Epping Stove damper/chimney box gone again

c c

Featured Posts

In the life of our Epping Stove the damper box that sits on the top connected to the chimney has had to be replaced twice. The second one has just disintegrated again around the base.

Assuming I can find a replacement, they are certainly not cheap AND......

I have never found any use for the damper. The one on the ashbox door seems enough to control the heat/burn-rate. If the top damper is not used then there is no use for the poorly fitting inspection door whose only purpose is to give access to free the corrosion that jams up the the damper butterfly and its very presence weakens the unit and causes the disintegration.

So my question is:

Does anyone make a simple connector to join the oval outlet on the top of the Epping stove to a round end of a standard chimney?

In the life of our Epping Stove the damper box that sits on the top connected to the chimney has had to be replaced twice. The second one has just disintegrated again around the base.

Assuming I can find a replacement, they are certainly not cheap AND......

I have never found any use for the damper. The one on the ashbox door seems enough to control the heat/burn-rate. If the top damper is not used then there is no use for the poorly fitting inspection door whose only purpose is to give access to free the corrosion that jams up the the damper butterfly and its very presence weakens the unit and causes the disintegration.

So my question is:

Does anyone make a simple connector to join the oval outlet on the top of the Epping stove to a round end of a standard chimney?

. I am in know way connected to smokey joe other than being a very happy customer but if you google him and give him a bell I,m sure he could help you out as he makes the chimneys that he sells and does,nt just sell on other peoples gear for profit, I found him a very friendly and helpful person to do business with hope that helps

Could be worthwhile having a word with forum member Kedian? he seems to be able to produce Narrow boat parts etc in steel, he could maybe help, or know someone that could maybe produce a steel one less damper, worth a try

I made the mistake of buying a alloy damper box from a well known chandelers. With being a different metal it corroeded the fire coller and that broke off.

If you mean the raised rim that the smoke/damper box fits over, in my experience it doesn't need any help to corrode.

I made one with a flat plate that bolted onto the top plate, which was cracked. And had an oval collar to take the Epping flue box. Going from oval to round in thick wall tube won't be easy.

The damper is the best way to force as much carbon monoxide out of all the gaps in an Epping as possible. Bin it if I were you.

( not doing any jobs at the moment though )

Thinking on it I'm inclined to agree Mine finally stuck in the full open position so it weren't an issue and I didn't miss it .

Pity the dam things are oval , if square like some of the older ranges it would be much easier to fabricate a replacement.

Got a reply from Pete who makes the Epping Stove and he confirms they now make the smokebox without damper or door but all current ones are for new stoves. The only spare he had was one made by mistake in some type of hardened steel!! so I have bought that at a very reasonable price.

Edited by canalchef