. I am collecting everything I need before starting the restyle even down to the colour coded sink sad or what. What are you doing about the base for the beast

Peter

These used to be so cheap! I bought 2 one week for a fiver each 25 years ago, installed the best one and scrapped the other. I managed to make bread in it but feeding it was like shovelling fuel into the flying Scotsman, they must be the least efficient heating/cooking stove known to man. But they do look nice and create a lovely atmosphere...

These used to be so cheap! I bought 2 one week for a fiver each 25 years ago, installed the best one and scrapped the other. I managed to make bread in it but feeding it was like shovelling fuel into the flying Scotsman, they must be the least efficient heating/cooking stove known to man. But they do look nice and create a lovely atmosphere...

I have a 10 kw stove with backboiler at the moment so it can eat fuel but when turned down its ok I think it will cost me about 18 quid a week on coal plus wood so it wont be to bad. Its in a large room 17 x 12 foot escape radiator in the bathroom. I have had a few of these in the past and love the way they cook so really looking forward to using it

Peter

The Rayburn is in the kitchen, we are changing pipe for all copper.

Being installed Gravity fed, but also have circulation pump for back up.

I've asked the question before but can or how do we do the plumbing connect to ebespacher for a back up heating?

So we have the solid fuel heating, also can use the ebespacher if we choose not to have the Rayburn on.

Many thanks in advance

Col

The Rayburn is in the kitchen, we are changing pipe for all copper.

Being installed Gravity fed, but also have circulation pump for back up.

I've asked the question before but can or how do we do the plumbing connect to ebespacher for a back up heating?

So we have the solid fuel heating, also can use the ebespacher if we choose not to have the Rayburn on.

Many thanks in advance

Col

Normally with a neutralizer in a house and its what I am doing in my boat. It is the most effective method I dont know how to draw on here so cant help beyond that

could explain on phone

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

We'll have to say delighted with our new but secondhand RAyburn.

We managed in the end, had a great guy Jason who with rollers and block and tackle got our RAyburn in the boat. With boards planks and ar the end 3 guys helping it down the ramp placed on the staircase.

It's was positioned, and 1 kitchen cupboard discarded. Worktop cut, all work being carried out by Guy called Jason in the yard here

Having installed a stainless flue, re cementing firebricks and renewing rope seals.

The old plastic central heating pipe, replaced with copper, and installed on the boat for gravity fed system.

Last night lighting the RAyburn for the ist time, bleeding balancing we have solid fuel central heating.!!! One rad only hot at the top, but Jason's back today for more fiddling.

Have to say, last night had to turn heating right down, really hot, our bedroom and bathroom are lovely and warm.

RAyburn Ticked over all night whole boat warm, just ticking over. Although not really cold out there at the moment, the raburns on its lowest setting, but we have warmth!!! All over the boat.

I would post photos but my gallery is full? Can't delete, so can not put new ones on?

Can't wait for winter lol

Col

Well done Col pleased that you are pleased if I was just putting mine in the kitchen it would be easy. But I am moving the kitchen and other stuff around so it will be a big job. Also my op was cancelled because I have a cough I am starting the job this weekend so later this year I am hoping for warm boar as well icecream.gif

Peter

Well the stove is in the boat 315 kilos of stove moved by 2 guys and a bit of engineering its now where its going to live will have it coupled up in a week or so will be glad when its done as I hate my boat when its all upside down

Peter

Hmmmmm, tempting, very tempting....it MUST be a baby blue. Otherwise, I wouldn't be able to play Dylan tracks upon supper completion, eh! smile.png x

It is a baby blue and it is up and running so pie night beckons shortly it is heating the water and rads nicely next week its install the the rest of the stuff and finish of moving the kitchen to its new home I think you need one of these Richard x

Peter

Well nearly one week on and the Rayburn is working well the boat isnt to hot and food from the oven is so much better than from the gas oven must be the indirect heat. I will be glad when the hot water side is sorted properly on a gravity system rather than pumped. It isnt bad to run either no worse than the stove previously so a success is declared clapping.gif

Peter

Had our RAyburn up and running for last 3 weeks

Had some air bleeding problems, still to be honest just in one rad but have central heating now!!

And I can't understand why more boats and people haven't got it!

I haven't had myt new eberspacher on since!!

I can't see no use for it now, poss maybe in the Summer months?

But this RAyburn is doing great, love to post a pic of the beauty, but haven't got enough space in my

gallery.

We also plumbed the eberspacher and Rayburn with a jabsco circulation pump all on the same pipe run

No valves to turn one system on or off. Heating will work partially without the pump

If I want the Rayburn off,fine, if I want the eberspacher on, just press the eberspacher on

On top of it all, a lot lot lot less ash dust!!

It's a no brainer

Anyone please think about a RAyburn, you can't even say it's too big, under 860 long approx

Take a normal grill and oven, plus the log burner in the lounge it saves space !!

Peter. It's the best thing I did, it's warm throughout the boat at all times.

Rayburn Rules!!

Thankyou all for your help advice and the posts

Wouldn't have got here without you.

Edited by bigcol

Hi Peter

Testing the water lol,

But yes. Were lot happier knowing that we have heating that heats the whole boat.

And we're on top of the power as well, taken a bit of time, but cross fingers were there!

Why don't more boats have a RAyburn?

Col

Edited by bigcol

Hi Col,

Similar story here boat warm water hot cooking sorted just got to move the old kitchen into the new Kitchen lounge and extend the bedroom into the old kitchen and I will be finished as well!!!! MY friend Richard is coming over this evening to try out the Rayburn if he likes it I think he is going to install one as well :) so maybe all those old and unwated Rayburs will be rehomed on boats :)

Peter

• 1 month later...

Just an update on the Rayburn.

When I first installed it the hot water was pumped I have now got a heatstore next to it and a calorifier to the left of it all pipes for engine Rayburn and central heating run into the heat store, The system might seem complicated but in practice it is awesome. Hot rads from the engine as well as hot water the perfik thing for winter cruising.

The Rayburn itself is great for cooking with and the hot water and rads whilst cooking is the icing on the cake which incidentally it bakes very well clapping.gif .

Today we set of from Bramith to return to Rotherham it was coldish and wet first thing within a short time the rads were warm and all was well in our world, I did a wash and by the time we had got to Rotherham all clothes dried bonus.

So happy days to all you Rayburners out there

Peter