Rayburn Royal SF cooker with boiler

peterboat

Featured Posts

Hi there Peter

I'm envious, really envious, really really want one.

And yes I've looked at eBay, and yes been some bargains.

The problem I have is you have to be careful not to buy a pup.

So what would interest me, but can't seem to find is a Barry!.

to buy one,deliver and install in situ, but it's rare.

It's such a consuming job, and please keep us informed how it's getting on.

To buy one from eBay I need a van and strong guys to pickup get it installed.

I just want to make a wish, and it appear!! Lol

Hi Col we collected it yesterday 5 of us to get it on the very low trailer. We at this end wheeled it to the boat where it awaits a space being created and enough bodies to get it downstairs. We are using building planks and cut down scaffold poles to roll it down. After I bought this one a friend told me of another much closer its in cream with backboiler but flu on the right which was not what I wanted. I have just purchased a 20 gallon hot water cylinder to go with it I will let you know how it goes captain.gif but it should be in by the end of this month

Peter

Hi there Peter

I think Ive been looking at the cream one you mentioned ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261752234419?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The problem I have it's going to mean by rooflight has to be removed, and craned,forklifted in both on site

My door way with just 3 steps is 60 cm width

I just want it to appear in the kitchen

Col. please let us know how you get on

Edited by bigcol

Hi Col we collected it yesterday 5 of us to get it on the very low trailer. We at this end wheeled it to the boat where it awaits a space being created and enough bodies to get it downstairs. We are using building planks and cut down scaffold poles to roll it down. After I bought this one a friend told me of another much closer its in cream with backboiler but flu on the right which was not what I wanted. I have just purchased a 20 gallon hot water cylinder to go with it I will let you know how it goes captain.gif but it should be in by the end of this month

Peter

Welcome to the Rayburn club! there may be times when you curse it (allowed) or kick it (not advisable) but I would be willing to wager that you'll never want any other cooker. We started on a reconditioned Royal and graduated to a new 460K about three years ago. They're lovely unless you want to grill anything the same day.

When Barry Charman delivered our first one some eight years ago he got it out of his van, along the driveway, into the house, through the sun room, across the kitchen and on to its location - all on his own. Now he's a big lad, and he did have Oscar the brown Labrador to assist him, but it was a marvel to watch his technique, learned no doubt from years of experience. Several rolling things and a close knowledge of fulcrum points were involved.

Edited by Athy

Hi there Peter

I think Ive been looking at the cream one you mentioned ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261752234419?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The problem I have it's going to mean by rooflight has to be removed, and craned,forklifted in both on site

My door way with just 3 steps is 60 cm width

I just want it to appear in the kitchen

Col. please let us know how you get on

No Col its a friend that told me of the closer one its just down the road and has not been advertised yet. The doorway into my boat is not much wider than yours and height wise it should be ok. We are going to Cambridge this weekend to pick up the calorifier a stainless steel beasty of 20 gallons which will sit next to the rayburn and work on gravity. I am going to modify the heating system on Joyce whilst fitting the rayburn as its never been as good as it should

Peter

Welcome to the Rayburn club! there may be times when you curse it (allowed) or kick it (not advisable) but I would be willing to wager that you'll never want any other cooker. We started on a reconditioned Royal and graduated to a new 460K about three years ago. They're lovely unless you want to grill anything the same day.

When Barry Charman delivered our first one some eight years ago he got it out of his van, along the driveway, into the house, through the sun room, across the kitchen and on to its location - all on his own. Now he's a big lad, and he did have Oscar the brown Labrador to assist him, but it was a marvel to watch his technique, learned no doubt from years of experience. Several rolling things and a close knowledge of fulcrum points were involved.

I used to have an oil esse in my old cottage which we loved dearly and I fitted a balanced flue twin burner Aga in another house which was equally good clapping.gif So I have the fingers crossed for the rayburn cant wait for the first meat and potato pie to be made in it icecream.gif The previous beasts I installed with only a friend to help but the years have not been kind to my back so many hands make light work.......................I HOPE

Peter

I used to have an oil esse in my old cottage which we loved dearly and I fitted a balanced flue twin burner Aga in another house which was equally good clapping.gif So I have the fingers crossed for the rayburn cant wait for the first meat and potato pie to be made in it icecream.gif The previous beasts I installed with only a friend to help but the years have not been kind to my back so many hands make light work.......................I HOPE

Peter

Best of luck with it, you are evidently a fellow range-cooker buff/ enthusiast/ nut!

Hi Peter

I've been online checking the diamentions,

Re that link I sent you on the Rayburn on eBay. It's the same as yours?

Please if you have the time could you let me know,the depth, as in measure tape please. If you don't mind

My opening doorway is 59.5 cm that's it! It's going to be tight, or I'm thinking its a no

Are there handles doors that can be taken of making it easier.

If not I will think hard about the Nordic,or the other I've seen these are 57 cm less than 60 cm anyway lol.

Many many thanks

Col

Edited by bigcol

Col, you can take off the front mounting handle, the doors, the enamelled top and the smokebox so it's just the chassis. That should take it down to just under 500mm deep if it's a Rayburn Royal, Regent, or any of the modern 200 series. I hope that helps - just Google for dimensions. Obviously, the top might take some taking off but it is possible. It'll still be under 590mm even if it's still got its doors on.

Col, you can take off the front mounting handle, the doors, the enamelled top and the smokebox so it's just the chassis. That should take it down to just under 500mm deep if it's a Rayburn Royal, Regent, or any of the modern 200 series. I hope that helps - just Google for dimensions. Obviously, the top might take some taking off but it is possible. It'll still be under 590mm even if it's still got its doors on.

Yes, the doors just lift off, thought their hinges still protrude a but. Is the front mounting handle what I call the "fiddle rail", the thing which you hang towels on? I guess it comes off (after all, it went on, so it should).

Yes, the doors just lift off, thought their hinges still protrude a but. Is the front mounting handle what I call the "fiddle rail", the thing which you hang towels on? I guess it comes off (after all, it went on, so it should).

Yep, it's a bolt into a thread on the chassis. Even though the door hinge fixings protrude, it isn't much more than 500mm and you can work the chassis through the door slightly diagonally. Everything else can be stripped off with patience.

http://www.countrystylecookers.com/royal-solid-fuel.php

Hi Col You will have plenty of room even with the towel/fiddle rail on. When in place there is a gap between the wall and the back of the Rayburn to bring the front of the Rayburn level with standard 600mm deep kitchen units. I am starting mine next week I have loads of stuff to move before the Rayburn can be put in place, so I will post how it goes :)

Peter

Hi just yet again

The earlier link re the RAyburn on eBay

What Rayburn is it?

This is of the Rayburn manual below

http://www.rayburn-web.co.uk/raytech/ident/ident2.htm

Re wriggle fingers and Athy posts re measurement I'm thinking of going for it.

If anyone has any comments re price or things I haven't thought of, how much to pay etc I would be very grateful, I will get him to fit the boiler, but I will get him to send it so any advice or comments may stop me wasting money

Col. Thanks all

Edited by bigcol

Hi Col,

It is a beauty I would put in a bid to win rather than the asking price back boilers are available new for 150 squids so as long as you pay under the buy it now price by about 500 squids you be well in profit. It is in better condition than mine but mine had to be a left hand flue and its baby blue icecream.gif which is what I wanted if you have any questions pm me with your number and I will call you ok

Peter

Hi Col,

I think it is a rayburn royal with late handles on it off a 200 the flue box looks like a 200 version as well. It has been reconditioned so these changes are to be expected, also the handles on yours are easier to use.

Peter

http://www.rayburn-web.co.uk/raytech/chtg2.htm

Re above link, how many kW does the royal give out to Central heating please?

Thought the pipe work diagram was good?

They talk that the royal can heat houses, I understand aga and bigger Rayburns if there are could.

Me being a numpty te plumbing and electrics see diagram is the 4 rads bedroom saloon, kitchen and bathroom, heat sink wheelhouse rad (higher) and expansion tank in wheel house bit higher that the heat sink rad? Should be done in a couple of hours lol

Col

Edited by bigcol

http://www.rayburn-web.co.uk/raytech/chtg2.htm

Re above link, how many kW does the royal give out to Central heating please?

Thought the pipe work diagram was good?

They talk that the royal can heat houses, I understand aga and bigger Rayburns if there are could.

Me being a numpty te plumbing and electrics see diagram is the 4 rads bedroom saloon, kitchen and bathroom, heat sink wheelhouse rad (higher) and expansion tank in wheel house bit higher that the heat sink rad? Should be done in a couple of hours lol

Col

A Rayburn will cook your food, heat your water and drive your central heating. At least, most models will, though not all.

In general (there may be exceptions amongst new models) an Aga will not. It's just a cooker, though as, unlike a Rayburn, it's on all the time, it will warm the space around it by radiating heat.

Hi Col,

The royal can heat rads but its not that good at it, its the size of the backboiler however you can buy a bigger backboiler which does the job fine. I am going to modify my boiler to make it larger or have one made as I have lots of coded welder friends. The later rayburns 216sf etc seem to have a bigger backboiler as standard so have no problems. I downloaded a rayburn book which explained a lot

Peter

On the original boiler I would think 3 -4 rads. I installed a black rayburn Supreme and it heated 8 rads or a 4 bed detached stone property. It was fully reconditioned and heated the rads very well. It did use a lot of fuel but at least the customer was delighted by my plumbing work and having central heating.

These people make boilers. Never used them though.

http://www.goddardengineering.com/purchase-a-boiler/rayborn-royal

Jamescheers.gif

Just thought you might like an update.

For the last 10 days I have been running my Royal on anthracite (large nuts) keeping it running quite hard all the time.

It has been running 5 radiators and 2 hotwater tanks. The rayburn itself providing heating for the saloon

The boat is an old Humber tanker barge 66' and 16.5' beam with a 10' x 12' wheelhouse so it is a big area.

Running on anthracite is the first time for ages that it has able to run all the tanks/radiators at the same time. Up till now I have had to either turn off the wheelhouse (which looses the most heat because of the large single gazed areas) or the hot water tanks, to keep the rest toasty.

It definitely likes anthracite and running hard. Keeping it in overnight means still keeping it running quite hard. If you close the air vent totally it will go out.

Cost wise not so good. I have averaged out the fuel consumption and it adds up to just fractionally under 4 days per 50kilos.

I have been paying £10.60 per 25kilo prepack bag of anthracite large nuts from my local coal merchant (delivered actually to jetty)

Running a Royal on wood does not produce anything like as much heat but is fine if you are only cooking and using direct heat from the stove for local warming and maybe some hot water

house coal and made up smokeless fuels are much better but anthracite is definitely the one to get the most Kw from

ETA P.S. thanks for the tip Wrigglefingers cheers.gif

Edited by John V

Yes, folks, that's my experience too, the 216fsw on Cobbett easily heats 4 radiators and a large domestic size tank and will cook roast dinner with style but it eats fuel. Your consumption figures look about right to me to me, John. I tend to throttle back once I've cooked though and that saves some anthracite. Rayburns like being driven hard through all fuel types.

My oil Royal at the cottage is costing about 3.50 a day atm because oil is so cheap; I paid 34p/lt last delivery of 1000l. Unfortunately, that only heats the cottage to above freezing; it's the storage heaters that eat electricity that are my problem!