composting toilets

TaffyRon

Featured Posts

Hi Taff,

I have had a composting loo for over 2 years and my waste has mostly just gone in the composting bin I dont think it has ever been dry enough to burn

Peter

genuinely, do you think you could put a bit on the stove? I think it could be a good use, esp with kiln dried logs (which burn too fast)

What does the "finished product" cone out like?

can I convert my holding tank! Etc

Keep taking the piss taffy, anything will burn

I was not extracting the urine from the poo logs, although thats what I was asking, can you throw a log on the fire so to speak?

esp as xmas is coming, would love to burn my very own yule log too.

is there any fire hazard carrying the log across to the stove? I mean I dont want to get singed eyebrows, afterall, xmas dinner with mum around how do I explain that? "Oh mum I singed my eyebrows when my poo log caught fire" or "the turkey is done, tastes a bit gamey" these are big issues, like spearing brown trout in a barrel

Hi Taff burnt plenty of camel dung in the Gulf that burnt well dried in the sun nicely clapping.gif So what I suggest is an outside composting loo for you, mounted on the roof wheels on it would be good so that you could move it after every log to aid drying I could see a market for it detective.gif

Peter

• 1 month later...

How did this go? I'm going to build a compost loo soon, so burning my own logs sounds like an excellent plan ;-)

Good luck with your composting loo. Mine is working well and for me was the best choice I dont think I will ever burn the waste as it goes into my friends composting heap where it works well

Peter

A guy on Ebay is selling his own design ones that look very nice (and no less professional than the £600-£700 ones) for under £200.

I did ask how come they say not suitable for wet rooms on the ad, and he said due to the wood base, but for an additional fee, he could paint it with waterproofing material.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321637819395?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Edited by Starcoaster

That looks like a very good alternative for the much more expensive ones that are doing the same job.

It's looking good, the only thing I don't like is the use of some MDF in the construction.

But for that price you can't expect it to be made of gold of course.

Thanks for the link Starcoaster.

Peter.

Tehehe, I see he's using a really useful box! Mine has so far cost me £12 for the seat and £36 for the wee funnel. Just got to get a box and a bottle then build a base out of scrap MDF/chipboard/bendy ply :-)

I have been checking out the disposal options and came across these two pages: https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/news-and-views/features/grey-water-isnt-a-grey-areamentions no sewage into the water so I checked out : http://www.thameswater.co.uk/cycles/accessible/sewage_treatment.html which reads for children but sounds like a simple enough process and they use waste as a renewable energy, so it can be environmentally friendly, contrary to popular belief!

Cath.

Tehehe, I see he's using a really useful box! Mine has so far cost me £12 for the seat and £36 for the wee funnel. Just got to get a box and a bottle then build a base out of scrap MDF/chipboard/bendy ply :-)

I have been checking out the disposal options and came across these two pages: https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/news-and-views/features/grey-water-isnt-a-grey-areamentions no sewage into the water so I checked out : http://www.thameswater.co.uk/cycles/accessible/sewage_treatment.html which reads for children but sounds like a simple enough process and they use waste as a renewable energy, so it can be environmentally friendly, contrary to popular belief!

Cath.

Three and a half years it works for me and I only empty every four months or so

Peter

Yes, and yes. Roof or out of the hull above the water line. Fan draw is negligible, but if you're not generating power daily, a small solar panel is recommended.

If the fan is not on all the time, it soon starts to smell awful, both in the boat and on the towpath outside of it! (boat with a composter left moored by me, fan off for three days... )sick.gif

Yes, and yes. Roof or out of the hull above the water line. Fan draw is negligible, but if you're not generating power daily, a small solar panel is recommended.

If the fan is not on all the time, it soon starts to smell awful, both in the boat and on the towpath outside of it! (boat with a composter left moored by me, fan off for three days... )sick.gif

Bugger Mine stopped working last year luckily had just emptied it so it wasnt bad Maplins saved the day

Peter

Boaters fall into two categories.

1) Those who are determined to love composting bogs despite the evidence.

2) Those who are determined to hate composting bogs despite the evidence.

Remind you of anything??

Hope that helps...

MtB